You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder is this a change of intent from Rafa. Instead of opting for shit foreign bosmans, hes going to start taking a punt on talented lower league youngsters for the squad.

Either that or this signings being arranged by his replacement.

But "these shit foriegn bosmans" all cost nothing or nominal fees. That's the difference.

Rafa was interested in Ramsey, Walcott, Bale etc long before we on here had even heard of them. We supposedly tried to sign all 3 of the above but the funding wasn't there, likewise with many other young players we've heard about in the past who've went on to great things (Ronaldo being a prime example). Maybe now the club realise that snapping them up now is the only we we are going to compete because snapping them up 5 years down the line when their value has rocketed will be nigh on impossible in our current state

But "these shit foriegn bosmans" all cost nothing or nominal fees. That's the difference.

Rafa was interested in Ramsey, Walcott, Bale etc long before we on here had even heard of them. We supposedly tried to sign all 3 of the above but the funding wasn't there, likewise with many other young players we've heard about in the past who've went on to great things (Ronaldo being a prime example). Maybe now the club realise that snapping them up now is the only we we are going to compete because snapping them up 5 years down the line when their value has rocketed will be nigh on impossible in our current state

apart from their wages (Itandje on £20,000-a-week e.g). The cost of keeping them in hotels; the cost of getting their families etc over; the cost of keeping their families in hotels and the cost of driving them and their families around.

How Plessis & El Zhar were given new contracts Go only knows.

apart from their wages (Itandje on £20,000-a-week e.g). The cost of keeping them in hotels; the cost of getting their families etc over; the cost of keeping their families in hotels and the cost of driving them and their families around.

How Plessis & El Zhar were given new contracts Go only knows.

But Ted, all team's will incur these costs when signing and contracting players. Liverpool are no different to anyone else. You cannot expect foreigners to come in on minimum wage and give them a bus pass, likewise we wouldn't expect any English lads signed to have to do the same. These are all costs that are part and parcel of Football at this level, I fail to see why you'd criticise Liverpool for doing these things when it's par for the course.

The difference here is we are signing a massively rated English youngster for what supposedly the lad's Uncle on a Charlton forum reckons is a fee of £5million. We havn't invested a fraction of that on any youth signing, just nominal fees, lucky punts on cheaper foreigners because when the Ramseys, Walcotts and Bales were signing for our rivals the money wasn't there. This is a massive coup for us because it's the first time in recent memory I can recall us making such a signing.

But Ted, all team's will incur these costs when signing and contracting players. Liverpool are no different to anyone else. You cannot expect foreigners to come in on minimum wage and give them a bus pass, likewise we wouldn't expect any English lads signed to have to do the same. These are all costs that are part and parcel of Football at this level.

The difference here is we are signing a massively rated English youngster for what supposedly the lad's Uncle on a Charlton forum reckons is a fee of £5million. We havn't invested a fraction of that on any youth signing, just nominal fees, lucky punts on cheaper foreigners because when the Ramseys, Walcotts and Bales were signing for our rivals the money wasn't there. This is a massive coup for us because it's the first time in recent memory I can recall us making such a signing.

The finance for Ramsay was there; Benitez asked Macia and Macia said he wasn't worth it.

As for your first post: it may be part and parcel of the game, but when you have fucking parasites like Plessis, Voronin et al bleeding us dry it stinks.

The finance for Ramsay was there; Benitez asked Macia and Macia said he wasn't worth it.

As for your first post: it may be part and parcel of the game, but when you have fucking parasites like Plessis, Voronin et al bleeding us dry it stinks.

I seem to vaguely remember that we had a bid accepted for Ramsey, as did the Mancs, and that he chose to go to Arsenal.

Or am I misremembering again?

To be honest I'm in no position to comment on what Rafa and Macia have or have not said to eachother because I havn't got a clue. All I heard was that a deal was set up with Cardiff a year before Arsenal signed him which was shelved, a fraction of what Arsenal paid. How true that is I don't know.

I agree about Voronin, he was a total waste of space. Plessis was signed as a young lad with plenty of potential but by all accounts has turned in to a lazy bastard. I doubt he will last past this Summer anyway.

To me, the examples you have listed are just symptoms of the greater problem which gets discussed on every thread on here. I don't want to go in to that and hijack this thread so I'll leave it at that

Liverpool secured a projected £3 million deal to sign Jonjo Shelvey, the Charlton Athletic and England Under-18 midfield player, last night as their long-term planning continued despite continuing uncertainty over the future of Rafael Benítez.

Charlton announced on their official website that Liverpool had been given permission to discuss personal terms with Shelvey, who underwent a medical examination on Merseyside yesterday. The signing of the 18-year-old, who rejected the opportunity to join Chelsea last summer, may form the start of a “strategic partnership” between Liverpool and Charlton, potentially allowing the Premier League club greater access to youngsters from the London area.

