You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer '09 Transfer Speculation Thread

Gray - YPC

Football Pools website claim that Turkish press are linking us and manure with a £13m bid for Arda Turan. Rubbish website I know but would be a great deal if true. I think I'd even prefer him to Silva for £20m. Any Turks out there who could confirm??

Confirm what? That your a fuckwit perhaps?

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't though can you, that's my point. Say for example, we got Villa (obviously not going to happen), and he says Real have offered him £120k p/w, therefore he takes home £90k p/w. For us to match it we'd have to pay him £180k p/w. Then, naturally, Stevie, Nando, etc would want parity, and everyone else's wages would need to be amended accordingly. And we're skint.

Any British club is facing the same problem. If I was a Spanish international and had the choice of staying in Spain or coming to England where the weather's shit and I'd have to give half of everything I earn to the Government I wouldn't have much of a decision to make.

The 25 % tax rate only applies to the first six years of residency, which means your example would be valid for Benzema, Ribery et al, but not for spanish internationals such as Villa, Silva etc.

Personally I think the new british tax scheme will fail, as it gives an incentive for highly skilled professionals to choose other countries. It won't last, but it will probably ruin the PL though.... Back to the 90s.

The 25 % tax rate only applies to the first six years of residency, which means your example would be valid for Benzema, Ribery et al, but not for spanish internationals such as Villa, Silva etc.

Personally I think the new british tax scheme will fail, as it gives an incentive for highly skilled professionals to choose other countries. It won't last, but it will probably ruin the PL though.... Back to the 90s.

six months

possibly

Posted in the Johnson thread, but fuck it:

Portsmouth accept Liverpool bid for Glen Johnson

Window watch: England right back could be on his way to Anfield after South Coast club accept £18.5 million offer

Glen Johnson

Gary Jacob, James Ducker

Liverpool had an offer of about £18.5 million for Glen Johnson accepted last night. The successful bid comes after they struggled to raise the money to buy him when he was valued at about £8.5 million in January.

The Portsmouth and England right back subsequently signed a new four-year contract, but his future club appears clearer with Chelsea unwilling to match the fee for a player they sold for £4 million two years ago. Manchester City expressed an interest, but have not matched the price, which will include add-ons.

Liverpool will raise funds from the potential sales of Álvaro Arbeloa and Andrea Dossena and from outstanding money that they are owed from the sale of Peter Crouch to Portsmouth for £11 million a year ago. The Anfield club have expressed an interest in Micah Richards, the Manchester City defender.

Portsmouth accept Liverpool bid for Glen Johnson | Football - Times Online

Posted in the Johnson thread, but fuck it:

Portsmouth accept Liverpool bid for Glen Johnson

Window watch: England right back could be on his way to Anfield after South Coast club accept £18.5 million offer

Glen Johnson

Gary Jacob, James Ducker

Liverpool had an offer of about £18.5 million for Glen Johnson accepted last night. The successful bid comes after they struggled to raise the money to buy him when he was valued at about £8.5 million in January.

The Portsmouth and England right back subsequently signed a new four-year contract, but his future club appears clearer with Chelsea unwilling to match the fee for a player they sold for £4 million two years ago. Manchester City expressed an interest, but have not matched the price, which will include add-ons.

Liverpool will raise funds from the potential sales of Álvaro Arbeloa and Andrea Dossena and from outstanding money that they are owed from the sale of Peter Crouch to Portsmouth for £11 million a year ago. The Anfield club have expressed an interest in Micah Richards, the Manchester City defender.

Portsmouth accept Liverpool bid for Glen Johnson | Football - Times Online

I got pissed with that thread so stopped checking it, so thanks for putting it in here.

I have to say 18.5 is fucking ridiculous. Hes a great player but hes not worth that. I always thought we'd get him for around 14m or less, but 18.5m?

We cant be that skint i guess.

I got pissed with that thread so stopped checking it, so thanks for putting it in here.

I have to say 18.5 is fucking ridiculous. Hes a great player but hes not worth that. I always thought we'd get him for around 14m or less, but 18.5m?

I would suspect that the real pricetag is around £12-15m with addons in the price for CL/Premiership titles, etc.

If you look carefully you will see the article says they have accepted our £13.5m bid with the fee rising to £18.5m if he manages to achieve all the clauses in his contract.

They already owe £7m to us so that means £6.5m will be changing hands.

Doesn't sound as headline catching as £18.5m though does it.

Just a bit off topic from the Johnson thing. But I read somewhere today that Bolton are thinking of offering 10.2 million for Miguel Veloso. Think he might be a decent buy if either Alonso or Mascherano move. Always seem to have heard good things about him and caught the eye the 1 or 2 times I've seen him play. Anyone know if he's actually any good and worth a shout?

Nah nothing at all mate. How many of your mates told you this? And did they give you any additional information? I.e. the bid amount.

No. It was fairly vague, and as I say, I've no real links, just 1 or 2 who've had some info in the past that proved good. It was just that I received 3 seperate texts asking me if I'd heard anything and that surprised me a bit.

If you look carefully you will see the article says they have accepted our £13.5m bid with the fee rising to £18.5m if he manages to achieve all the clauses in his contract.

Surprise surprise. There's no way we will be paying £18.5m for him.

you're...it's fucking you're...how hard is it???? drives me fucking insane.

I know what you mean. It's because of this kind of puerile bullshit that I stopped visiting ynwa.tv, and why I hardly bother with RAWK.

Arbeloa only has 12 months left on his deal and seems to have been eager to return to Spain for the last two windows (didn't his agent try to engineer a move to Sevilla last summer?) - Real want him for sure, and I think Atletico are keen too. But we have to sell him rather than risk losing him for nothing.

You mean you actually managed to get drunk from reading a thread or you got drunk at the same time that the thread got drunk?

I cant see that in the Article but i trust that your probably right.

Addons will no doubt be part of it, and i'm guessing the Crouch debt, as you say, so it wont be as bad as it seems. I just hope thats the case.

I just think i was shocked at Liverpool and 18.5m being in the same sentence.