You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Klinsmann to be new bayern boss

fivetimes

I'm more concerned with the owners & the overall future of the club under their regime. I love Rafa to bits but I'm not 100% convinced that he is the man to take the club forward. However, if we had new owners in place and increased funds to spend then, I would be willing to give Rafa another season.

Ya see this is what I really dont get, why is it fans are allowed to express doubts over Rafa, but the Yanks arent ? Wouldnt it be worse if they didn't have some concernts ? There isnt one LFC fan I know who doesnt have some concerns over Rafas methods. We also dont want a repeat of the Moores, or perception around Moores, that he became to close to certain managers to give them the boot when they required it.

Id say the consensus of opinion at the moment is that Rafa has to sort out some fundamental issues of his methodology to be succesfull in the league, but that he has demonstrated that he deserves another year at least. And that is the postion, we musnt let rumours of horrible Yanks cloud our judgement on Rafa. When and if the Yanks sack Rafa, when and if it seems correct, we can debate. But given the amount of discussion on here about Rafa and his perceived weaknesses, its mad (in a nice way) to be hanging the Yanks on the basis of rumoured discontent at Rafas performance.

WHatever we think of HIcks, I cant say I disagreed with his assesment of the United game "The Players didnt look like they were mentally up for it" (or words to that efffect). Could you argue with that ?

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think I deserve to be called a cunt for questionning Rafa's transferes - he has taken about 9 goes to buy a decent striker! Plus I don't remember Dave being called a cunt for saying the same thing a week ago on the Wigan report. The rest of your post is absolute dog shit, as usual.

No, I posed a serious question and didn't call you a cunt(I merely offered speculation on why you get called a cunt). You are prone to throwing the same shite negative view at us in 75,474 ways on every thread on this board. Period.

You should start to assess your real reasons for this negativity if you can't see the growth under Rafa.

He has taken 9 goes to buy a decent striker? Morientes, Crouch, Bellamy, Voronin, Kuyt, and Torres. That seems like nine. You can count Fowler or not if you want to split hairs, as he was always stop-gap and down the pecking order. Cisse was never Rafa's signing.

Four of them are still at the club. Two of those strikers managed over double digit goals in all competitions last season for us.

However, he hasn't managed a 'decent striker' out of six tries!

I wouldn't really expect you to back up your absolute rubbish with fact though... That wouldn't be right, would it?

Let's be honest. You hate the man.

Benitez left exposed - Mirror.co.uk

Benitez left exposed

By David Maddock 12/01/2008

Rafael Benitez's worst fears were realised last night, as news emerged that his job had been offered to Jurgen Klinsmann.

The former Germany boss was yesterday installed as the next coach of Bayern Munich, but senior officials at the Bavarian club confirmed they moved so swiftly because Klinsmann had been the subject of an official approach by Liverpool.

One high-ranking official admitted: "There was a detailed proposal made to Jurgen by Liverpool, just waiting for his signature."

would have been relieved yesterday to hear Klinsmann had chosen to resume his coaching career in his native country.

But that relief will have barely had time to register, before the full horror of the situation dawned on him.

Klinsmann it seems, was not only sounded out as a possible Anfield manager, but had a contract on his desk waiting for him to sign following negotiations in America.

While it means that the Spaniard is safe at Anfield for the time being, it also suggests that Benitez's position at the club is virtually untenable.

Liverpool declined to comment on the offer to Klinsmann last night, but their refusal to deny it is confirmation of what has been apparent for some months - that American owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett want a new manager.

Benitez will continue until the end of the season, but he becomes almost a lame duck manager, with the knowledge that his bosses are clearly so keen to replace him as soon as possible.

Benitez yesterday proudly backed his ability to produce results at Anfield, but it would probably take the miracle of a Premier League title win for him to survive.

Martin O'Neill and Jose Mourinho now appear the main candidates to take over.

Benitez, though, was yesterday allowed to complete the signing of £6million Slovakia international centre-back Martin Skrtel from Russian club Zenit St Petersburg.

Benitez said:

"His qualities are similar to Jamie Carragher's, in that he's aggressive, good in the air and with pace."