Liverpool will pay an initial sum of £1.7 million for Shelvey, with up to another £1.3 million payable if he achieves his full potential at Anfield. The club are also in advanced discussions over Danny Wilson, the highly rated 18-year-old Rangers central defender, and are expected to proceed with the deal they have agreed to sign Milan Jovanovic, the Serbia forward, on a free transfer when his contract with Standard Liège expires at the end of June.

All three players — Shelvey, Wilson and Jovanovic — have been tracked extensively by Benítez’s scouting team, but the Liverpool manager’s future remains unclear as Juventus continue to make positive noises about their chances of luring him to Italy.

Related Links

Manuel García Quillon, the manager’s agent, has held talks with Jean-Claude Blanc, the Juventus president, with persistent reports in Turin claiming that a contract worth €4.5 million (about £4 million) a year for Benítez has been agreed with the Italian club.

The Spaniard has indicated that his preference is to stay in charge of Liverpool, but he is aware that his long-term future at Anfield cannot be taken for granted amid uncertainty over the club’s ownership, with Tom Hicks and George Gillett Jr having invited offers for their respective 50 per cent stakes.

Liverpool look ahead with £3m Jonjo Shelvey deal with Charlton | Liverpool - Times Online

Guardian rumours.. it's funny because it's probably true.

Football transfer rumours: Emmanuel Adebayor to head Man City clear-out? | Barney Ronay | Football | guardian.co.uk

Alex McLeish will spend £5m on flailing nerve-bag Ben Foster if Manchester City demand Joe Hart back. Liverpool are on the verge of signing Charlton prodigy Jonjo Shelvey, who will get a couple of games in the Carling Cup, come on for David Ngog a couple of times, look bored on the bench and then end up going to Cardiff City as soon as his youthful brio has been effectively destroyed. Shelvey has already passed up the chance to join Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs

Guardian rumours.. it's funny because it's probably true.

Football transfer rumours: Emmanuel Adebayor to head Man City clear-out? | Barney Ronay | Football | guardian.co.uk

Alex McLeish will spend £5m on flailing nerve-bag Ben Foster if Manchester City demand Joe Hart back. Liverpool are on the verge of signing Charlton prodigy Jonjo Shelvey, who will get a couple of games in the Carling Cup, come on for David Ngog a couple of times, look bored on the bench and then end up going to Cardiff City as soon as his youthful brio has been effectively destroyed. Shelvey has already passed up the chance to join Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs

Got to admit to liking that tremendously. A good read very irreverent and all slightly mad just like transfer season.

Don't forget Augero, Alves, Simao and the rest. Has it finally dawned on the arseholes that "run" the club that Rafa CAN spot talent well before the likes of Taggart and whoevers in charge at Chelsea can and to show some faith in him? Its when he has to play catch up and takes a gamble on the likes of Keane that things tend to blow up in his face. Just take a look at the players that he has brought to the club that were his first choice, Reina, Torres, Garcia, Alonso, Masch. Then take a look at the compromises he's had to make, Reira, Keane, Kriyarcos, Voronin. Sure, one or two first choices haven't set the world on fire (Lucas, Babel) but would be bitching so much if he'd got just a handful of his first choices?

But Ted, all team's will incur these costs when signing and contracting players. Liverpool are no different to anyone else. You cannot expect foreigners to come in on minimum wage and give them a bus pass, likewise we wouldn't expect any English lads signed to have to do the same. These are all costs that are part and parcel of Football at this level, I fail to see why you'd criticise Liverpool for doing these things when it's par for the course.

Think the last time we pushed the boat out this far on a youngster was that Irish lad we bought off Millwall back in Evans era. What was his name again? Mark something?

To be honest I'm in no position to comment on what Rafa and Macia have or have not said to eachother because I havn't got a clue. All I heard was that a deal was set up with Cardiff a year before Arsenal signed him which was shelved, a fraction of what Arsenal paid. How true that is I don't know.

I agree about Voronin, he was a total waste of space. Plessis was signed as a young lad with plenty of potential but by all accounts has turned in to a lazy bastard. I doubt he will last past this Summer anyway.

To me, the examples you have listed are just symptoms of the greater problem which gets discussed on every thread on here. I don't want to go in to that and hijack this thread so I'll leave it at that

Hope I'm not hijacking a thread but maybe its Plessis attitude change once he got in the first team that has put off Rafa from blooding the other youngsters. Doesn't want them taking their eye off the ball so to speak.

Besides if the rumour is to be believed you won't see much of Plessis for a while.