You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gylfi Sigurdsson

marcus50bucks

Is this going to be Rodgers's line every time FSG dont cough up top wages.

So you'd rather we stick to our current policy then with paying over the odds for players i take it. They had agreed a deal and then he wanted more when spurs came in. B-rod didn't think he was worth more, its as simple as that. Why try to read more into it than it is?

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Rodgers cont: "I knew what the market was and I wasn't prepared to pay anything over what I agreed to pay before."

Sorry, but he's wrong. It's the cunt owners. I mean, what does he know anyway?

Fair enough, I agree that there is some cause for concern. However, I personally think the onset of depression may be a little premature and should be postponed until at least the start of the season. If we have not signed any promising players FSG will be facing a full scale revolt. I just don't think the first week in July is the right time to proclaim our demise.

My depression began the day Hicks, Gillett and Purslow decided to go to war with benitez. From there to now, it's hardly premature. Almost everything that's happened since has only served to confirm. There's only so much positive thinking can camouflage.

Guest davelfc

I'm giving Rodgers the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Guest davelfc

I read on here a lot that people are tired of us always been made mugs of in the transfer market, when a manager apparently stands firm on a valuation/wages he's suddenly making excuses because of poor owners.

Make up your minds please.

So you'd rather we stick to our current policy then with paying over the odds for players i take it. They had agreed a deal and then he wanted more when spurs came in. B-rod didn't think he was worth more, its as simple as that. Why try to read more into it than it is?

How do you know how much more money he got was you in on the deal,he may have went because he thought spurs where a better team than us.

If Rodgers is using the money excuse before he has signed his first player that speaks volumes as to what the owners have told him about whats in the kitty for signing on fees and wages.

To be honest not many managers come out with the money excuse unless the likes of City or other super wealthy clubs are invoved,this is spurs and it looks like we cant match them for cash.

Guest davelfc
How do you know how much more money he got was you in on the deal,he may have went because he thought spurs where a better team than us.

If Rodgers is using the money excuse before he has signed his first player that speaks volumes as to what the owners have told him about whats in the kitty for signing on fees and wages.

To be honest not many managers come out with the money excuse unless the likes of City or other super wealthy clubs are invoved,this is spurs and it looks like we cant match them for cash.

You're as clueless about the deal as anyone else. Why not accept what the manager says, for now.

Nothing to see here.

I read on here a lot that people are tired of us always been made mugs of in the transfer market, when a manager apparently stands firm on a valuation/wages he's suddenly making excuses because of poor owners.

Make up your minds please.

Shut up, you're not allowed that sensible talk in here.

That we ended up on level points with Swansea.

I think you will find that was a mistake!

But I shouldn't be surprised that a poster as brilliant and analytical as yourself picked me up on that.

Now that was a lie!

Is that Rogers, or Moyes saying that? An I hate sayin that.

I don't think you do!

Top wages should be reserved for top players, not 22 year old players how had a promising 6 months.

Excuse ?

Seem more like fact to me. The transfer saga has basically been an open book with people close to him from Iceland speaking out every other day. It was obvious Tottenham came in and offered more money. And regarding our finances, we obviously dont have a bottomless sack of gold. If we had matched Tottenhams offer it might have ruled out another target who Rodgers considers more important. Im quite certain the story would have been different had it been a player Rodgers consider crucial to his plans. It remains to be seen though. But i think you are drawing way to many conclusions from this.

Like many others I was disappointed that Sigurdsson chose to rebuff our offer in favour of Spurs – it is never pleasant when a promising player opts for one of our direct rivals. I think Sigurdsson is very much in the Frank Lampard mould; excellent goal scoring record, good set piece delivery, an eye for a pass but lacking any real burst of pace.

However, the air of despondency that has greeted his decision is unwarranted. He would almost certainly have been competing with Steven Gerrard for the attacking midfield role and there is only one winner there in my opinion. Admittedly Stevie’s fitness record hasn’t been great over the past few seasons but we also currently have Adam, Henderson, Shelvey, Aquilani and Cole who can deputise in that position. This begs the question ‘how much would Sigurdsson really have improved our first XI?’ and my view is that he is a worse option than Gerrard but possibly a better alternative than most of the others.

Now you have to weigh his potential contribution against the “opportunity cost” of acquiring him. Our team desperately needs a proper right winger, cover for Lucas, and another option up front in order to push on. I firmly believe that the introduction of a skilful right winger would improve our team far more than having another central midfield option. I would much prefer if we concentrated our funds on the areas where we are most deficient as this should see us make the greatest improvement in the shortest time possible. Sigurdsson would have cost us around £11.5m in his first year in transfer fees and wages (if reports are to be believed) and I’d be prepared to wager that is quite a chunk of this Summer’s budget.

