You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

From the Guardian: Liverpool's transfer failures

FatTed

The only ones I would really call a failure there is Pennant and Morientes. The others we hardly made a loss, and in a few cases, made a profit. I mean obviously they were failures, but hardly in the sort of Diouf,, Veron or Sheva category.

However we can add Dossena, Degen and arguably Keane to that list.

We made a profit on Kromkamp, Bellamy, Barragan, Margot Salad.Pellegrino gave Sami the rest needed to be on top for the CL. Nunez? As if we fucking wanted him.

JP and Morientes are the only ones on there that I agree with.

What about Kleberson, Bosnich, Taibi, Larry White, Saha etc.

Fuck off. When they've nothing else to beat us with they always invent something. Cunts.

How can Barragan be deemed a transfer failure? He was bought as a youngster, spent a bit of time in our system and then was sold for a profit.

They really do dream this stuff up out of nowhere. I don't believe there's a media conspiracy against the club, but there's certainly some who enjoy sticking the knife in when it concerns Liverpool.

Ultimately none of those players proved to be right for us, so it's hard to disagree with any of that list.

Lots of arrant nonsense is being spoken about a "media conspiracy", but to be honest they've been kind to us in not including any of this season's signings in their roundup.

Ultimately none of those players proved to be right for us, so it's hard to disagree with any of that list

Even if that were the case, what's the point?

Berbatov hasn't exactly dazzled since his move, where's their list?

Are we to believe that everytime a high profile signing doesn't work out in the future the Guardian will quickly knock up a list of their previous failures?

I don't think the media hate us, but I do think some fans in their desperation not to appear biased will try and justify obvious agenda driven pieces like this.

Even if that were the case, what's the point?

Well presumably it wasn't produced in isolation, but as part of a wider look at how we paid £20m for the country's most prolific striker, then decided after three months that he wouldn't fit in at the club. It's kinda hard to judge an article like this out of context.

Berbatov hasn't exactly dazzled since his move, where's their list?

Right here:

Ferguson's knack has failed him in signing flops and misfits | Football | The Guardian

Are we to believe that everytime a high profile signing doesn't work out in the future for any team, the Guardian will quickly knock up a list of their previous failures?

They're journalists. It's part of their job to examine and comment upon trends. Also: see above.

I don't think the media hate us, but I do think some fans in their desperation not to look biased will try and justify obvious agenda driven pieces like this.

Yes, the agenda is so obvious that it's completely passed me by.

Well presumably it wasn't produced in isolation, but as part of a wider look at how we paid £20m for the country's most prolific striker, then decided after three months that he wouldn't fit in at the club. It's kinda hard to judge an article like this out of context.

I stopped reading after this bit. You're obviously not the most pleasant of people, and your justification for a poorly researched load of tripe and clear attempt to unsettle us is bordering on the ridiculous.

You live and learn.

On Nunez...

"But he tore knee ligaments in his second training session and left a year later with nothing but a Champions League winner’s medal to show for his time in England"

Love the way they casually mention that, like players spending one year in England and leaving with a Champions league medal happens every day.

(Ok yeh he was still shite like)

On Nunez...

"But he tore knee ligaments in his second training session and left a year later with nothing but a Champions League winner’s medal to show for his time in England"

Love the way they casually mention that, like players spending one year in England and leaving with a Champions league medal happens every day.

(Ok yeh he was still shite like)

Haha, yeah, I spotted that.

Nothing but a Champions League medal. He must have been gutted.

Morientes was not a bad signing by any means, and he did have a number of good games. And apart from Ballague, how many people thought he would turn out to be a disappointment?

The real disappointment is our transfer record under Rafa is persisting in signing "problem" players from the Premiership - Bellamy; Pennant; now Keane - none of them 'team' players, and all of whom - quelle surprise - haven't settled at Liverpool.

Are they doing this for Manure??

Why are they suddenly doing this?? Is it because where top of the league.

