You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I don't rate them any higher than Lucas, the difference between them and Lucas is Lucas has actually had a chance or two while Spearing hasn't at all. Guthrie has put in some very good performances for Bolton, and the only thing he lacked was the final ball. You've already said you saw Lucas play for Gremio, which is obviously why you're defending him. The gulf of class between leagues is huge, and not worth judging a player on.

See I think Spearing gets a chance, EVERY SINGLE DAY, in training. He obviously hasn't done enough to displace Lucas.

And, I'm not defending him because I saw him at Gremio, all that did was give me a few extra data points with which to make a judgment. And I'm not so naive as to think you can transfer performances from Brazil -> EPL. At least give me that much credit. But it does show that there are dimensions to his game that those who have only seen him play in England wouldn't be aware of. Nothing more, nothing less.

See I think Spearing gets a chance, EVERY SINGLE DAY, in training. He obviously hasn't done enough to displace Lucas.

And, I'm not defending him because I saw him at Gremio, all that did was give me a few extra data points with which to make a judgment. And I'm not so naive as to think you can transfer performances from Brazil -> EPL. At least give me that much credit. But it does show that there are dimensions to his game that those who have only seen him play in England wouldn't be aware of. Nothing more, nothing less.

Well then you're naive, Spearing is an academy player ergo Rafa won't give him a game. He would rather spend 6m than give an academy product a run out.

So where did you move to?

Vietnam. For work. Terrible weather, but you get to watch 3pm KO Prem games at 10pm Saturday night, which is pretty much perfect. Swings and roundabouts.

Having said that, Champions League matches are a nightmare of interrupted sleep, cups of tea at 3am and dozing off at my desk the next day.

Well then you're naive, Spearing is an academy player ergo Rafa won't give him a game. He would rather spend 6m than give an academy product a run out.

See I don't buy that, I just think Spearing aint good enough. You think Rafa is what anti-scouse or something?

Vietnam. For work. Terrible weather, but you get to watch 3pm KO Prem games at 10pm Saturday night, which is pretty much perfect. Swings and roundabouts.

Having said that, Champions League matches are a nightmare of interrupted sleep, cups of tea at 3am and dozing off at my desk the next day.

:eek: Some culture shock I bet. I spent time in Indonesia. What an eye opener.

:eek: Some culture shock I bet. I spent time in Indonesia. What an eye opener.

I had been here a few times previously so it wasn't a complete surprise, but yes, one or two adjustments certainly required. Not been to Indonesia, but it's certainly on the list of places to visit whilst out this way.

I don't just buy it, I know it. Nothing to do with him being xenophobic or anything like that.

I've seen the gossip and only a few facts. The facts I have seen could easily be interpreted one way or the other.

Has someone posted these facts on here somewhere? Is there a thread on the situation?

Lucas has been nothing better than OK for us since he arrived. At worst, he's had a couple of dire performances, though. To me he typifies a couple of Rafa's perennial errors: paying over the odds for squad players and playing people out of position. In fairness to Rafa, he often ends up correcting these mistakes, but in the meantime the evidence is clear for all to see on the pitch.

As for the Speo height thing, it's a bizarre argument. What does a defensive midfielder need height for? Makalele and The Chief got/get by just fine without it and it's probably, along with the number ten position, the most forgiving place on the pitch for short arses. How often do we see Xabi or Mascherano jumping for headers in the middle of the park? Not very often is the answer.

How often do we see Xabi or Mascherano jumping for headers in the middle of the park? Not very often is the answer.

Actually, apart from the CB's, I'm pretty sure no other Liverpool-player on the pitch goes for more headers than Xabi. It's in the middle, but some yards into our own half, that a lot of the oppo-keeper's kicks end up, and a big part of the defenders hoofs as well.

And he wins almost every time, that's the really ace part. His timing and technique in those aerial duels is fantastic. Just watch him closely for an entire game, and you'll see.