If the bit in bold is true then Rafa is fighting a losing battle and all i will say is strap yourself in because the ride is going to get bumpy.

Guest Romano Polizia

So the Americans and Parry might have offered Klinsman the job, he didn't accept and went to Bayern instead.

Benitez and the new owners have kissed and made up over what was a misunderstanding at best over transfers (see Rafa's latest interview) and are now pulling in the right direction, signing our most ever expensive defender in the process.

Why is this even a story?

I get the feeling there are people out there who want the Americans out for their own personal reasons, and, Reds or not, will do what it takes, even if that means destabilizing the team, which will only end up in the manager being sacked anyway.

Certain people keep saying "we need to get the yanks out", yet come up with no contingency plan, as though investors come along like buses and deals take a few minutes. You have to wonder what their agendas are.

Guest Romano Polizia
If the bit in bold is true then Rafa is fighting a losing battle and all i will say is strap yourself in because the ride is going to get bumpy.

Why should they come out and respond to a non story, especially in the Daily Mirror of all papers?

Maybe they're carrying on our fine tradition of not pandering to tabloid speculation.

People need to calm down and stop reacting to every single media report when there's a clear agenda at work.

Why should they come out and respond to a non story, especially in the Daily Mirror of all papers?

Maybe they're carrying on our fine tradition of not pandering to tabloid speculation.

People need to calm down and stop reacting to every single media report when there's a clear agenda at work.

If they have been contacted regardrs Capello and answered no and then asked about Klinsmann and refused to comment what does that tell you.

Rafa is expected to answer these questions everytime but they arent.

How hard would it be for them to totally nip it in the bud once and for all and say they are 100% behind Rafa and any stories you see in the paper linking them with other managers is rubbish.

One statement mate thats all it would take but that statement doesnt seem to be forthcoming.

At this moment in time, I am a very frustrated Liverpool fan. I hasten to add not with Rafa or the team as I feel Rafa has done enough in his time here to deserve some patience and that the perfomances of the team are probably as a result of the uncertainty off the pitch.

When Hicks and Gillett took over the club I believed from what they said that we would be able to compete at the top level - Rafa would no longer have to settle for his second/third targets. I would no longer fear picking up the paper and reading that Rafa had gone to Real/Inter/Bayern Munich as a result of his frustration that Liverpool cannot afford the players he really wanted. No longer reading in the paper comments from Rafa talking about his frustration in missing out on the best young players like Denilson and Diaby to Arsenal due to a lack of a) money and/or b) speed. After all we had all been led to believe these were the reasons we had sold the club in the first place.

I looked at our team and considered that, with a manager that was such a good tactician we could beat any team in a one off game - explaining why we were so good in cup competitions - but to win in the league we needed another three World Class players. I believed following the introductory press conference that the Amercians would give us the money to buy these players along with money for some top notch young players and that we would blow everyone else out of the water in the summer transfer market as a statement of intent.

Personally I believe that Rafa initially felt that too but I just wonder whether Rafa felt after that time the Americans believed that because we had reached the European Cup Final we did not need to spend that much money. That was what led him to make the comments after the European Cup Final that Liverpool would need to outdo what our rivals did in the transfer market to make up ground or match it, to stay in touch.

Man Utd having just won the league went out and spent £50m on two players for the first team and two promising youngsters. This leads me to my furstation, I believe that had Rafa not been so ambitious and determined to put Liverpool back on top they would not be looking to sack him. As he has pestered Hicks and Gillett and tried to get them to commit money and made life uncmfortable for them, they are looking to replace him with someone who will toe the line and not get too upset when we lose players like Mascherano. People will no doubt say there is no proof Liverpool are looking to replace him but when the ex chief reporter of the Echo, Oliver Kay, Paul Joyce and most of the other papers say that he is very close to the sack and start talking about Klinnsmann as a possible replacement, I believe that they are. If its not true why didn't the club come out and deny it straight away? Like they did with Capello?