Do they not mention that:

Wayne Rooney - Not worth £30 Million - Dosen't get enough goals

Anderson - £21 Million - FLOP - What is Anderson doing for that fee?

Nani - £18 Million - FLOP - What is Nani doing for that fee?

Berbatov - £35 Million - FLOP - Over-rated

Veron - £30 Million - FLOP - Total Crap

Hargreaves - £23 Million - FLOP - Injury Prone, wasn't everyone calling him the worst england player ever?? Oh he's at Manure, he must be good.

Carrick - £18 Million??? Bizarre signing

Liverpool have made a profit on most of these players!!

And also how many youngsters have the big clubs signed and they just dissapear??

Looking at it, Man Utd haven't been that bad with transfers since they won the treble, with only Veron (£28m), Forlan (£7.5m), Kleberson (£6m) and Smith (£7m) the only real expensive flops. Other signings have been bad, but didn't cost a lot of money.

Chelsea on the other hand. Check this out. Since Roman took over, all of these flops have came in.

Shevchenko (£30m), Veron (£15m), Parker (£10m), Crespo (£17m), Mutu (£16m), Duff (£17m), Wright-Phillips (£21m), Ferreira (£12m),Boulharouz (£8,5m), Tiago (£10m), Del Horno (£8m), Ivanovic (£9m), Malouda (£13.5m).

Thats over £180M in only 5 years, fucked up. Now that is fucking atrocious!

Are they doing this for Manure??

Why are they suddenly doing this?? Is it because where top of the league.

Do they not mention that:

Wayne Rooney - Not worth £30 Million - Dosen't get enough goals

Anderson - £21 Million - FLOP - What is Anderson doing for that fee?

Nani - £18 Million - FLOP - What is Nani doing for that fee?

Berbatov - £35 Million - FLOP - Over-rated

Veron - £30 Million - FLOP - Total Crap

Hargreaves - £23 Million - FLOP - Injury Prone, wasn't everyone calling him the worst england player ever?? Oh he's at Manure, he must be good.

Carrick - £18 Million??? Bizarre signing

Liverpool have made a profit on most of these players!!

And also how many youngsters have the big clubs signed and they just dissapear??

Those fee's are way out.

Keane is the epitome of a 'team' player. I think some fans have mistaken his desperation to do well and disapointment at constantly being subbed on 60 minutes as evidence of an attitude problem.

Calling Robbie a team player is like calling Alex Ferguson a temperance worker. I'd call the way he's behaved recently - gesturing, gesticulating, openly expressing dissent with the manager, letting rip at younger players like Babel during the PSV game - a classic attitude problem

By the way Keane was substituted in 17 of his last 21 matches for Spurs - maybe, just maybe, managers realise his fitness levels are not good enough to last 90 minutes?? Or more kindly, the energetic way he plays football can't be sustained for 90 minutes at his age?

I stopped reading after this bit.

Pity, cos you could have learned something, Momo.

You're obviously not the most pleasant of people, and your justification for a poorly researched load of tripe and clear attempt to unsettle us is bordering on the ridiculous.

Yes, I'm sure our entire squad will be quaking in their boots after that searing critique of... their former team-mates.

You live and learn.

Some of us do, certainly.

You'd have to include Hargreaves in their flop list. 18 million for an average, injury prone central midfielder?

Go back to Fergie's first 5 or 6 seasons and there's two pages worth.

Who's arsed about the early 90's. It has no relevance with this.

Calling Robbie a team player is like calling Alex Ferguson a temperance worker. I'd call the way he's behaved recently - gesturing, gesticulating, openly expressing dissent with the manager, letting rip at younger players like Babel during the PSV game - a classic attitude problem.

He was right to rip into Babel, it's about time someone did.

I don't remember any direct dissent to the manager other than genuine disapointment and disbelief at being taken off yet again at some ridiculous pre-determined time in the game.

God forbid one of our players show a bit of passion and desire. Everything about us is super controlled, and in turn super dull.

Edited by FatTed