You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafa and Hicks an unlikely alliance ?

Dougie Do'ins

It was'nt that long ago that we were all up in arms and united behind Rafa over the Klinsman saga.

Weather you were in agreement with Rafa's tactics happy with our league form and performances or not it did'nt matter. We had been lied to Rafa had been wronged and our club had been made to look a total shambles.

Although I think Rafa could have conducted himself better in the now famous press conference we all had one common enemy. Tom Hicks. We wanted him gone then and to this day nothing has changed.

His actions in some peoples eyes were responsible for the demise of results and performances and more worryingly the long term future of our club.

Little has changed off the field. We all hope G+H will go and let the club move forward.

Whats this got to do with Rafa. ?

Well if recent quotes from Rafa and things printed in the press are anything to go by it seems that Rafa and hicks have kissed and made up.

Rafa seems to know that he'll be at the club beyond his current contract and the only person who could have given him this assurance is Hicks.

At the moment things seem to have improved on and off the pitch. An excellent win against Milan coupled with a E mail of congratulations from Hicks. Two much needed prem wins (lets hope its three) and a couple of signings and things in the short term seem a lot better.

Short term that's where I have a problem.

If Hicks stays long term with the debt he's saddled us with and the transfer kitty drys up then what. ?

The cracks in the relationship between Rafa and Hicks will start to show again and Rafa will be gone. Pushed or jump it wont matter. We'll be left with Hicks for the next 10~15~20 years and his debt.

Is Rafa being blinded by his will to manage his team and get another contract whilst not seeing the long term implications for our club.

How he could ever trust Hicks again is beyond me and I just have an uneasy feeling about it all.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, the Rafa Can Do No Wrong brigade have been twisting themselves into fucking knots trying to square all this away without crticising Benitez.

It's fucking hilarious to watch.

"Yeah, he said all that to expose those Yank cunts nice one Rafa!"

"He's playing this brilliantly, he's only grovelling apologies to get more cash!"

"He knows those Yank cunts wanted Klinsmann, he's a genius at PR!"

"Oh, he knows DIC are taking over, it's only a matter of time!"

"Yeah, he's pretending to be Hick's mate and publically supporting him because...er....because, hang on...er, shit."

Yeah, the Rafa Can Do No Wrong brigade have been twisting themselves into fucking knots trying to square all this away without crticising Benitez.

It's fucking hilarious to watch.

"Yeah, he said all that to expose those Yank cunts nice one Rafa!"

"He's playing this brilliantly, he's only grovelling apologies to get more cash!"

"He knows those Yank cunts wanted Klinsmann, he's a genius at PR!"

"Oh, he knows DIC are taking over, it's only a matter of time!"

"Yeah, he's pretending to be Hick's mate and publically supporting him because...er....because, hang on...er, shit."

Do you think using "fucking" as an adverb all the time makes you seem more intelligent, Brendan? Or somehow makes your points more worthy of note? The problem is, it makes you sound 12. Are you 12?

Rafa has formed an alliance with Hicks and Ian Ayre. In the other camp you have Parry, Moores and DIC.

The whole thing turns my stomach, I'm sick of the lot of them.

Is there a reason for Rafa, forming alliances with those 2?

Guest TK-421
Rafa has formed an alliance with Hicks and Ian Ayre. In the other camp you have Parry, Moores and DIC.

Do you think Rafa is gone if DIC get in? That seems to be the inference to me.

Do you think using "fucking" as an adverb all the time makes you seem more intelligent, Brendan? Or somehow makes your points more worthy of note? The problem is, it makes you sound 12. Are you 12?

Yes, it's common knowledge that the word "fucking" adds intellectual weight to any argument.

According to some "sources" Rafa is doing something very ingenius at the moment...

Any idea what, Dave?

I think it's become a case of my enemy's enemy is my friend. Parry and Benitez have never got on and if Parry's now sided with DIC that would leave Benitez sidelined. Everyone needs allies and maybe that's why he's aligned himself with Hicks.

It could turn out to be a poor move though on Benitez's part if DIC gain control.

Why is Cowtown Red on Rawk suggesting Rafa can't stand Hicks, but is playing along?

I don't buy it that he's formed an alliance. Doesn't make sense. What does make sense is to keep on Hicks good side in the short term.

