You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Favourite and least favourite cities?

LFC 6 Times

for what it is worth....

Vancouver loses top spot on most liveable city list

Vancouver loses top spot on most liveable city list - The Globe and Mail

Vancouver has been edged out as the world's most liveable city for the first time in almost a decade, according to The Economist Intelligence Unit’s liveability survey.

The Australian city of Melbourne now takes the top spot, the survey found.

In the latest report, “a small adjustment in Vancouver’s score for transport infrastructure, reflecting recent intermittent closures of the key Malahat highway, resulted in a 0.7 percentage point decline in the Canadian city’s overall liveability rating,” the Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) explained.

“The adjustment is miniscule, and should not be considered significant in the context of the overall score, but it was sufficient to drop Vancouver to third position behind Melbourne and Vienna.”

Noting that the June riots in Vancouver came too late in the year to lower its score on the current survey, the EIU cautioned that the city’s overall score could see further downward revisions as a result, and “further unrest may affect scores for the city in the future.”

As the EIU further explained, “The concept of liveability is simple: it assesses which locations around the world provide the best or the worst living conditions.”

In total, 140 cities were surveyed. The cities were evaluated across five broad categories: stability, healthcare, culture and environment, education and infrastructure.

The top ten cities were:

Melbourne

Vienna

Vancouver

Toronto

Calgary

Sydney

Helsinki

Perth

Adelaide

Auckland

The bottom ten cities were:

131: Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire

132: Tehran, Iran

133. Douala, Cameroon

134. Karachi, Pakistan

135. Tripoli, Libya

136. Algiers, Algeria

137. Lagos, Nigeria

138. Port Moresby, PNG

139. Dhaka, Bangladesh

140. Harare, Zimbabwe

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Canada and Australia are consistently in the top places to live. I think I qualify for a Canadian passport/citizenship, too.

Phuket is the gateway to the islands on the west coast mate.

I urge you to stop by Phuket on route to these immense places of paradise.

As Tom correctly points out - it is dirty and shite, but take it in and appreciate what you are about to encounter. The islands south of Phuket are complete bliss, the best on earth imo.

To fully appreciate the sweet, you sometimes have to taste the sour.

I was in Phuket but all I saw was the airport, they do little bus journeys straight to the port for Phi Phi, failing that can you not just get tot he islands via Krabi?

Yeah it's en route to the places I'm hitting, maybe won't spend as long there as had intended.

yeah, we stopped off in Phuket en route to Phi Phi, and stupidly we'd booked for 3 days.

It was fucking horrible.

You can't walk past any shop - and i mean ANY shop, even a fucking offy or a newsagent - without some twat literally trying to drag you in. I very nearly came to blows with one particular Tailor!

Phi Phi, however... we were due to stay there for 4 nights and we ended up taking our shoes off and staying for 2 weeks!

I wholeheartedly recommend that.

And Chiang Mai. Chiang mai is up there with Rome, only it's way cheaper, friendlier and more laid back.

In fact, fuck Rome, I hereby declare Chiang Mai THE best city on earth.

You can close the thread now.

Echoing Phi Phi and Chiang Mai love in, make sure you don't leave Phi Phi until last because the 4 days I had intended for it turned into one afternoon/night out as I overstayed at other places I loved.

Chiang Mai is boss and you have to do one of the trekking excursions in the stunning jungle areas that surround it, I did a day trip one including Elephants and white water rafting which was pretty awesome. I also recommend heading to Pai which is about 2 hours away from Chiang Mai, awesome chilled out place with loads of live music and dirt cheap bamboo huts for digs. Brilliant night out there. In fact, Bitch, make sure you message me just before you head there, there are some places you realy gotta go.

Back to the matter in hand, for UK: Edinburgh best as York doesn't count as a city. Outside: Very difficult but will go for Florence, makes Barcelona look ugly.

For worst look no further than Bolton. Outside UK I didn't have a great time in Rome though I put that down to circumstances and not the city so much.

Favourites: Istanbul, Belgrade, Tirana, Split, Sarajevo (also honourable mentions to Sofia, Budapest, Gdansk, Zagreb and Zadar).

Least favourite experiences: Las Vegas, Bucharest, London. It's a little unbalanced to name cities in your home country but London truly depresses me. (I would also say that Nottingham, Stoke, Wolverhampton, Leicester, Coventry are dreadful).