You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what a Director of Strategy's role is - if it is scouting why not just a 'Chief Scout' title

I would guess that a Chief Scout looks for players with characteristics requested by the manager/coach, to fit into that coach's philosophy. The "Director of Strategy" will do the same to an extent, but probably factors in other things such as resale value and whether a player can fit into a team regardless of whatever coaching philosophy is in place. It minimises the need for an overhaul when/if the manager leaves or is replaced.

Think thats just wishful thinking from roy. As I understand it they have to implement the football philosophy at the club at every level, from the youth team up. This usually means that the director of football will be appointed first and a manager that shares a similar philosphy will be brought in. At clubs like real madrid they actively recruit players whether the manager asks for them or not. However, as they are players like zidane, ronaldo and figo not many managers object. I personally think roys days are numbered.

I would guess that a Chief Scout looks for players with characteristics requested by the manager/coach, to fit into that coach's philosophy. The "Director of Strategy" will do the same to an extent, but probably factors in other things such as resale value and whether a player can fit into a team regardless of whatever coaching philosophy is in place. It minimises the need for an overhaul when/if the manager leaves or is replaced.

I think the idea is that the philosphy is largely the same regardless of the manager.

Truth. I think that we'll have a lot more success in the transfer market than with the last three managers. Granted all of them had roaring successes paired with unmitigated disasters.

Isn't that the case with most Managers?

Personally i think what seperates the good form the bad is how sucessful your good buys are in terms of impact.

Arsene has bought poorly previously but no one gives a shit because his good buys have been great. Its the same with Mourinho when he was here with Chelsea and the same with that cunt over the east lancs road.

If you buy a Vidic, Evra, Ronaldo, Rooney.. you'll be cut some slack for buying Anderson, Tosic, Hargreaves, Carrick, Owen or even Berbatov.

If your club can carry that margin of error and still achieve or get close to achieving it's objectives than no one will ever point the finger.

Wenger bought Franny Jeffers; but it didn't matter because Henry was so fucking amazing.

I guess you've got to build up some credit to get that slack when transfers go wrong, and they will do.

This can only be a good thing considering our horrendous transfers over the past few years.

I'm in if it means we start signing players who can control and pass a fucking football.

Glory hallelujah - I thought it was just me! Every time I see Liverpool I am always ranting about the number of players whose first touch is absolutely appalling and it drives me fucking bobkers!

This is an an obvious and critical difference between us, Arsenal, Chelsea and Man U. About time it was rectified.

Exactly. They're just smoothing the road, so that we can continue the outstanding legacy and footballing philosophy and don't go into shock when Hodgson is headhunted and leaves to replace the usurped Pep Guardiola. Imagine the carnage otherwise. Dear, dear.

BBC Sport - Football - Damned lies, statistics and sabermetrics

Answers a lot of questions this one and especially why Kenny was probably overlooked for the role.

"

Structurally, it always makes sense that the director of football arrives before the head coach or manager, so he can have a hand in appointing a person who shares his vision.

"It's key that the director of football has no coaching ambitions and that the training ground is the manager's domain - the areas of responsibility must be clearly defined as grey areas just create conflicts.

Commolli ready to usurp Bayern in "New Adebayor" chase

New Liverpool Director of football strategy Damien Comolli has set his sights on FC Cluj striker Lacina Traore, however the former Tottenham Hotspur Director of football will face a battle with Bayern Munich for the giant forward’s signature.

The 20-year-old 6ft 8 in striker was linked with a move to Arsenal in the January transfer window, however Gunner’s boss Arsene Wenger is not in the market for a striker having purchased Moroccan hit-man Marouane Chamakh on a free transfer.

Commolli ready to usurp Bayern in "New Adebayor" chase 04 November 2010 - 14:50 | Sport.co.uk

Commolli ready to usurp Bayern in "New Adebayor" chase

New Liverpool Director of football strategy Damien Comolli has set his sights on FC Cluj striker Lacina Traore, however the former Tottenham Hotspur Director of football will face a battle with Bayern Munich for the giant forward’s signature.

The 20-year-old 6ft 8 in striker was linked with a move to Arsenal in the January transfer window, however Gunner’s boss Arsene Wenger is not in the market for a striker having purchased Moroccan hit-man Marouane Chamakh on a free transfer.

Commolli ready to usurp Bayern in "New Adebayor" chase 04 November 2010 - 14:50 | Sport.co.uk

Well... that height would definitely make some defenders antsy.

They have some talented youngsters but because we don't follow Chelsea we do not know much about them.

Im sure if you asked a non Liverpool fan about Suso, Sterling or Silva they probably will not have heard of them either.

Kakuta (sp) is an exciting youngster who i can remember from the tournament over the summer and im sure if you really wanted to you could saerch on the Chelsea forums and find many more.

I'm not sure how far back Arnesen's influence extends, but some of their more recent, relatively (compared with the largesse of the early Abramovic era) inexpensive players are looking very impressive - the likes of Ivanovic, Alex, Ramires, Malouda etc are all looking good under Ancelotti. Just shows that under the right coaching and direction the system can work.

Tom Huddlestone

Aaron Lennon

Jermaine Jenas

Benoit Assou-Ekotto

Dimitar Berbatov

Didier Zakora

Gareth Bale

Jonathan Woodgate

Luka Modric

Heurelho Gomes

Grzegorz Rasiak

Mido

Ricardo Rocha

Darren Bent

Giovani dos Santos

Roman Pavlyuchenko

Vedran Corluka

Hit and miss if you ask me.

Have to agree. If some of those players were at liverpool they would be torn to shreds.

Comolli at arsenal - success

Comolli at spurs - failure

Arsenen at chelsea - success

Arnesen at spurs - failure

Bit of a pattern there.

I do think you're right about the exposure they get though. Its typical of the xenophobic nonsense spouted by the english press that we only hear about the failures. If the english press are to be believed, hodgson is a better manager than benitez.

Err Commoli was a scout at Arsenal.