Rodgers has shown that he has the ability to identify ‘budget’ players that fit in to his preferred tactics. He deserves a lot of credit for bringing the likes of Michel Vorm, Scott Sinclair, Neil Taylor, Gylfi Sigurdsson, Fabio Borini, Steven Caulker and Leon Britton to Swansea during his tenure as well as giving Joe Allen an opportunity. I have always suspected that this eye for a bargain was one of the principal factors that attracted FSG to Rodgers. While Sigurdsson has recently been much in demand where was everybody when he left Reading and Hoffenheim previously?

I have no doubt that Rodgers and his team are currently scouring Europe and beyond with a view to unearthing players that can make a significant contribution to LFC. If we can sort out a few key weaknesses this Summer I won’t be losing any kip about missing out on Sigurdsson as there are plenty of others that can step up to the plate. It is frustrating watching our rivals sign players when we haven't a clue what is going on but we have frequently called for a return to doing our business in private so it is a bit churlish to complain! It will take time for the new players and tactics to bed in but I am confident that we will perform much better than last season for a variety of reasons.

Common sense, excellent, I'll continue this trend I hope with the below post.

The key with Rodgers is that I'm not salivating over the possibility of signing players, to me, that wasnt the point in getting him over Martinez, or AvB, or anyone else. His 'skill' is his desire to get teams playing TT football. Not every manager wants to do that, not every manager CAN get a team to play that style of football, not every manager even understands it properly.

We very, very likely won't be seeing a top European player come to the club this Summer, not in the bracket that people would like one to be in. But that's not because of any other reason than they dont represent value for money in most cases and because Rodgers thinks that we don't NEED £20m players in every position to make a great team play great football and win games, and I agree with that.

Just look at the damage a player like Jodi Alba did for Spain, rewind 18 months and he's not worth a fraction of the amount that Barca just paid. For christs sake, Spain just won a major international tournament without a recognised striker on the field, whereas Italy had £25m Balotelli up front. It's been a long, long time since people have had to deal with this sort of revolution/evolution in the game, and Rodgers strikes me (and lots of other people) as being someone who fully embraces and understands this.

With success, with qualification for the CL, there will come a time when some top players and their agents will be chomping at the bit to get involved with the club once more, and it will be the integration of those 'elite' players into a proper TT system that will be the difference between 4th and 1st place in the league. But, in the meantime, we need to first get playing the right way and getting in 3 or 4 players capable of helping this team do that.

I find it sad, and a bit surprising, that many people do not share this excitement for the coming season. Why the dread, why the frustration? Have a bit of patience and enjoy what will be a very exciting time for this club.

Come on, first fixture on 21 July vs Toronto, just focus on that, 16 days to go, I'm sure we'll have 2 or 3 new faces in by then.

I don't think you do!

Top wages should be reserved for top players, not 22 year old players how had a promising 6 months.

A 22 year old who Rodges was pulling the head off it over him and stiil couldn't get him.

As for top players your are dreaming there mate unless you rate Kalou as one of them.

I hate the way lfc tv ask questions it's always tell us how great we are and what makes us special and why are we special and why are we so great and after that's done the next interview is about you have now had time to adjust how great are we and how special. I don't want to know I already do know, ask him about implementing his strategy or some shit Christ ask him his neck measurement, just stop being up our own arses.

I think I'm going to believe Rodgers about the Gylfi transfer he knew prevously what he wanted to pay and for it now to be extremely higher he must of thought money has taken a priority so sod you.

There seems to be a lot of doom and gloom and many conclusions that LFC is fucked; based upon rumour, fake twitter messages and speculative reporting by poor journalists and weak transfer rumour sites.

None of it is evidence of anything that's likely to happen or not, it's all conjecture at this point.

Whilst I agree that it's frustratng, in the absence of hard fact, we seem to be making up our own endings.

O I pledge to take refuge in Mark Twain's approach to life (before I too start grinding my teeth!)

"I've had a lot of worries in my life, most of which never happened"

A 22 year old who Rodges was pulling the head off it over him and stiil couldn't get him.

As for top players your are dreaming there mate unless you rate Kalou as one of them.

Rogers offered him a deal, he seemed to have agreed that deal. And yet Spurs offered him more, and you seem to think we should have capitulated and offered more than Spurs!

Would him doing that not give you an indication of his character?

And why have you focussed on Kalou? I don't see the relevance of him.

Like many others I was disappointed that Sigurdsson chose to rebuff our offer in favour of Spurs – it is never pleasant when a promising player opts for one of our direct rivals. I think Sigurdsson is very much in the Frank Lampard mould; excellent goal scoring record, good set piece delivery, an eye for a pass but lacking any real burst of pace.

