You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Unirea Away

rubble-rouser

Can't see a match thread yet, so ...

The team I think he'll put out -

Reina

Aurelio

Agger

Skrtel

Carra

Benny

Masch

Lucas

Kuyt

Gerrard

Ngog

I'd like to see

Reina

Insua

Agger

Skrtel

Carra

Aurelio

Masch

Gerrard

Benny

Aquilani

Kuyt

I think this will be a marginally better game than last week, that tehy'll score but that we'll go through with a 1-1 draw or 2-1 win.

I'd like to see Pacheco get half an hour too.

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

---------------------------------Reina--------------------------------

Carra---------------Skrtel----------------Agger---------------Insua

-------------------------------Mascherano---------------------------

Kuyt--------------Gerrard-------------------Aquilani----------Riera

---------------------------------Ngog---------------------------------

Can't see a match thread yet, so ...

The team I think he'll put out -

Reina

Aurelio

Agger

Skrtel

Carra

Benny

Masch

Lucas

Kuyt

Gerrard

Ngog

I'd like to see

Reina

Insua

Agger

Skrtel

Carra

Aurelio

Masch

Gerrard

Benny

Aquilani

Kuyt

I think this will be a marginally better game than last week, that tehy'll score but that we'll go through with a 1-1 draw or 2-1 win.

I'd like to see Pacheco get half an hour too.

I'll agree with you there.

He'll probably play two defensive midfielders and 8 defenders like he did against Stoke and hope we hold on for dear life.

You actually want to see Kuyt start as a lone striker. Beyond belief.

I'd like to see Paches start but it won't happen, hopefully get longer than last week though. Babel should start on the left as he seemed to actually play well (for the first time ever in life) when he came on last week. Benayoun on the right or behind the striker ideally.

BIZARRE BUCHAREST WELCOME FOR RAFA

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez fielded questions about his match preparation, his future and - bizarrely - his weight on his arrival in Bucharest but will hope his team provide the most important answer against Unirea Urziceni.

Although a 1-0 lead from the first leg of the Europa League last-32 tie by no means guarantees the Reds' progress the Romanian media have been quick to assume Unirea are considered something of an irritation by the five-time European champions.

The decision by Benitez to stay at Melwood on Wednesday morning rather than travel early to train in the Steaua Stadium - as Unirea's ground does not meet UEFA standards - was received badly in Bucharest.

As a result, when Benitez arrived for his pre-match press conference at the rather late hour of 9.15pm local time he faced an odd line of questioning.

It began with an enquiry as to why Liverpool were spending so little time in Romania and got more odd.

"Sometimes it is easier for us to train at home because you can practice without problems and you have more time," said the Liverpool boss.

"After the time of the flight it was better to train normally in the morning and then fly here.

"If we had to fly and then come here to train you have to come early and may not train properly.

"As for after the game, if it goes to extra-time, the plane will wait, because it is a charter. Don't make the mistake of thinking we are taking anything for granted."

Having diplomatically fielded questions about how he felt about taunts from rival fans about getting sacked, which Romanian players he may have had on his transfer shortlist at any one time and also what his fee would be to manage in the country should he leave Liverpool the most bizarre question was left until last.

"Mr Benitez, the last time I saw you was in Istanbul in 2005 and you had a different silhouette - what has happened to your silhouette?" said the inquisitor, in reference to the Liverpool manager's weight.

Benitez, with good humour, responded: "It is the stress of answering questions from the press."

The Liverpool manager would like to get this match out of the way so he can begin preparing for the Premier League visit of Blackburn on Sunday.

However, he knows he cannot afford to under-estimate the Romanians, who exited the Champions League early like his own side.

"We have the belief and the confidence we will progress in the competition and although Urziceni are a good team we are a good team so we don't think about defeat," he added.

"We have to be confident we can score and that we can win the game.

"A one-goal lead is important always. A clean sheet is crucial as you know that one goal is not too much but if you score then one goal is not enough for them."

Striker Fernando Torres and midfielder Yossi Benayoun are both in the squad having made their comebacks from five weeks out with knee and rib injuries in Sunday's 0-0 draw at Manchester City.

