You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Philippe Coutinho

Megadrive Man

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/80767/History/Philippe-Coutinho

26 assists and 26 goals for us in 133 games.

I say we hold onto him for another year and then see what's what. He's Brazilian, he's probably gagging to go to Barca, there's not a lot we can do about that other than try to get the most money possible, or get a quality player in p/x.

I say we hold onto him for another year and then see what's what. He's Brazilian, he's probably gagging to go to Barca, there's not a lot we can do about that other than try to get the most money possible, or get a quality player in p/x.

That's probably truer than I'd like it to be. And extending it to other South American players, despite all the criticism, I don't think there's anything the club could have done to keep Suarez or Mascherano when they wanted out too.

Klopp is well used to all that from the Dortmund/Bayern dynamic anyway. He has enough confidence in himself and his approach and his own recruitment policy that I can't see him giving that much of a fuck.

• Upvote 1

I agree this is probably true in most cases but I wonder if it is in Philippe's.

He started out at Inter, remember, another club that ranks pretty highly in Brasil.  It did not go well for him at all, and I've always had the impression that stuck with him in some way, that he realises that not every club suits every player, no matter how good he may be.  

Might be he'd be happy to stay with Liverpool as long as we're in that next bracket of clubs below Barca/Real/Bayern, and things are going well for him.  Obviously he's not going to stay forever if we're out the CL and struggling, but if we're up in the top 2-3 and looking likely to keep at that level at a minimum during Klopp's tenure, I think he might just persuade Coutinho to stick with us.

COUTINHO admits to GLOBO: "Playing on the left is my position at Liverpool. It's where I feel comfortable."

Answered this when asked where he most likes to play. Most want him to play in the #10 or in midfield but it seems he's really taken to the left side and he's really increased his goal tally since moving there.