You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Arsenal match thread

The Bugged Out

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoyed George Gillett's answer before the game. He was asked what would he be saying to Rafa Benitez tomorrow when they meet. He answered that he wanted to hear what Rafa would be saying to him. In other words he wasn't going to tell Rafa how it was going to be, but find out what Rafa needed to make Liverpool more successful. George comes over really well in interviews with excellent answers.

That was very, very comfortable and The Arse were well and truly put in their places. I did worry when Ljungberg and Rosicky came on as both are a goal threat, and when we took Gonzalez off I thought Eboué would be able to do more damage down that flank. However, apart from five minutes prior to their goal, they were shite (Adebayor excepted). The Chief showed some real class, Pennant was very effective and the full-backs were good. However, it was all about the big man today. He's easily our best striker.

You know, I think we saw Rafa's preferred system at its best today. The 4-2-3-1 with Alonso and Mascherano holding, both of them solid defensive midfielders who can pass the ball, Gerrard in the advanced central role coming forward in support of Crouch who the ball just sticks to like flypaper, and a two-pronged attack with wingers and fullbacks down each flank. We were awesome in that shape, controlled the game while still attacking very fluidly, and actually suffered a bit when we switched to the more standard 4-4-2 when Kuyt came on for Gerrard.

Today were brilliant. A bit sloppy for 20 minutes in the second, but the goals were simply breathtaking.

Gonzales improved with the game. A bit hit and miss, but he managed to whip quite a few dangerous crosses in. And today I felt he used his pace to better effect than I have seen earlier.

Aurelio was simply brilliant, and got better and better. There`s no doubt the man can play, and hopefully he will stay fit for more than two games in a row.

Mascherano was very good in the first. Won the ball effectively and used it well. Tired a bit during the second, and struggled during Arsenals good spell. But an encouraging performance.

Arbeloa was also a bit hit and miss. What he did well, he did very well, but a bit rusty now and then. But very good for only his second match in the premier league.

Crouch was simply breathtaking, and even without the goals his movement and first touch was first class. His best ever performance by a mile in the Liverpool jersey.

Pennant was also very good. His crossing was good and his work rate and aggression was first class. He has now performed very well both against Arsenal and Chelsea, so the ability is there. Hopefully he will get his head sorted, and perform like this on a consistent basis. If he does he may prove me and others wrong.

A very good performance and the confidence it provides will be valuable for the difficult match on tuesday.

Most enjoyable game to watch for ages - some real goal threat at last. Good to see Rafa shuffling the pack and the players bought in grab the opportunity. Today really did show what effective flank play can add.

Really pleased to see Fabio 'The Only Brazilian who Can't Play Footaball' Aurelio showing what he can do; and Peter 'Can't Head A Ball' Crouch showing why we need to keep him.

Great to see the confidence and positivity in the squad - looking forward to a great finish to the season. Viva La Rafalucion ! Viva Comandante Crouchinho !

So some questions raised from today's perfomance and team selection

1 How much was todays team selection made with Tuesday in mind

2 What does today's perfomance mean for players such as Bellamy, Kuyt, Finnan & Momo

I think Tuesday's team selection might clarify a few of those points

I wonder if subbing Gonzalez early means he'll be starting against PSV? As we all know their right back doesn't have too much pace and Gonzo can be useful on counter attacks.

About Arbeloa I think he was ok. Not too good but he set Crouch up for the first goal. Still I think he gave up too much space and most of the Arsenal chances came from his side.