You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

So?  

198 members have voted

1. 1. So?

• Alberto Aquilani
    • Phil Babb
    • Andy Carrol
    • Joe Cole
    • Salif Diao
    • El Hadji-Diouf
    • Paul Ince
    • Christian Poulsen
    • Paul Stewart
    • Other

Aquilani = £17m plus about £6m wages (assuming a fair chunk must have been covered while on loan ) minus about £3m sale price = c. £20m

Cole = £5m signing on fee plus £22.5m wages (assuming Lille covered half his wages for a year) = c.£27.5m.

So Cole is the clear winner unless anyone thinks we'll ever be able to sell him or off-load the rest of his contract somehow.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How much do you think we got? I don't reckon it was very much.

It's quite possible that Carroll will end up costing us more, but we just don't know that yet.

Fuck knows what we got for Aquilani. However I very much doubt we'll get at least £18mill for Carroll which will put his deal on the same level as the Aquilani fuck up transfer fee wise.

Aquilani = £17m plus about £6m wages (assuming a fair chunk must have been covered while on loan ) minus about £3m sale price = c. £20m

Cole = £5m signing on fee plus £22.5m wages (assuming Lille covered half his wages for a year) = c.£27.5m.

So Cole is the clear winner unless anyone thinks we'll ever be able to sell him or off-load the rest of his contract somehow.

Ouch. Cheers Cecil.

How the fuck do you work that out when he was on £135k p/w, and we had to pay him £12m just to leave?

He wasn't and we didn't.

He was on about 60k per week. The £135k figure which he "cost the club" was pure spun claptrap as it included both his wages, his purchase price spread over the period of his contract and probably the cost of washing his kit.

And file his £12m "exit fee" alongside the £16m we had to pay Rafa in 24 hours. Just more agenda driven bollocks.

He wasn't and we didn't.

He was on about 60k per week. The £135k figure which he "cost the club" was pure spun claptrap as it included both his wages, his purchase price spread over the period of his contract and probably the cost of washing his kit.

And file his £12m "exit fee" alongside the £16m we had to pay Rafa in 24 hours. Just more agenda driven bollocks.

Look, the £145k p/w figure has come from some pretty reputable sources. You've quite clearly got your own little agenda if you choose not to believe it.

Seriously?

You think we paid 18 million for Aquilani and then on top of that paid him 145k/week as a salary? It was a bad deal, there's no need to try to (wildly) exaggerate it's terribleness. If you honestly believe that then it's quite clear which of you actually has the agenda.

No agenda from me, mate. Just think it was fucking ridiculous that we paid him £155k p/w.

Look, the £145k p/w figure has come from some pretty reputable sources. You've quite clearly got your own little agenda if you choose not to believe it.

I don't think I've read any reputable source saying his wages were £135k per week. I've read a couple of newspaper articles which said that he was "costing the club" that much. I've also read other articles and lots of posts from people who have been misled by the misleading way the figure was originally put across.

Do you really believe he was paid almost twice as much as the likes of Torres and Gerrard were on at the time?

I don't think I've read any reputable source saying his wages were £135k per week. I've read a couple of newspaper articles which said that he was "costing the club" that much. I've also read other articles and lots of posts from people who have been misled by the misleading way the figure was originally put across.

Do you really believe he was paid almost twice as much as the likes of Torres and Gerrard were on at the time?

Chris Bascombe confirmed he was on £165k p/w. I've no reason to doubt him.

No chance he would have come here for £60K a week, so I suspect £100K+ is more in the right ballpark. Far too much anyway for what we got back.

No way was he on £100k+ with us. At the time Gerrard and Co weren't on much more than that. We're paying more of a percentage of his wages (€2.5m) at present than Fiorentina for the next 2 year. If you think Fiorentina could afford to make up the difference if you go by Bascombes figure you're mistaken.

The £22m we had to pay the boss eyed cunt to leave could have gone towards signing a top quality striker. Something to think about perhaps for those voting for Carroll.

And before some twat says, "yeah but at least he wasn't a lumbering shirehorse that looked like he'd been the benefactor of Make a Wish Foundation", remember that neither AC Milan or Juventus wanted to sign him permanently on our terms.

The £22m we had to pay the boss eyed cunt to leave could have gone towards signing a top quality striker. Something to think about perhaps for those voting for Carroll.

And before some twat says, "yeah but at least he wasn't a lumbering shirehorse that looked like he'd been the benefactor of Make a Wish Foundation", remember that neither AC Milan or Juventus wanted to sign him permanently on our terms.

or we could have saved £2million of that and bought a shithouse for £20million.

Though if I'm glad we're so generous as to pay him even more than his last 2 years of contract were worth. That's even taking into account the bullshit Bascombe figure.

How the fuck do you work that out when he was on £135k p/w, and we had to pay him £12m just to leave?

No agenda from me, mate. Just think it was fucking ridiculous that we paid him £155k p/w.

Chris Bascombe confirmed he was on £165k p/w. I've no reason to doubt him.

Can you explain what you've done here? I cannot work out how the numbers are creeping up as you post!

For what it's worth, Aquilani's basic salary was around £4m per year (approx £80k per week). He also had a signing-on fee which was to be paid over the duration of his contract, and this took his pay up to around £5m per year (approx £100k per week). Signing-on fees for all our players are paid in this manner, hence why Joe Cole is also getting over £100k per week.

While Aquilani was on loan to both Juventus and Milan, we were paying a portion of his salary, which from what I've read suggests approx 50%, meaning we paid around £5m in salary over the 2 years he was on loan in Italy. We sold him this August for £7m to Fiorentina, but will be paying around £2.5m a year for the next 2 years as a pay-off. This works out at around £50k per week and is less than he would have been paid if he were still under contract to us, but still includes the remainder of the signing-on fee agreed as per his contract signed back in 2009. Hence why it's a golden handshake.

You would be guessing wrong. Player power has massively increased wage bills in proportion to turnover since those days.

Fuck, not being able to word this properly in English... I meant what they earned percentage-wise from our total wages pool. Not compared to our turnover, I know that has changed.

Stewart Downing getting off remarkably easy here. Although he has played more than Aquilani already, hedid cost a few million more and can anybody really say hes contributed anything that Aqui didn't? i.e. fuck all? Infact i'd probably prefer downing to be constantly injured, out of sight out of mind sort of thing. The Shithouse.