Or Hicks and Ayre confide information to Rafa and he tells other parties?

Is there a reason for Rafa, forming alliances with those 2?

No idea, I assume it's because it's in his best interests if he wants to keep his job.

What I don't like about it all is that Rafa spent the best part of six months telling everyone off the record how bad the yanks were and how they needed to fuck off. Obviously that all came to a head over the Klinsmann thing, and the fans took to the streets to support him against the owners.

Then Hicks lets him know his job isn't under threat anymore, and Rafa is putting out messages to the same people that maybe it isn't such a bad thing if Hicks stays after all. What's changed? As far as I can see, the only thing that has changed is his own job security.

The club is fucked if Hicks gets control, so how come Rafa is in his corner? Maybe he's got a good reason and there's stuff we don't know. I hope so, as otherwise he's letting down a lot of people.

Or these people on RAWK are full of shit and think they know everything about the club when really its get-life-time?

Y'know the type, at the front of the queue at 3am at the TO in their replica kit just to make sure they get an end-of-the-row seat at Wigan away so they can scream " sammmmiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii" to see if Hyypia waves at them when the team comes to warm up.

Just a perception like.

Maybe he has, but there's one big difference between him and the others involved in this saga, and that is his motive.

Rafa has only one (or two) motives, and that's to form a successful team (and be the one who manages to do that). Every other party in this endless story has motives that are, to put it mildly, questionable, when it comes to the future of Liverpool FC.

The only thing that worries me if your take on it is correct and Rafa has formed an alliance with Hicks, is that Rafa think Hicks will be the one in charge in the future. If he was as sure of DIC getting in as most people are, then he wouldnt've formed an alliance with Hicks.

No idea, I assume it's because it's in his best interests if he wants to keep his job.

What I don't like about it all is that Rafa spent the best part of six months telling everyone off the record how bad the yanks were and how they needed to fuck off. Obviously that all came to a head over the Klinsmann thing, and the fans took to the streets to support him against the owners.

Then Hicks lets him know his job isn't under threat anymore, and Rafa is putting out messages to the same people that maybe it isn't such a bad thing if Hicks stays after all. What's changed? As far as I can see, the only thing that has changed is his own job security.

The club is fucked if Hicks gets control, so how come Rafa is in his corner? Maybe he's got a good reason and there's stuff we don't know. I hope so, as otherwise he's letting down a lot of people.

That would be exactly how I would feel as I've been defending him a lot over the last couple of months.

Thanks for the info.

Maybe he has, but there's one big difference between him and the others involved in this saga, and that is his motive.

Rafa has only one (or two) motives, and that's to form a successful team (and be the one who manages to do that). Every other party in this endless story has motives that are, to put it mildly, questionable, when it comes to the future of Liverpool FC.

The only thing that worries me if your take on it is correct and Rafa has formed an alliance with Hicks, is that Rafa think Hicks will be the one in charge in the future. If he was as sure of DIC getting in as most people are, then he wouldnt've formed an alliance with Hicks.

Uhm, stay in his job and get his x million paycheck per year might be a big motive for him as well.

Maybe Benitez has another agenda? Maybe he's actually very settled where he's living and he's stated on numerous occassions how happy his family are here. If he thought that was in jeopardy, who knows what he would do. That might be bollocks, but to assume hiss motives are purely professional might be a bit naive.

Rafa is the manager and will have no say whatsoever on who owns the club. He will protect his own position as any of us would and so will not come out in public support of anyone. He will of course tell Hicks he is happy to work for him, and if DIC buy us he will tell them he is happy to work for them. He wants to stay with us so if he went against Hicks then Hicks would no doubt just sack him.

I think Rafa is in a very difficult place at the moment.

Uhm, stay in his job and get his x million paycheck per year might be a big motive for him as well.

Not at all. He will get his money if he's sacked. Not only that, but he will be able to get a new job, making even more money in the same period of time. And he will get another job, and in a big team aswell. If money were his motive he would pray for getting sacked.

Not at all. He will get his money if he's sacked. Not only that, but he will be able to get a new job, making even more money in the same period of time. And he will get another job, and in a big team aswell. If money were his motive he would pray for a sacking.

But he wants to work for Liverpool. Money is no longer an issue for Rafa.