You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Best footballer since Maradona?

Red Mist

Best footballer since Maradona?  

119 members have voted

1. 1. Best footballer since Maradona?

• Van Basten
    • Romario
    • Ronaldo (fat)
    • Zidane
    • Ronaldinho
    • Ronaldo (gay)
    • Messi
    • Other (name him)

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zidane was immense, and Messi has a lot to do before he reaches Zidane's status.

For me, based on the little time he had van Basten was awesome. THAT goal at the euros for me is most definately the greatest goal I've ever seen. Obviously his accolades dont match that of Zidane, but if he couldve lasted longer, he'd definately be mentioned in the same breaths as Pele and Maradonna and Zidane.

In terms of being a match winner, as Maradona was I'd say Fat Ronaldo or Zidane. However Messi can easily get in that catagory soon.

But in terms of best all round player - Gerrard.

Now I am not for one minute saying Gerrard is shite, because he plainly isn't it. I just think he is very good at what he does, and definitely not the best.

All the above players were/are artists of the game, bar maybe Ronaldo (gay).

My mouth use to water watching the likes of Van Basten, Zidane, Ronaldo (fat) and now Messi is here I am of the opinion that Gerrard is light years away from being at the table for dinner with these guys.

Lothar Matthaus was a better all round player than Gerrard is, Platini was a level above Gerrard, then you can throw in the likes of Michael Laudrup and Johan Cruyff.

Steven Gerrard is a very, very, very good footballer, but in the same categories as the world greats, not for me I am afraid.

I suppose people, especially Liverpool fans, look to Gerrard as a hero, a saviour, and rightly so as no player has carried a club of our stature like he has over the years, but that alone is not enough to put him up there with the likes of Zidane and Ronaldo (fat). The great players are all about finesse, craft and a different level of footballing intelligence, cultured if you like. Gerrard for me is more about power and drive, which are still two excellent qualities to have and have bode him more than very well in his career.

For Gerrard to get up there, he should have left years ago to achieve what the greats achieved, play in Spain, which I think is by far the better and more technical league, then I believe he could have lived up to the billing as one of the greats.

He has achieved a lot in the game, but he could and maybe should have achieved a lot more on a personal level.

Gerrard is a big fish in a small pond while watching the bigger fish become prize Koi instead of staying as a Golden Orf.

It's still Zidane, for me. Easily the best player I've ever seen. Gutted I've never seen him in the flesh though. That volley against Leverkusen seems to get better every time I see it.

Give Messi five years though and my vote will more than likely be different.

I voted Messi, but it's close to 50/50 for me at the moment between the two. I have watched most of Barca's games this season, and I haven't seen a player dominate games that consistantly ever. Zidane for the achievements in his career and his two-footedness (is that a word?), Messi for goals, pace and pure dribbling skills. Would have thought real Ronaldo would have got more votes being WC top scorer and awesome in his younger years. Perhaps not the artist that ZZ and Messi are though.

Now I am not for one minute saying Gerrard is shite, because he plainly isn't it. I just think he is very good at what he does, and definitely not the best.

All the above players were/are artists of the game, bar maybe Ronaldo (gay).

My mouth use to water watching the likes of Van Basten, Zidane, Ronaldo (fat) and now Messi is here I am of the opinion that Gerrard is light years away from being at the table for dinner with these guys.

Lothar Matthaus was a better all round player than Gerrard is, Platini was a level above Gerrard, then you can throw in the likes of Michael Laudrup and Johan Cruyff.

Steven Gerrard is a very, very, very good footballer, but in the same categories as the world greats, not for me I am afraid.

I suppose people, especially Liverpool fans, look to Gerrard as a hero, a saviour, and rightly so as no player has carried a club of our stature like he has over the years, but that alone is not enough to put him up there with the likes of Zidane and Ronaldo (fat). The great players are all about finesse, craft and a different level of footballing intelligence, cultured if you like. Gerrard for me is more about power and drive, which are still two excellent qualities to have and have bode him more than very well in his career.

