You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is just getting beyond a joke now again hitting the woodwork players not putting chances away,what the hell are they doing up at Melwood?. If we keep going on like this we will end up not in the top 10.Fulham are only below us on goal diff WBA and Sunderland only 2-3 points behind. Sorry but if we some how win the FA cup and finish below Everton this is not moving forward!

All that article shows is that maddock has no clue what's going on behind closed doors. Just like it is supposed to be.

Yeah, maybe. I just stumbled across the article after discussing who was most responsible for our recent transfers so I thought it might be worth sharing.

Yeah, maybe. I just stumbled across the article after discussing who was most responsible for our recent transfers so I thought it might be worth sharing.

A maddock article is never worth sharing.

We don't know who is most responsible. We can each selectively interpret the information that's out their to suit our view, but that's all we're doing. It's irrelevant anyways. Accountability is more important than responsibility and comoli was held accountable. Now there is only KK.

Is Maddock anywhere near correct when he says we have a top four wage bill that's virtually the same as Man City. Withou doing any checking, that sounds like bollocks.

Yeah I thought that was wrong too, considering City are reported to pay ridiculous wages to a number of their players. Its far from a flawless article (aren't all articles in the tabloids?) but I thought the parts suggesting Comolli was most responsible for our transfer spending were interesting. I don't know how true it is but, as I have said earlier in the thread, I'm not sure any of us do.

I accept that what a manager says in a press conference may vary from what is said to the players.

In this instance, I don't think that this is the case. Kenny thinks the pattern of pay is fine and its about bad luck, as a result the pattern of play continues - with the same proportion of bad luck.

Fans who watch the games every/most weeks in the flesh, and the millions who follow them on TV are owed an honest appraisal of the game. If he is saying something different to the players than he says in the press it is having no affect on the players and making him look foolish, a bad combination.

We will have to agree to disagree in this instance then mate 'cause I don't believe for a second that he really believes our inability to score goals is down to bad luck. If he believes our pattern of play is good most of the time and all we are missing is one or two players, one of which being an out and out goalscorer, then I would agree with him. In this instance an honest appraisal wouldn't help us in any way. We have still got a massive game to come this season and undermining our current players by publicly slating their ability to score enough goals would be counterproductive. The current players are clearly giving their all, that's all we can ask of them. We just need better players than we have in a couple of positions.

A maddock article is never worth sharing.

We don't know who is most responsible. We can each selectively interpret the information that's out their to suit our view, but that's all we're doing. It's irrelevant anyways. Accountability is more important than responsibility and comoli was held accountable. Now there is only KK.

That would be fine except I didn't select that article in particular because I didn't go looking for it, I just found it, I haven't claimed what is in it is accurate and I have been saying all along we don't know who is most responsible. Accountability and responsibility are inextricably linked. If somebody is held accountable it tends to be because they are responsible. I don't know much about that Maddock fella. I rarely read tabloid articles.

Can't believe the hysteria I'm reading on here. We battered them and just couldn't score.

Again.

We played really really well - excellent performances from reds all over the pitch.

But we didn't score any goals and lost the match. Again.

Had we scored first I think we would have scored a few more.

If my auntie had bollocks she'd be my uncle.

I thought we were better than that.

Ironically, that's exactly what I thought as the final whistle blew yesterday. Again.

For what its worth, I don't have a vendetta against any of our players and I'm sure most of them would get a game for Accrington Stanley but you're talking as if we're five games into the season and throwing our toys out of the pram. We're four games away from the end of the season, haven't had the distraction of European football, yet we're eighth in the table, 16 points off the Champions League places. The table never lies.

I'm delighted that we won the League Cup and I hope we win the FA Cup as well but next season we re-enter the carnival of comedy that is the Europa League with Sunday matches, midweek trips to the arse end of Russia and all that good stuff. The squad will need to be strengthened and improved dramatically in my opinion just to cope with the extra matches, let alone trying to improve our league standing at the same time.

Assuming that CL qualification is what we're going to be targeting next season, that's a top four finish we're aiming for. Two of the top four will be the two manc sides, we all know this, which leaves two places up for grabs. Arsenal are always there or thereabouts despite having spells every season that make us think they're finished, Chelsea and Spurs will also be up there barring any spectacular disintegration of their squads and even if Newcastle lose Ba in the summer, they'll have money to replace him and I can't see a reason that they won't be buzzing around the European places again - they're up there on merit this season not by luck.

That's four sides that we're going to be competing with for those two places and right now, they're all between 16 and 19 points above us. Battering teams, not scoring and picking up either one or no points at home is not going to close that gap and I don't follow the logic that says the same group of players who haven't been able to deliver those wins for us this season in the league are suddenly going to start doing it next season. What's going to change?

As Director of Football Strategy (as he was then), he takes ultimate responsibility for the arrival of Dalglish, for the decision to sell Fernando Torres and sign Andy Carroll, and for the planning behind Liverpool’s current salary structure which sees them with a wage bill virtually the same as Manchester City.

Please, someone tell me this is a joke. I mean obviously it's a joke but I mean an actual joke, rather than being true and a joke. Someone? Please?

I read somewhere that city is paying more in wages then their whole club earns every year.

Football clubs today, are run like countries. Just as a Tax Take for a given economy is security against running up a large deficit, so too, attendances (gate receipts) provide the means to run a club on a large debt. A debt that is going to be bigger than the wage bill, because the wage bill is only part of the equation.