For me, we have a manager that has been saying since the European Cup Final, to win trophies we need to buy top class players, a manager that is prepared to take the risk of getting sacked to make points and we have owners that have made up their mind to get rid of him, not because we have finished poorly in the league- who knew in mid December where we will finish, not because we are out of Europe but because he has acted in the way most fans would do if they felt we were in danger of falling behind and losing our top players. He has made his point for months privately and in desperation brought it into the public arena.

I feel that if we don't do something now next season we may well have a different manager that gets along with the board very well because both their goals are well aligned i.e. mediocrity. I feel that we need to start putting pressure on the Americans, not necessarily to go but to least explain what the hell they are upto. I mean they must be aware that fans are unhappy but the Echo and the club have been deathly quiet about any of these major issues for the last month, nothing from Hicks, nothing from Gillett, nothing from Parry.

Guest Romano Polizia
If they have been contacted regardrs Capello and answered no and then asked about Klinsmann and refused to comment what does that tell you.

Rafa is expected to answer these questions everytime but they arent.

How hard would it be for them to totally nip it in the bud once and for all and say they are 100% behind Rafa and any stories you see in the paper linking them with other managers is rubbish.

One statement mate thats all it would take but that statement doesnt seem to be forthcoming.

I thought they had made a statement after the meeting?

The media will spin it anyhow. As someone already said, only good results will stop it.

Rafa is happy now, at least on the surface, so let him get on with the job of getting results, or they will have a valid reason for getting rid.

Guest Romano Polizia
At this moment in time, I am a very frustrated Liverpool fan. I hasten to add not with Rafa or the team as I feel Rafa has done enough in his time here to deserve some patience and that the perfomances of the team are probably as a result of the uncertainty off the pitch.

When Hicks and Gillett took over the club I believed from what they said that we would be able to compete at the top level - Rafa would no longer have to settle for his second/third targets.

Sorry, but it was under the previous regime that Rafa didn't get his main targets, and a lot of that was his own doing.

So far we've had two transfer windows under G&H and Rafa has got every player he wanted, no more no less.

Guest Romano Polizia
Ya see this is what I really dont get, why is it fans are allowed to express doubts over Rafa, but the Yanks arent ? Wouldnt it be worse if they didn't have some concernts ? There isnt one LFC fan I know who doesnt have some concerns over Rafas methods. We also dont want a repeat of the Moores, or perception around Moores, that he became to close to certain managers to give them the boot when they required it.

Id say the consensus of opinion at the moment is that Rafa has to sort out some fundamental issues of his methodology to be succesfull in the league, but that he has demonstrated that he deserves another year at least. And that is the postion, we musnt let rumours of horrible Yanks cloud our judgement on Rafa. When and if the Yanks sack Rafa, when and if it seems correct, we can debate. But given the amount of discussion on here about Rafa and his perceived weaknesses, its mad (in a nice way) to be hanging the Yanks on the basis of rumoured discontent at Rafas performance.

WHatever we think of HIcks, I cant say I disagreed with his assesment of the United game "The Players didnt look like they were mentally up for it" (or words to that efffect). Could you argue with that ?

That's a great post.

I'm not convinced that Rafa is the man to lead us to the title, but I really couldn't give a shit about what the Yanks think - I just want them out. They have continually lied about the financing package & have backtracked on their plans for the new stadium. Our club has become a soap opera under their regime & I don't trust them one bit. We will continue to fall further behind under their stewardship. The ownership of the club is more of an issue for me than rotation, zonal marking etc

I said in one of the other threads that Jurgen could may well end up at Bayern. It would appear to me the Liverpool job was used as leverage for him to get the Bayern job.

O'Neill and Mourinho now the front runners apparently. Would O'Neill leave the perfect American owner for two shite one?

Exactly - you've got feel sorry for the likes of Abramovich and Levy, hounded by the media into sacking managers they so dearly wanted to hold onto. And look at the England job - we all wanted McLaren to stay on and build on the success of the Euro 2008 campaign, and then the media drove him out.

Personally, I've never forgiven them for starting World War II and assasinating Kennedy.

Class!

