You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Getting a Macbook Pro next week

Antynwa

The 13" Model 2.22Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo. 256 MB Graphics. 160GB HD 2GB Memory, I'm expanding that to 4GB...Finances permitting!.

Just a few questions.

1. What Windows OS do you recommend installing via boot camp?

2. How do games function on the Windows Partition?

Thoughts?

Guest davelfc

Thoughts?

I got the 15", upgraded to 4gb and stuck a decent SSD in it. I use Vista Business on bootcamp, initially so I could use MS Money but found better Mac finance software so might delete that now.

Don't play games on my laptop but you'd be surprised how well vista runs on a mac. Better than any pc I've ever owned.

The 13" Model 2.22Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo. 256 MB Graphics. 160GB HD 2GB Memory, I'm expanding that to 4GB...Finances permitting!.

Just a few questions.

Thoughts?

1) Depends, what do you want to do with that OS?

2) Just like they would on any similar spec Sony or Dell machine, the thing to look out for the most is the integrated video card, which is by no means great for gaming, if you want the very latest and greatest games.

3) Whatever you do, do NOT buy your additional ram from Apple, they are so expensive, it is laughable. Besides that, it is a great little machine you got there.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

If you need Windows, then go with whatever your favourite version is. As far as I'm aware, all currently released versions. Windows 7 may have odd quirks in the beginning, although I'd wager that the Mac community have sorted most of them already. If there are any, I'm sure by now it'll only be driver issues with stuff like old wireless bluetooth keyboards and stuff.

Exactly the same as any other identically specified machine. It's 100% native.

I do have a question for you, though. Are you going to be using the Windows OS as your main OS?

If you need Windows, then go with whatever your favourite version is. As far as I'm aware, all currently released versions. Windows 7 may have odd quirks in the beginning, although I'd wager that the Mac community have sorted most of them already. If there are any, I'm sure by now it'll only be driver issues with stuff like old wireless bluetooth keyboards and stuff.

Exactly the same as any other identically specified machine. It's 100% native.

I do have a question for you, though. Are you going to be using the Windows OS as your main OS?

I was toying with the idea of just putting XP on it, but I am tempted by Windows 7. Depends which runs better.

Windows OS won't be my main OS. I will use it for Office, I just prefer it on Windows as opposed to Mac. I will also use Windows for some light gaming and other applications which may work better on Windows.

But my main shit such as surfing the web, programing and web design will all take place on the Mac OS X.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I was toying with the idea of just putting XP on it, but I am tempted by Windows 7. Depends which runs better.

Windows OS won't be my main OS. I will use it for Office, I just prefer it on Windows as opposed to Mac. I will also use Windows for some light gaming and other applications which may work better on Windows.

But my main shit such as surfing the web, programing and web design will all take place on the Mac OS X.

Good, I'm glad you're not one of these cunts, and I mean that in the strongest possible way, that buys a Mac, which is an expensive piece of kit, and tosses out the thing that makes it so much better than other machines.

Anyway, I have always preferred office on Mac. The creative suites are great on Mac, so I don't blame you for using them. I don't know if you're a long term Mac user or what, but if you need any tips or recommendations for software, just give me a shout.

Cheers mate, I've been using a Mac OS on my PC using the hackintosh method. But it's buggy, shit and I can't upgrade it. I am only really getting one after getting in store advice and advice on the internet.

I'm getting it fully loaded with Snow Leopard from the Mac store so that is a bonus.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Cheers mate, I've been using a Mac OS on my PC using the hackintosh method. But it's buggy, shit and I can't upgrade it. I am only really getting one after getting in store advice and advice on the internet.

I'm getting it fully loaded with Snow Leopard from the Mac store so that is a bonus.

99/100 it is flawless on a 'real' Mac. Hackintoshes are a bit shit, to be honest.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
There are lots of programs/games etc. that only run on Windows, so you have no choice, if you're in that boat.

Games, sure, but there are very few applications that don't have a (usually quite a lot better) version or equivalent on Mac.

Other than games, I'd try to keep as windows free as possible. Not that it'll do much, if anything.

Games, sure, but there are very few applications that don't have a (usually quite a lot better) version or equivalent on Mac.

Other than games, I'd try to keep as windows free as possible. Not that it'll do much, if anything.

Totally depends on what job you are in, or what you are studying etc. There is still plenty of Win only applications or solutions.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Totally depends on what job you are in, or what you are studying etc. There is still plenty of Win only applications or solutions.

Like I said, very few applications that don't have an equivalent or Mac version of the software. There are some, but not many.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
This is going round in circles. I'm well aware of what is or doesn't have equivalents on the Mac side.

Right, then you'll know that I'm right and you're wrong. As somebody that has used both platforms for many, many years, I think I'm also aware of which equivalents or Mac versions are available.

However, you're right that this is a circular argument. There are only a handful of programs that you have to use Windows for, and even then they are fairly specific.