We'll have to ask Rafa for the true stats though!

I'm not saying Spearing is better than Lucas, but the above is completely wrong as Lucas trains with the first team and Spearing trains with the reserves.

Occasionally he will be asked to train with the first team, but to say he he gets a chance to outshine Lucas in training every day is just factually incorrect.

Actually, apart from the CB's, I'm pretty sure no other Liverpool-player on the pitch goes for more headers than Xabi. It's in the middle, but some yards into our own half, that a lot of the oppo-keeper's kicks end up, and a big part of the defenders hoofs as well.

And he wins almost every time, that's the really ace part. His timing and technique in those aerial duels is fantastic. Just watch him closely for an entire game, and you'll see.

We'll have to ask Rafa for the true stats though!

I know what you're saying, but midfield aerial battles are hardly a constant feature of our games, are they? And besides, the point about Xabi's timing supports the point about height being largely irrelevant in the middle.

lets fuckin face it,this guy aint fit to wear the shirt,he jogs around like a fucking demented headless turkey,sticking his foot out now and again,and more often not giving a foul away!,when hes not doing that hes giving the ball away,no pace,never scores,rarely tackles,dunno what the cunt does,hes on a par with feri tanner piecnik kvarme ect.ie fucking wank!

lets fuckin face it,this guy aint fit to wear the shirt,he jogs around like a fucking demented headless turkey,sticking his foot out now and again,and more often not giving a foul away!,when hes not doing that hes giving the ball away,no pace,never scores,rarely tackles,dunno what the cunt does,hes on a par with feri tanner piecnik kvarme ect.ie fucking wank!

A translation out there for those who need it, you dont need to lock the women and children up to read this variant:

'What-ho chaps, the fact of the matter is that Lucas is not of the required standard expected of a Liverpool player. He seems to run around without any direction or purpose, and is a bit of a liability when it comes to giving fouls away. If I could summise his negative qualities, they would include poor retention of the ball, a distinct lack of pace,a poor goal scoring record, despite him scoring one more than Mascherano from a similar position, has a tendency to shirk tackles and something else which merits me calling him a part of the body that a lady has that a man does not. I rate him on the same level of alumni Ferri, Piechnik, Tanner and Kvarme etc in that they are all equally ineffectual"

No need for that whatsoever...:telloff:

Not enough experience/time on the pitch and massive roles to fill when he's replacing one of the Gerrard/Monster/Xabi roles, so it's hardly surprising I guess.

Also, he's scored two goals for us hasn't he, and both have been in the league cup? I don't think that's a co-incidence at all, because it looks like he's being kept further back in the PL. He's just not getting the freedom to go up enough I don't think. Or maybe he just wants to make sure that he doesn't cause problems with his role further back when he moves up and there's a counter-attack.

Someone seemed to explain it really well in the Pompy thread though I think, will find and quote the post in a min.

How mnay goals have Xabi or Masch ? Lucas got 5 assists last season, more than Xabi and Masch combined, in just 12 starts. He's done nothing wrong so far, just not set the world alight and as a brazilian player of the year etc etc he's going to have some expectations on him. Some people even think he held back Guthrie, when in fact NOONE EVER mentioned Guthrie until he popped up on loan at Bolton and then moved to Newcastle. Rafas been good at moving players on who werent able to play 'his' way, so i guess we'll see in the summer. But I think he'll come through and is slowly getting more involved. Ludicrous the amount of slagging he gets.

A bit hopeless, a Sean Dundee in fact ?

I know what you're saying, but midfield aerial battles are hardly a constant feature of our games, are they? And besides, the point about Xabi's timing supports the point about height being largely irrelevant in the middle.

Well, a lot of teams play it long against us, and Xabi often sits deep enough to be the natural player challenging for those balls.

And even though his timing is ace, he's hardly a midget. He's 1,83, Spearing is 1,68! Mascherano is 1,74, as tall as I am, so don't anyone fucking dare calling him short.