Guest Romano Polizia
I'm not convinced that Rafa is the man to lead us to the title, but I really couldn't give a shit about what the Yanks think - I just want them out. They have continually lied about the financing package & have backtracked on their plans for the new stadium. Our club has become a soap opera under their regime & I don't trust them one bit. We will continue to fall further behind under their stewardship. The ownership of the club is more of an issue for me than rotation, zonal marking etc

You don't like much of anything do you, mate?

They haven't lied about anything, and the stadium design had to be scaled down due to spiraling costs, amid a global credit squeeze. Wouldn't want them putting us into debt that that we couldn't handle would we?

The only reason the club is a soap opera at the moment is because of media speculation, nothing more.

Sorry, but it was under the previous regime that Rafa didn't get his main targets, and a lot of that was his own doing.

So far we've had two transfer windows under G&H and Rafa has got every player he wanted, no more no less.

Explain the first point.

Mascherano.

They haven't lied about anything, and the stadium design had to be scaled down due to spiraling costs, amid a global credit squeeze. Wouldn't want them putting us into debt that that we couldn't handle would we?

The only reason the club is a soap opera at the moment is because of media speculation, nothing more.

The stadium was always going to put us into debt That's not the problem, them wanting to use the clubs money to pay off the loans they took out to buy it is.

Guest Romano Polizia
Explain the first point.

Mascherano.

We've got him on a two year loan deal and are working hard to sign him, apparently. Rafa is confident that we will, that'll do me, even though I think 17 million is too much when there are more urgent position that need strengthening.

I said yesterday that I believe the problem is MSI not any lack of backing.

I like my club to be run professionally. If Hicks and Gillette haven't got the funds or the means to purchase the club & a new stadium without leveraging the debt against the club (as promised) then they shouldn't have put their name in the frame.

The media speculation is down to the Yanks. They have created this and have stood back.

Remind who broke the whole onwers/Rafa storm please. Whose article was it that prompted the march?

Er, Rafa, at teh press conference, followed by Bascombe. And isnt it true that Bascombe was barred from the Yanks press conf, as he knew too much and that him being shuned effectivley seemed to call an end to his Echo inside stories on LFC as he was no frozen out ? No chance he had an axe to grind and that those sources he used to have are now equally disenchanted ?

Of course he may be right, I don't know, you don't know only those close to Hicks and Gillet know. I dont think Bascombes a liar, but I question wether his sources are the correct ones, since the vital sources required now are american and not liverpoudlian.

As ever with these stories its probably got about 20% of truth in it and 80% horse shit. I'd believe David Icke before I believed that odius slug Maddock or anything he writes.

I always find it funny in occaisons like this where people are offering up alternatives to the current manager. Yes he's made decisions that baffle me and some of his signings have been disappointments. However unlike many other managers he's prepared to admit his mistakes and get rid should a player fall short after being given enough time to prove themselves. As AlanGreen says what is the alternative?

Mourinho - he is the enemy of football and I wouldnt step foot in Anfield again whilst he was in charge.

O'Neill - Seems a decent guy and a great motivator but what has he won?

Who else? Jol? Allardyce? Ottmar?

Lets not forget Rafa has won us the fucking European Cup and nearly won us a 2nd. Again I re-iterate he's won more trophies in his first 3 seasons than any other manager currently in the Prem has done in the first 3 years of their reign. Would I trust him with £50m? Kuyt apart when he's spent big he's spent well. Sure the jury is still out on Babel but Torres, Xabi, Reina (big fee for a keeper), Agger (big fee for a Centre Half - for us anyway).

Guest Romano Polizia
I like my club to be run professionally. If Hicks and Gillette haven't got the funds or the means to purchase the club & a new stadium without leveraging the debt against the club (as promised) then they shouldn't have put their name in the frame.

The media speculation is down to the Yanks. They have created this and have stood back.

The media speculation started with Rafa's PC, and then the News of the World blowing what was just a disagreement over transfers out of all proportion.

If Rafa had said nothing it would have blown over. But it was Rafa who wanted it out in the open as he knows he has the trust of the fans.

I've also read somewhere that they are now looking to refinance the loan and not load the club with debt. I'll find it now.