What's going to change?

It's the little things that change. The missed Suarez penalty against Sunderland, might be a goal next time; the shot that hit the underside of the bar will cross the line next time; the shot that hit the outside of the post will next time hit the inside and go in.

Everything changes. That's life.

For me, football is mostly a mental game - also, like life. We don't bounce off negatives like we bounce off positives. If we'd come out of that first game against Sunderland with a 2-1 win, our season would have not only been 2 points to the better, but the players mental attitude would have been re-prioritised.

That becomes on going throughout the whole season. One moment leads to another, and an attitude is carried with it.

I think, personally, that the most important attribute that our team can have collectively, is the will to start well in any given season, quickly followed by the will to collectively correct a poor start within a reasonable period of time.

It's the little things that change. The missed Suarez penalty against Sunderland, might be a goal next time; the shot that hit the underside of the bar will cross the line next time; the shot that hit the outside of the post will next time hit the inside and go in.

Everything changes. That's life.

For me, football is mostly a mental game - also, like life. We don't bounce off negatives like we bounce off positives. If we'd come out of that first game against Sunderland with a 2-1 win, our season would have not only been 2 points to the better, but the players mental attitude would have been re-prioritised.

That becomes on going throughout the whole season. One moment leads to another, and an attitude is carried with it.

I think, personally, that the most important attribute that our team can have collectively, is the will to start well in any given season, quickly followed by the will to collectively correct a poor start within a reasonable period of time.

So basically, we're good to go?

Again.

But we didn't score any goals and lost the match. Again.

If my auntie had bollocks she'd be my uncle.

Ironically, that's exactly what I thought as the final whistle blew yesterday. Again.

For what its worth, I don't have a vendetta against any of our players and I'm sure most of them would get a game for Accrington Stanley but you're talking as if we're five games into the season and throwing our toys out of the pram. We're four games away from the end of the season, haven't had the distraction of European football, yet we're eighth in the table, 16 points off the Champions League places. The table never lies.

I'm delighted that we won the League Cup and I hope we win the FA Cup as well but next season we re-enter the carnival of comedy that is the Europa League with Sunday matches, midweek trips to the arse end of Russia and all that good stuff. The squad will need to be strengthened and improved dramatically in my opinion just to cope with the extra matches, let alone trying to improve our league standing at the same time.

Assuming that CL qualification is what we're going to be targeting next season, that's a top four finish we're aiming for. Two of the top four will be the two manc sides, we all know this, which leaves two places up for grabs. Arsenal are always there or thereabouts despite having spells every season that make us think they're finished, Chelsea and Spurs will also be up there barring any spectacular disintegration of their squads and even if Newcastle lose Ba in the summer, they'll have money to replace him and I can't see a reason that they won't be buzzing around the European places again - they're up there on merit this season not by luck.

That's four sides that we're going to be competing with for those two places and right now, they're all between 16 and 19 points above us. Battering teams, not scoring and picking up either one or no points at home is not going to close that gap and I don't follow the logic that says the same group of players who haven't been able to deliver those wins for us this season in the league are suddenly going to start doing it next season. What's going to change?

Please, someone tell me this is a joke. I mean obviously it's a joke but I mean an actual joke, rather than being true and a joke. Someone? Please?

My point is that we are not playing that badly and we are not a bad team. We are just not converting anything like the number of chances that we should. The fact that we create as many as we do is a big positive, we are also pretty solid at the back whoever we have in there - so not too much wrong there either. It is purely down to finishing and I believe that it has become a confidence thing as much as a quality issue.

This does not suggest that we cannot improve on what we currently have at the club, far from it, but while they are the men wearing the shirts, I will give them my support (most of the time - I will admit to using the phrase 'long haired bag of Geordie shite' on more than one occasion this season).

IMO we need a really creative midfield player as much as a forward, someone who will find the passes that create the openings for the forwards to play onto rather than just getting it to the forwards in an advanced psotion but leaving them too much to do which is where I think we are getting wrong at the moment.

So basically, we're good to go?

Almost. There's just a little question of having a capable goal scorer to convert all those chances. I'd like news of how Lucas is improving and whether we can expect him back any time soon. Replacements for the ageing warhorses perhaps.

My point is that we are not playing that badly and we are not a bad team. We are just not converting anything like the number of chances that we should. The fact that we create as many as we do is a big positive, we are also pretty solid at the back whoever we have in there - so not too much wrong there either.

If this were September I'd agree with you, but it's nearly May.

Perhaps it's a freak season but if it's not, it's not going to matter how many chances we create is it.

We are solid at the back if Skrtel & Agger play, less so if anyone else splits them up.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Almost. There's just a little question of having a capable goal scorer to convert all those chances. I'd like news of how Lucas is improving and whether we can expect him back any time soon. Replacements for the ageing warhorses perhaps.

You're living in a fantasy world, mate.

Anyone fancy starting a Norwich (a) match thread, or are we done with these for the rest of the season? I need an appropriate place to show my discontent/joy after tomorrow.

I could just bump the Henderson, Carroll and Downing slag off threads and now and everyone can get off to an early start?

Randy Marsh didn't start this thread.

We are doomed.

Is it too late for Randy to start an "official" thread seeing that this one doesn't have formations and line-ups? This one is more a piss take on the Owl.

This.

And if anyone other than Randy DARE start a FA Cup Final thread then they should be banned for life.