You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ryan Babel - A possibility.........

Slimmy

Is not as if we have signed some bum nuts to come in to the squad is it?

Heinze IF he comes will be our starting left back in most games, Torres is our No.1 forward and Benayoun and Babel will be in the vast majority of games for me. The way you carry on you'd think we had just signed them for the sake of it and just to get numbers in, its quality on a scale we havent seen in every signing for a long time.

Torres is one of the best forwards available to us, and Babel is one of the most highly rated youngsters in Europe. Its not as if we have signed Jeffers and Downing is it.

I still think there will be more signings anyway.

I dont dissagree with you anyway

However a fit kewell starts ahead of Babel everytime for me but a fit kewell would be challenging a player like Quaresma anyway. I just wish we had bought players for the first team like we have with Torres.

Whatever happens I am very happy about next season

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Players we could buy or could have bought include

Simao (wouldnt sign him myself)

Quaresma

Malouda (target lost)

Mancini

Silva

Alves

Even with Benayoun were haggling over 1m quid, Chelsea and Manu dont deal this way, they dont lose players over small ammounts of money and dont let it get into the press until the deal is more or less done

Sales have bought in

Cisse 6m

Bellamy 8m

Pongolle & Gonzalez 5m

Garcia 4m

Zenden - zero

So we stand at a zero spend more or less and it looks like we'll end up with a net spend of 15m if were lucky so maybe the count was right afterall

You were mildly amusing but you are rapidly becoming as irritating as Rashid. And you are using his trick of posting things that are patently gubbins in order to back up your ever more ludicrous posts.

I dont dissagree with you anyway

However a fit kewell starts ahead of Babel everytime for me but a fit kewell would be challenging a player like Quaresma anyway. I just wish we had bought players for the first team like we have with Torres.

Whatever happens I am very happy about next season

how do you know babel wont start most games, its entirely possible rafa doesn't want to over exert kewell.

I get the impression that if Babel joins it wont be to sit on the bench an he will play regularly if not every week. His agent hints as much in the interviews with him. from what he says I think this will be a deciding factor as to whether he joins or not. so those who are concerned he wont impact on a first team and will just be a squad player im not so sure.

Babel's agent Winnie Haatrecht has issued a note of caution as he considered any possible impact a move may have on the winger's career.

"The route is very clear," said Haatrecht. "First Liverpool and Ajax need to get an agreement about a transfer, that's step one.

"After that we want to know what the technical staff of Liverpool has planned for Ryan.

"The sporting perspective must be totally clear. Only then can Ryan make a good choice.

"Of course Liverpool is a great club. But it must not be that he needs to fight with eight strikers for two positions. We must also look at the development of Ryan."

how do you know babel wont start most games, its entirely possible rafa doesn't want to over exert kewell.

Thats my thinking. I can see babel starting most games with Kewell coming on as a late sub, I really dont think Harry can stay fit for a full season anymore and I doubt that Rafa is thinking he can. Babel will be first choice.

"After that we want to know what the technical staff of Liverpool has planned for Ryan.

"The sporting perspective must be totally clear. Only then can Ryan make a good choice.

"Of course Liverpool is a great club. But it must not be that he needs to fight with eight strikers for two positions. We must also look at the development of Ryan."

I am sure Rafa's going to love that one

As you say this transfer might have a little further to travel.

Cant see Rafa giving the player the assurances he wants

He'll have to be happy that you have to fight for you place on the left but my first choice is always injured

If Babel signs I hope he will be a superstar but I have my doubts

If Rafa wants him then we'll all have to back his judgement no matter what are personal thoughts are

What are your doubts RN?

The lad appears to have a host of impressive admirers, why are you in a fret?

Why does everybody get all worked up over who should start... Being wide players they are injury prone and their form and confidence will change over the course of a season, and that is why it is so important to have several options in these positions... I would love to see Harry dance all over Chelsea (like in the FA semi at Old Toilet) one week, and see Babel run riot over Neville the next week....