Im guessing rafa will pick:

--------------reina-----------------

carra----skrtel-----agger------insua

---------masch-----lucas------------

kuyt------------gerrard--------babel

--------------------ngog------------

I really do think rafa will start like that as he won't think benny or torres are ready to start a game yet. Plus they couldnt handle babel when he came on so he may start him.

Im guessing rafa will pick:

--------------reina-----------------

carra----skrtel-----agger------insua

---------masch-----lucas------------

kuyt------------gerrard--------babel

--------------------ngog------------

I really do think rafa will start like that as he won't think benny or torres are ready to start a game yet. Plus they couldnt handle babel when he came on so he may start him.

I think he'll pick that side too. He'll be hoping for an away goal so he can take Gerrard off and give Aqualani a run out.

from el guardiola

Yossi Benayoun back to give Liverpool impetus and fresh memories

This is what comes of a backward step. One year ago today Liverpool supporters danced around the Bernabéu after Yossi Benayoun's late header added Real Madrid to their litany of conquests among the European elite. Tonight it is Bucharest, Unirea Urziceni and the Europa League: the signposts of a miserable 12-month journey.

The assignment would not reflect so badly on Rafael Benítez's team but for the anniversary that illustrates the tortuous road travelled since, although they require no reminder themselves. Liverpool's approach in the first meeting with the Romanian champions provided little immediate evidence of complacency towards the competition, only a shortage of answers to an obstinate defence, but the timing of the return provides a test of their focus.

"There is obviously a contrast between the Real Madrid game and the game in Bucharest now, but that is football and you cannot be too disappointed," admitted Benayoun, whose return from rib and back problems against Manchester City on Sunday brings hope of greater invention tonight. "We have been an important team, a big team in the Champions League in recent seasons. Hopefully, we will finish in the top four in the Premier League and be back in it next season.

"For us it is still a very important game. Of course we wanted to be in the Champions League group stages but now we have to concentrate on the league and the Europa League. We won 1-0 last week and we have the advantage and have to finish things off. We are playing for a title which would be important. It gives us a chance to do something positive this season."

The Liverpool manager mentioned Benayoun and Fernando Torres in the same breath yesterday as he responded to criticism over his caution at City but conceded that, with the Israel captain and the Spanish striker available again, they should be more expansive in coming games. It was a mark of how deeply Benítez has missed Benayoun since January and also the midfielder's rise since that personal landmark in Madrid.

"For me it was a special moment," he recalls. "Firstly to score a goal with my head in the Bernabéu was special because it is not the strongest part of my game. Personally, I think that game changed my Liverpool career. The goal gave me a lot of confidence and I think since then I have played a lot better for Liverpool. It was definitely the defining moment of my career. I had played good games and bad games before this, but really after this goal I started playing better and better."

Torres is expected to be among the substitutes at the Steaua Stadium which hosts Unirea's home games in Europe as their 7000-capacity Tineretului Stadium does not meet Uefa standards. The relocation did not hinder the Romanians in the Champions League group stage – when they drew at home with Stuttgart and Rangers before beating Sevilla – but Liverpool's recent record of just two goals in their last seven away games suggests the Spaniard may not remain on the bench all evening.

"One-nil is not the best result but it is a good result if we can score here," said Benítez, whose side required an 81st-minute goal from David Ngog for their first-leg advantage. "At home we created three or four clear chances but their keeper played well. The Romanian press were critical of them for being too defensive and positive about us. In England it was the other way around! But we know we can score against them and we know they have to attack if they want to change things which will give us more space to exploit. With Yossi coming back, Torres back, Babel, Kuyt and Gerrard we have more offensive players and hopefully it can be better."

Unirea Urziceni (4-1-4-1): Arlauskis; Maftei, Galamaz, Fernandes, Munteanu; Paraschiv; Onofras, Paduretu, Apostol, Frunza; Bilasco.

Liverpool (4-2-3-1): Reina; Carragher, Skrtel, Agger, Insúa; Mascherano, Lucas; Benayoun, Gerrard, Babel; Kuyt.

Referee S Johannesson (Sweden)