You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Am I an alcoholic?

Guest the gambler

Guest the gambler

What is the definition of an alcoholic anyway? I've spent a bit much time on (and, occasionally, off) barstools recently. Does that mean I'm an alkie? Should I be watching my intake?

How much do you guys drink anyway?

There's a number of signs that would indicate alcoholism as opposed to being a bit of a lad who likes his fair share oif drink:

Do you lie about your drinking?

Do you have blackouts and not know what you've done in drink?

Does it affect your ability to work properly?

Does it cause difficulties with you and your family members?

Are you getting into financial trouble because of alcohol?

Do you drink when it's dangerous to drink e.g. drink and drive?

Do you drink excessive amounts frequently?

Do you crave a drink and drink to get drunk?

Do you struggle to to control your drinking once started?

Have you been in trouble because of drinking?

You don't need to have answered all of them to have a problem.

My fiancee is a doctor and medically 90% of drinkers would be considered alcoholics as there is a set definition of units, I prefer AAs definition that you are an alcoholic when the drinking affects your family life and your work life.

I don't think I am an alcho but there is always beer in the fridge and I would have a few quiet ones in the house during the week, and I go out most weekends and get pissed.

There's a number of signs that would indicate alcoholism as opposed to being a bit of a lad who likes his fair share oif drink:

Do you lie about your drinking?

Do you have blackouts and not know what you've done in drink?

Does it affect your ability to work properly?

Does it cause difficulties with you and your family members?

Are you getting into financial trouble because of alcohol?

Do you drink when it's dangerous to drink e.g. drink and drive?

Do you drink excessive amounts frequently?

Do you crave a drink and drink to get drunk?

Do you struggle to to control your drinking once started?

Have you been in trouble because of drinking?

You don't need to have answered all of them to have a problem.

I could probably answer yes to a few of those. But I am a bit of a dizzy twat! And I like a beer. So is being a fucking useless alcoholic the same as just being a normal alchy?

Do you drink to get drunk?

Der!

I don't anymore - I can't handle the hangovers. Since, roughly, the age of 30, my hangovers have been hellish - puking, agonising headaches, bad dehydration and insomnia. When I was in my teens, I could easily do ten pints in and more, and be up early the next day feeling, if not quite fresh as a daisy, then certainly OK. Aging, huh? Who needs it?

We always have beer and wine in the house, but I very rarely have more than two bottles of beer or half a bottle of wine in an evening. If I have any more, it affects my sleep and I'll also feel it the next day. I drink because I like the taste, and the feeling of (mild) intoxication. I tend to drink only at the weekends during term time, but over the summer I've had a drink on more days than not - but I've still probably stayed around, if not quite under, the recommended number of units per week.

I do reckon that loads of people have problems with alcohol, though. Because it is not only socially acceptable, but socially desirable to drink, people believe their habits are fine. Have you ever been out with a group of lads and just asked for a soft drink when the bevvies are slipping down nicely for them? Someone always asks why you're not drinking - like there has to be a reason; like it's weird not to. Weird to decide not to put a chemical poison into your body? If that isn't the biggest indictment of society's attitude to booze, then I don't know what is.

What is the definition of an alcoholic anyway? I've spent a bit much time on (and, occasionally, off) barstools recently. Does that mean I'm an alkie? Should I be watching my intake?

How much do you guys drink anyway?

If you find that the booze if effecting

you health

you family relationships

your work life (too much)

your personal relationships

your finances

in a negative way then maybe you need to check how much your boozin. Also does it stop you doing (hangover / money) other things you like to do.