You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Anyone know much about this lad?

Damien Comolli set to reignite Liverpool interest in Blaise Matuidi | Mail Online

Damien Comolli mulls £7m Liverpool move for Saint-Etienne skipper Blaise Matuidi

By SPORTSMAIL REPORTER

Saint-Etienne are braced for bid from Liverpool for their captain Blaise Matuidi following Damien Comolli's appointment at Anfield.

Comolli, who will shape the Reds' transfer policy after being appointed as director of football strategy, rates the tough-tackling France midfielder very highly.

Along with Arsenal, Liverpool were already tracking the £7million-rated 23-year-old, but Comolli's arrival from Saint-Etienne gives them the upper hand in prising one of France's most promising prospects from Ligue 1.

Underperforming Italian giants Juventus have also been linked with Matuidi as they look to bolster their midfield, but the player admitted recently that a move to England would suit him best.

Comolli, who quit Saint-Etienne on Tuesday before his move to Liverpool was revealed, fought hard to keep Matuidi at the French club but admitted that the lure of huge club would be hard to resist.

'He is our captain and a major player for us,' he said only last month. 'He's done well for us last season but we convinced him to stay.

'But I'm not being naive, I know it will be difficult to keep him and know he will end up in England or one of the top clubs in Europe. Whoever comes for him, it will cost them a lot of money.'

Former Arsenal midfielder Gilles Grimandi has scouted Matuidi for Arsene Wenger, but the Gunners were previously put off by Saint-Etienne's high price tag.

Liverpool are ready to spend in January and Matuidi fits the profile of being a young, emerging talent.

New owner John W Henry has demanded the club be smarter in the transfer market and improve the stock of young players coming through in the way that Arsenal and Manchester United have.

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure how far back Arnesen's influence extends, but some of their more recent, relatively (compared with the largesse of the early Abramovic era) inexpensive players are looking very impressive - the likes of Ivanovic, Alex, Ramires, Malouda etc are all looking good under Ancelotti. Just shows that under the right coaching and direction the system can work.

yeah but the likes of Ramires (20million), Malouda (£13.5 million) and Ivanovic (£9 million) still cost a lot of money. Two of those we wanted to buy and through player choice/lack of funds ended up at chelsea.

Unsure how the Alex dela worked as i thought Chelsea had bought him for PSV before they gpt a work permit

yeah but the likes of Ramires (20million), Malouda (£13.5 million) and Ivanovic (£9 million) still cost a lot of money. Two of those we wanted to buy and through player choice/lack of funds ended up at chelsea.

Unsure how the Alex dela worked as i thought Chelsea had bought him for PSV before they gpt a work permit

Fair enough, as I say I'm not familiar with the intracacies of the deals/prices involved, or how they relate to Arnesen. I can't remember when he joined, just that there was hush money paid. But the players mentioned, despite their prices, weren't exactly established European superstars. They've bought them youngish and there seems to be a policy in place. Just noting that the system can work. We'll obviously have to tailor it to suit our requirements and means.

Exactly. They're just smoothing the road' date=' so that we can continue the outstanding legacy and footballing philosophy and don't go into shock when Hodgson is headhunted and leaves to replace the usurped Pep Guardiola. Imagine the carnage otherwise. Dear, dear.[/quote']

Nonsense. We all know that Big Sam is a shoe-in for the next Barca or Madrid managerial vacancy.

I can see you get few old arsenal targets like Traore(who the club backed off due to questionable character) Matuidi who's been linked with Arsenal for the last 3 years(Wenger prefered Song & Diaby) I do wonder how successful french players would be under Roy and his style.

The Liverpool owner, John W Henry, has revealed Roy Hodgson was surprised to learn of Damien Comolli's appointment as director of football strategy.

Comolli, who held a similar role at Tottenham from 2005 to 2008, is set to work closely with Hodgson as part of a management team.

Henry today explained the Liverpool manager will need to have his targets approved before moving in the transfer market, but he is convinced Hodgson and Comolli can work well as a team.

"I really didn't talk that much with Roy over the week or so before we made the decision to bring Damien in," Henry told Sky Sports News. "I think he may have been surprised when I brought it up a couple of days before we brought in Damien. But he was fully supportive. He knows Damien.

"The model really requires people of certain personalities for it to work and Roy and Damien are two personalities who will mesh well together."

Following the takeover by New England Sports Ventures, headed up by Henry, Liverpool are expected to bolster their squad during the January transfer window.

The arrival of Comolli raised questions over what influence he will have on signings. Hodgson has said he expects to be given the final say, although Henry's strategy will allow significant input into deals from the likes of Comolli.

"It'll be a group decision," Henry added. "You build consensus. I think that's a very good model. But they'll each be in charge of their own areas."

I hope he showed some national pride and watched the Lyon Benfica game last night to watch a certain left back on show.

Go on Damien, Fabio Coentrao wouldn't be a bad start.

I can only dream!

Given the stick Johnson gets for his defending why would we look to sign another fullback who's better going forward than they are defending?