You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Torres staying regardless of Benitez's future.

aladdinsane

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fernando Torres has rejected the suggestions of his Liverpool manager, Rafael Benítez, that his injuries have cost Liverpool their chance of winning the Premier League title this season.

Which is funny, because Benitez said no such thing.

But don't let that stop you, you shoal of pilchards.

Where has that been suggested?

It was in the press yes, but I seem to remember some quotes from one or two.

Ah found one, Arbeloa.

However, according to setanta.com Arbeloa has revealed he is reluctant to sign a contract extension until manager Rafael Benitez’s future has been sealed.

“I have a contract with Liverpool for another year,” said the Liverpool defender, “We haven’t spoken about an extension. It is necessary to know first if Benitez will stay."

However he added, "It seems to be a little too soon to speak about that.”

It was in the press yes, but I seem to remember some quotes from one or two.

Ah found one, Arbeloa.

He doesn't say that he's going to leave, though, he says that he would have to think over a contract extenstion if Rafa left. In the other quote Torres says he will see out his contract if Rafa leaves but makes no mention of a contract extension. Arbleoa and Torres are saying more or less the same thing.

Have to say the way Torres conducts himself in interviews etc is fantastic. Never once have I seen him be anything but Loyal to liverpool.

You can tell the journalists are dying on many occasions for him to say he'd consider leaving but he just fucks them off.

Fingers crossed we can get 1 attacking player of his sort of standard to complement him and gerrard next season and keep the 3 of them fit. Then it would be interesting.

Where has that been suggested?

It's been widely suggested in the press and picked upon by many posters on this forum. Just to give one example.

Fernando Torres could leave Liverpool if Rafa Benitez isn't given new deal - mirror.co.uk

It doesn't matter that the source is nonsense, it's still a mischevious view which has been given wide currency by Rafa's admirers and supporters, and I'm glad Torres has come out with these comments. Of course, if Rafa goes, everything depends on who comes in, but that stands for every player in the squad.

He doesn't say that he's going to leave, though, he says that he would have to think over a contract extenstion if Rafa left. In the other quote Torres says he will see out his contract if Rafa leaves but makes no mention of a contract extension. Arbleoa and Torres are saying more or less the same thing.

Because it would be presumptious to do so. It's 4 and a half years away, he can't really talk about that can he? Also, I seem to remember him saying when he signed he intended to stay for the 6 years of his contract and return to Spain. So nothing changes.

Because it would be presumptious to do so. It's 4 and a half years away, he can't really talk about that can he? Also, I seem to remember him saying when he signed he intended to stay for the 6 years of his contract and return to Spain. So nothing changes.

Spot on that, I cant believe the hysteria in this thread, or actually I can.

But if you get a British manager, where we struggle in Europe qualifying for the knockout stages, being knocked out by European minnows from unknown leagues (remember the Houllier days?), they won't renew their contract.

So far there hasn't been a British manager who isn't clueless in Europe besides old Red Nose.

What European minows knocked us out of Europe under Houllier? I cant remember any. Im even struggling to remember any minows knocking us out under evans either!

What European minows knocked us out of Europe under Houllier? I cant remember any. Im even struggling to remember any minows knocking us out under evans either!

basle under houllier and brondby under evans. strasburg (evans) were hardly world class either. I'll never forget that brondby game fucking danny aggen hippy cunt.

New Liverpool contract will put striker on £90,000 a week

By ANDY DUNN, 07/03/2009

FERNANDO TORRES is ready to sign a new £22million deal with Liverpool.

The Spanish striker’s advisors have told the club’s American owners that the player will ignore overtures from across Europe to agree new terms this summer.

That would see the wages of the 24-year-old leap by £20,000 a week to £90,000 — with an extra year added to his existing deal.

Torres signed a bumper six-year deal when he joined from Atletico Madrid for £23m in 2007.

Although he’s struggled with injury this season, he’s become one of the most wanted strikers in the world and Manchester City are among those considering a massive bid.

But Torres has no intention of quitting Anfield, regardless of the boardroom and managerial uncertainty. Earlier this week, he rubbished claims he’d leave the club unless Rafa Benitez stayed as manager.

Talks have been on the back-burner while the club resolves Benitez’s situation but rewarding Torres is a top priority at the end of the current campaign.

Rivals

But Liverpool may have to cope without him in the Champions League showdown against Real Madrid at Anfield on Tuesday as they defend a 1-0 lead.

The hitman has been unable to train since the first leg due to an ankle problem and will undergo a fitness test tomorrow. The victory in the Bernabeu was Torres’ first win over his former city rivals in nine attempts.

Benitez said: “We are pushing him and are trying to get him fit for the game. He is very important to us.

“I didn’t know the statistics about Torres but when you are not winning against a team like Real Madrid you just know that there has to be a first time to enjoy a victory.

“He felt good about winning in the Bernabeu but that’s no good unless we carry on where we left off at Anfield.”

Guest juanmanual

Hi all,yep I'm the newbie.

Just to add my bit for what its worth,i don't find Torres or any other player for that matter saying they will stay on regardless of Rafa's situation as anything special or something to be happy about,why?because if Torres or any other player was here because and only for Rafa as opposed to been here and giving their all for Liverpool Football Club then regardless of how good the are they have no place here imo.

This club is far bigger,greater and more important than any individual.

In saying all that,long live Nando,the new "king" of the Kop.