For Gerrard to get up there, he should have left years ago to achieve what the greats achieved, play in Spain, which I think is by far the better and more technical league, then I believe he could have lived up to the billing as one of the greats.

He has achieved a lot in the game, but he could and maybe should have achieved a lot more on a personal level.

Gerrard is a big fish in a small pond while watching the bigger fish become prize Koi instead of staying as a Golden Orf.

Good post, we'll have to agree to disagree though.

I don't think I have seen a player who has all the attributes Gerrard has and his versitility, just my opinion.

Zidane hands down. You get these players who pop up from time to time, they hit the heights for a couple of seasons and then their heads go or their knees explode and they end up at Fulham, but Zidane did it for his entire career, he was more than just a flair player, he was a driving force of whatever team he played in, tough, unassuming, professional, and in an age of prima donnas and billy big bollocks, he seemed genuinely a private man and down to earth.

He also united France after 98 due to his Algerian ancestry, a true sporting icon in every single sense of the word. There's more to this shit here than step overs.

186661955_0b69a3f8a3.jpg

Messi at the age of ten playing for Newells in Peru. At the end of the video he notices an opponent crying and goes to console him.

[YOUTUBE]SNGKkRmWQxI[/YOUTUBE]

Cool video that. The take down and finish at 1:35 is incredible.

Zidane by a distance at the moment.

Messi is unbelievable and I have no reason to think he has peaked now but I want to see him do it until he's in to his 30's to be remembered as the best since Sir Diego. A true legend has to be spoken of as highly when he's in his 30's. Much in the way Ryan Giggs is by the British media but with the ridiculous talent to back it up.

Good post, we'll have to agree to disagree though.

I don't think I have seen a player who has all the attributes Gerrard has and his versitility, just my opinion.

When Gerrard is on song (which he usually is) he can slow the game down and inject pace in to it like all the greats such as Zidane. He has the touch, technique and vision in my opinion. There are times though when he appears burdened and you can see it in his play, with either a rushed pass or a shot he shouldnt have taken.

Had he left for Spain he would have been remembered as a far greater player as he would fit in to a Barcelona or Real Madrid side easily but thank fuck he hasnt! I just feel playing for another side where emotion is removed to a certain degree, allows a player to produce to their absolute potential and play with new freedom. Much like Torres.

The other thing I really like about Messi is his attitude. He never, ever moans even though he gets kicked everywhere, he's a proper team man who is just as likely to set someone else up as take it on himself, he works his arse off, regularly tracks back and puts his foot in, and finally he just fucking loves playing. After his demolition of Arsenal in the week he went and got the match ball off the ref and then was just walking round the pitch bouncing it and chatting to everyone with a massive grin on his face. The lad is living the dream, but he's humble enough to realise it.

Messi at the age of ten playing for Newells in Peru. At the end of the video he notices an opponent crying and goes to console him.

I loved that video.

For me it is Messi, though I know it's a tough one to argue as hyperbole is so rife in this day of blanket football, and his career has been relatively short. But he is simply incredible. His attitude is fantastic too.

Can't believe how underrated Ronaldo is here. In his prime he was a freak of nature, and even after his injuries he has just kept on scoring. The final proof that you don't have to be built like an athlete to succeed. Being explosive is enough.

Ronaldo, and Romario, are the best examples of that.

Scoring goals is by far the most difficult thing in football. Noone has done that better than Ronaldo.

And by the way, he still does it.

Years Team Apps† (Gls)†

1993–1994 Cruzeiro 14 (12)

1994–1996 PSV 46 (42)

1996–1997 Barcelona 37 (34)

1997–2002 Internazionale 68 (49)

2002–2007 Real Madrid 127 (83)

2007–2008 Milan 20 (9)

2009– Corinthians 39 (23)

National team‡

1994–2006 Brazil 97 (62 [1])

Zidane was a great player but was also fortunate to play in great teams. Never had to carry a team like Maradona carried Argentina. Don't think he could have either.

This summer we'll find out if Messi can. I doubt it.

It's a shame Maradona never got to play for a really great team. I don't think anyone would ever question if a player was as good as Maradona if he'd have had team mates as good as ZZ had.