You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

University applications advice

Karl_b

Just writing a personal statement to sumbit alongside a small collection of my work for post-grad application.

Just wondered if anybody had any advice?

Pffft - University of life me son. No one gave me nothin. I had to fight and scrap class prejudice to get where I am. No old boys network for me. Meritoricracy not privilege.

*adjusts Che Guevera type beret FREEDOM FOR TOOTING

Good luck by the way.

i had to do this with a cv the other week. Left it with. I'm a top bloke who like music, footie, birds, a bit of telly, TLW, trying different beers and if there's sport on I'm not far away.

where you going anyway. If it was me I'd pick a quality of life place, maybe even abroad

Tell the truth but don't under sell yourself. Try to focus on what you can do, what you want to do and how you would like to do it. In essence, you're telling them why they should choose you. I've no experience but that's the angle I would take if it was my own application.

Yeah thats pretty much what I've done. I'm quite confident in my ability so have no problems selling myself (some call it arrogance, I don't) and I've also set out to flatter them a bit. I thought if I tell them why they are so good and why I would benefit them then I should be ok.

If I stay in Sheffield I can keep on at work part-time which would be a massive bonus. I can't afford not to work so I may as well keep on in a job that's relevant to what I'm studying. The uni is also very good and I lvoe the city, really hoping I get in there, although I'm wary of counting my chickens.

Tell the truth but don't under sell yourself. Try to focus on what you can do, what you want to do and how you would like to do it. In essence, you're telling them why they should choose you. I've no experience but that's the angle I would take if it was my own application.

I agree with Dirk here.

sell yourself, tell the truth, expand on extra activities your into, don't think it is all about academic achievement, they want students who can be social and fit into the university environment.

When I applied and went through UCAS in 96, I was never going to get in a decent uni on just educational attainment. Luckily I had a v.good reference from a tutor and that also goes a hell of a long way.

Choose your reference carefully!!!

Hey Karl, I'm a postgrad student in Imperial College and I would say, personally, that the referees' letters are the most important. If your referee knows you well (and recommends you of course) then his letter is going to be a lot less impersonal and distant. Of course good grades in your undergrad helps too heh.

Well I have two referees who are writing my letters, tutor from under-grad and my current boss. Both like me (I think) and know me well, good under-grad grades so fingers crossed.

I've beefed the thing up with some images of my work and hope that does some good too.

Well I have two referees who are writing my letters, tutor from under-grad and my current boss. Both like me (I think) and know me well, good under-grad grades so fingers crossed.

I've beefed the thing up with some images of my work and hope that does some good too.

Looks good, good luck for the apps and keep us posted on how it goes.