I get the impression that if Babel joins it wont be to sit on the bench an he will play regularly if not every week. His agent hints as much in the interviews with him. from what he says I think this will be a deciding factor as to whether he joins or not. so those who are concerned he wont impact on a first team and will just be a squad player im not so sure.

Babel's agent Winnie Haatrecht has issued a note of caution as he considered any possible impact a move may have on the winger's career.

"The route is very clear," said Haatrecht. "First Liverpool and Ajax need to get an agreement about a transfer, that's step one.

I saw an interview with Alex Ferguson yesterday and he said that Nani and Anderson (who have both cost more than Babel will) won't be regulars this season. He said they will play in games but not all of them, but in time they will be regulars. That's pretty much how I see the situation with babel, I don't think he will be first choice immediately but he will play in lots of games, especially at home. Eventually, be it in 1 season or 2 or 3 he could become a first choice player.

I'm in a minority here of want babel over quaresma as the latter looks very lightweight with lots of tricks and flicks but to be fair ronaldo looked the same when he first arrived.

babel on the other hand is raw power and pace and not a little bit of skill, he definately has the potential to become world class. definately!

I saw an interview with Alex Ferguson yesterday and he said that Nani and Anderson (who have both cost more than Babel will) won't be regulars this season. He said they will play in games but not all of them, but in time they will be regulars. That's pretty much how I see the situation with babel, I don't think he will be first choice immediately but he will play in lots of games, especially at home. Eventually, be it in 1 season or 2 or 3 he could become a first choice player.

nani and anderson have to force their way past ronaldo, rooney and tevez, babel has to force his way past kewell and torres isn't going to play every game so babel can also be used as the striker with pace.

Is not as if we have signed some bum nuts to come in to the squad is it?

Heinze IF he comes will be our starting left back in most games, Torres is our No.1 forward and Benayoun and Babel will be in the vast majority of games for me. The way you carry on you'd think we had just signed them for the sake of it and just to get numbers in, its quality on a scale we havent seen in every signing for a long time.

Torres is one of the best forwards available to us, and Babel is one of the most highly rated youngsters in Europe. Its not as if we have signed Jeffers and Downing is it.

I still think there will be more signings anyway.

I really hope that doesn't turn out to be true.

And will everyone stop going on about Heinze, it just aint going to happen, there's no way demento would sell him to us.

I don't think our left side is that bad to begin with. Last season we suffered from a horrific run of injuries.

We lost Kewell, Aurelio and Garcia to long term injuries. Gonzalez got hurt a few times as well. We also sold Warnock right before a period where we could actually have used him.

If we bring in the left back that many people are speculating we will, and Babel and with a fit Harry and Aurelio, then I think our left side is more than covered.

I agree Babel being Dutch along with his physical and technical attributes should settle before either of Nani and Anderson. Rafa isnt going to be spending £10M+ on a player to sit on a bench when he's desperately needed on the park. I would equate Lucas' situation more with Anderson and Nan because it will take him a while to get used this kind of footballi

Exactly but not what you want when your in a tough game at stamford bridge or old trafford

It is. I'd want cover. Spend shitloads on one player and you dont have it. Now spend a fair bit on more players better than the other squad members you have and there you have a league challenging team.

Maybe you'll start to like babel once he's signed like you did with Torres. miaaaoowww

I don't think our left side is that bad to begin with. Last season we suffered from a horrific run of injuries.

We lost Kewell, Aurelio and Garcia to long term injuries. Gonzalez got hurt a few times as well. We also sold Warnock right before a period where we could actually have used him.

If we bring in the left back that many people are speculating we will, and Babel and with a fit Harry and Aurelio, then I think our left side is more than covered.

And what are the ods of that happening for the majority of the season? Slim to none i'd say.

Bottom line for me is this, i'm delighted were bringing Babel in as apparently he has the potential to become a world class talent.

But to bring him in at the expense of a world class winger, who could go straight into the first team is a mistake in my opinion, and may well rule us out of a title challenge.

Riise Leto Kewell Babel Aurelio Insua - all can cover left wing.

To have half decent cover is not enough at this stage. We need world class performances from LW and of the 6 players you mention it is only Kewell who can provide that (if he is as sharp and fit as we hope).