You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is decent but is he worth bringing and blocking a young player? NO.

Perhaps, if if we want him, it's for a year or so as back up as CB being a crucial position, Rafa thinks San Jose and Kelly are not quite there just yet should we be in a tight spot. Then again, if we do end up in that tight spot with injuries etc he may well decide to give Kelly a go after all - but having the back up in place with Sami Gone - even if only on a shortish contract to plug the gap has to be sensible.

He is decent but is he worth bringing and blocking a young player? NO.

I'd almost agree. I think if we sign a right back to challenge Arbeloa, he can cover the centre too in an emergency.

Carra

Agger

Skrtel

Arbeloa/San Jose/Kelly

Would work for me I think. Still for a couple of million providing we have enough to get a top attacking player Distin wouldn't be a bad option. He's been decent for a fair few years at the prem level.

A top side now needs four solid centre backs. We have Carragher for experience, as well as Agger and Skrtel for slightly rawer talent; so adding an experienced fourth choice centre back, who's played over 300 games in England, would make perfect sense. I'd prefer Hyypia, personally, but he's made his own decision to leave.

Weren't we interested in Distin before he went to Portsmouth? I'm sure there's some history behind this link...

I'd almost agree. I think if we sign a right back to challenge Arbeloa, he can cover the centre too in an emergency.

Carra

Agger

Skrtel

Arbeloa/San Jose/Kelly

Would work for me I think. Still for a couple of million providing we have enough to get a top attacking player Distin wouldn't be a bad option. He's been decent for a fair few years at the prem level.

That would work for me too. We could bring in Glenn Johnson then and have Arbeloa covering both right and centre back positions.

Distin would make sense, as we may need another experienced Central Defender. Agger has been troubled with his back for large parts of the season, and has been troubled yet again with it now on international duty for Denmark.

If these problems continue to trouble him and keeping him out we need an extra defender as if Sktrel or Carragher gets injuried or suspended ahead of a massive game, then San Jose or Kelly are still not ready.

Personally, I think Arbeloa's awful in central defence.

I'd rather use a combination of Arbeloa, San Jose and Kelly as cover than bring in Distin for a couple of seasons. I don't particularly rate Distin to be honest and I'd much prefer to use what we've already got and bring in a promising young right back.

A top side now needs four solid centre backs.

Weren't we interested in Distin before he went to Portsmouth? I'm sure there's some history behind this link...

Rafa tried to sign him when he left Man City but Distin chose Portsmouth because he thought he'd get more games there.

A top side now needs four solid centre backs. We have Carragher for experience, as well as Agger and Skrtel for slightly rawer talent; so adding an experienced fourth choice centre back, who's played over 300 games in England, would make perfect sense. I'd prefer Hyypia, personally, but he's made his own decision to leave.

Distin would make sense, as we may need another experienced Central Defender. Agger has been troubled with his back for large parts of the season, and has been troubled yet again with it now on international duty for Denmark.

If these problems continue to trouble him and keeping him out we need an extra defender as if Sktrel or Carragher gets injuried or suspended ahead of a massive game, then San Jose or Kelly are still not ready.

I'd agree with the above. Distin isn't ideal, but you need a bit of experience who'll be willing to accept that 4th choice position.

Distin is a decent Premiership defender. As someone has said, he has made a few mistakes over the last couple of years, but we were definitely linked with him a while back. I wouldn't mind him at all, as apart from being experienced, he brings in two much needed qualities lacking in our back four, pace and (aerial) strength. I can definitely (providing speculation is right and we do sign him) see Rafa lining Distin up against the likes of Everton, Wigan and Bolton, perhaps even Chelsea (he can't do any worse than our other CBs against Drogba after all).

The injuries to Agger are relevant too, and this bullshit about blocking young players needs to stop, if they are good enough they will be given the chance. Rafa has previously said he will assess the young CBs during summer training, perhaps he has made his mind up already. For what it is worth, I think both San Jose and Kelly have a good chance of making it here, but playing CB they need to be patient, as that position tends to require some experience at a medium level before you are thrown in at the deep end.