You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Klopp: Stepping down at the end of the season

dandyman

Obviously devastating news. I'm 40 and he's the best manager I've ever seen at our club, and it's not really close.

Weird timing as well with it being in the middle of the season. And we have no real sporting director or whatever you wanna call it that would recruit the next guy. Not great.

Sounds like he's just goosed, fair play - God speed Jurgen.

If you ask me, ‘Will you ever work as a manager again?’ I would say now no. But I don’t know obviously how that will feel because I never had the situation. What I know definitely – I will never, ever manage a different club in England than Liverpool, 100 per cent. That’s not possible. My love for this club, my respect for the people is too big. I couldn’t. I couldn’t for a second think about it. There’s no chance. This is part of my life, we are part of the family, we feel home here. There’s no chance to do that. But all the rest, will I ever work again? Of course, I know myself, I cannot just sit around. I will find something else maybe to do. But I will not manage a club or a country at least for a year, that’s not possible, I cannot do that and I don’t want to. That’s all.

• Upvote 4

Don't be sad he is going, be happy we have had him.

He has transformed our football club and given us the one thing we all wanted more than anything and who knows what he may deliver yet before he goes.

Thanks for everything, Jurgen - you made even the biggest doubters believers and you gave us our pride back.

• Upvote 28

Bear in mind he stepped away from Dortmund and was supposed to have a full sabbatical before he came here. He's had no time off. The pressure was telling on him last season.

How many of our managers in the last 50 years have left with their physical and mental health intact? 

• Upvote 3

This is fucking shit. 

I dont care but announcing this now is a fucking shambles. Announce it when we fucking win the fucking lot. Not now. 

I dont care if a journo found out- It shouldnt have even come out of Klopps mouth until then. fuck fuck fuck. 

actually devastated 

2 minutes ago, Fowlers God said:

This is fucking shit. 

I dont care but announcing this now is a fucking shambles. Announce it when we fucking win the fucking lot. Not now. 

I dont care if a journo found out- It shouldnt have even come out of Klopps mouth until then. fuck fuck fuck. 

actually devastated 

It's hard to know if it's good to know now or at the end of the season. Pros and cons. I'd prefer to know as we can make the absolute best of him and also the fans &, players can use it to help us in the last few months of the season. 

• Upvote 1

He'll take a year off (18 months max) and then manage Germany. International coaching is a lot less stressful, and he'll have massive leeway with the German supporters, as their NT is ridiculously bad by their lofty standards atm. A really exciting project for him to restore.

All the best to him, whan an incredible person and manager he is. Says a lot about him that he wouldn't consider leaving us on a low, but waited to he was sure that we would be ok in terms of on-the-pitch staff.

Fully on the Xabi bandwagon. His football brain is second to none, and hopefully he can be surrounded by capable enough understudies to keep our momentum going. Will be rightly pissed if they even consider Gerrard, he'll ruin us within months.

• Upvote 3