However, the air of despondency that has greeted his decision is unwarranted. He would almost certainly have been competing with Steven Gerrard for the attacking midfield role and there is only one winner there in my opinion. Admittedly Stevie’s fitness record hasn’t been great over the past few seasons but we also currently have Adam, Henderson, Shelvey, Aquilani and Cole who can deputise in that position. This begs the question ‘how much would Sigurdsson really have improved our first XI?’ and my view is that he is a worse option than Gerrard but possibly a better alternative than most of the others.

Now you have to weigh his potential contribution against the “opportunity cost” of acquiring him. Our team desperately needs a proper right winger, cover for Lucas, and another option up front in order to push on. I firmly believe that the introduction of a skilful right winger would improve our team far more than having another central midfield option. I would much prefer if we concentrated our funds on the areas where we are most deficient as this should see us make the greatest improvement in the shortest time possible. Sigurdsson would have cost us around £11.5m in his first year in transfer fees and wages (if reports are to be believed) and I’d be prepared to wager that is quite a chunk of this Summer’s budget.

Rodgers has shown that he has the ability to identify ‘budget’ players that fit in to his preferred tactics. He deserves a lot of credit for bringing the likes of Michel Vorm, Scott Sinclair, Neil Taylor, Gylfi Sigurdsson, Fabio Borini, Steven Caulker and Leon Britton to Swansea during his tenure as well as giving Joe Allen an opportunity. I have always suspected that this eye for a bargain was one of the principal factors that attracted FSG to Rodgers. While Sigurdsson has recently been much in demand where was everybody when he left Reading and Hoffenheim previously?

I have no doubt that Rodgers and his team are currently scouring Europe and beyond with a view to unearthing players that can make a significant contribution to LFC. If we can sort out a few key weaknesses this Summer I won’t be losing any kip about missing out on Sigurdsson as there are plenty of others that can step up to the plate. It is frustrating watching our rivals sign players when we haven't a clue what is going on but we have frequently called for a return to doing our business in private so it is a bit churlish to complain! It will take time for the new players and tactics to bed in but I am confident that we will perform much better than last season for a variety of reasons.

I agree with much of this in terms of what our priorities are, although I am still disappointed because I think there is a good chance he will turn out to be top class and his price is pretty cheap.

And what I think would have happened if the transfer had gone though is that Gerrard would have moved back alongside Lucas, and we'd have played both of them, which I think is better than the Lucas alongside Henderson or Adam option we have at the mo. So I do think there would have been an improvement to the first XI.

But yes, that right forward/winger position is key for us this transfer window in my view.

I think the truth lies in your latter observation- wages. Estimated at £100k a week and £80k a week respectively.

The drag that, and similar deals, may cause in the future may be playing out in our inability to make a sufficiently attractive offer to Sigurdsson.

How much a week do you think Sigurdsson is worth?

Excuse ?

Seem more like fact to me. The transfer saga has basically been an open book with people close to him from Iceland speaking out every other day. It was obvious Tottenham came in and offered more money. And regarding our finances, we obviously dont have a bottomless sack of gold. If we had matched Tottenhams offer it might have ruled out another target who Rodgers considers more important. Im quite certain the story would have been different had it been a player Rodgers consider crucial to his plans. It remains to be seen though. But i think you are drawing way to many conclusions from this.

We had plenty of time to wrap the deal up before Spurs had a sniff.

Cij, Gerrard gave an interview when playing for England, and he said that he as he is getting older he hasn't got the legs to get around as much.

I would not be surprised if he plays deeper in a large chunk of games next season, rather than as an attacking midfielder. Also nearly any player coming into the squad being compared to Gerrard in say four different spots would more than likely be weaker.

I agree that we probably won't see the marauding Stevie G that was a feature of Rafa's team but, as I understand Rodgers' system, he would presumably be given one of the two central midfield berths in front of Lucas. Gerrard did a fine job for England at the Euros in a midfield two so I don't see any reason why he can't still offer a lot of quality in a midfield three playing quick one touch football. Drawing a comparison with Swansea, I can see a situation where Lucas takes the Britton role, Gerrard replaces Sigurdsson and Henderson (or somebody else) takes on the Joe Allen mantle. I think that could work quite well.

When I heard Rodgers press conference I thought here's a guy players would run through brick walls for but Gylfi has kind of put a dampener on that view. There's no positive vibes coming from the club or it's fans at the minute. We've been burnt by gillet and hicks at a time when absolute dogshit football clubs are winning the owners lottery. It's hard to look past the likes of city and Chelsea buying the worlds best players and we have a saga over some fucking douchbag Icelandic player who has everything to prove.

It would be really nice for the club to sign a top quality player no fuss, no weeks of the shit dragging on or it being a fee absurdly over the top. The last time it happened was probably Meireles deal.

To be fair, it's the fans that are having the "saga" - the club have said nothing about it other than Rodgers saying if he came available then of course he'd be happy to talk to him. We did talk to him, made him an offer based on how much we thought he was worth and someone else made a better offer resulting in him going to them.

It's not as if we've missed out on Messi.