You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Arsenal (A) - Sun 9th Oct 2022 (4:30pm)

Trumo

In recent years, games against Arsenal have usually seen their approach totally overpowered by our set-up and intensity. That’s not to say they’ve not had their moments during games, especially at the Emirates, as they have had spells where they’ve put us under the cosh and we’ve ridden our luck a little bit. Much of the difference has come from them having a combination of talented but flaky players, plus talented players prone to brain farts.

This season so far has seen Arsenal fly out of the traps in the Premier League, and actually look like one of the top 2 teams. The flaky ones have shown more consistency and resilience, and the prone-to-brain-farts ones have largely cut out the brain farts. Arsenal have pretty much shorn their squad of the high-earning layabouts and put in their place players that are hungry to improve.

Our issues have been well-documented, with the team looking as inconsistent as in Jurgen’s early days. Key players out of form and a decimated midfield has meant that Jurgen’s usually approach has seen the team be to open and susceptible to the counter. The game against Rangers saw us tweak things and, standard of opposition aside, we looked better for it. That needs to continue here, so what is needed in order to do so?

Heart. Organisation. Offensive strength. Freedom of expression.

I don’t ask for much.

Two seasons ago, we’d gone through a spell of poor results and a lack of options in a key part of the pitch. That lack of options had hampered the effectiveness of other parts of the team, and the result was us having to scratch and claw to hang on to what was then a remote chance of making the top 4. We changed tack, put in round pegs in round holes (even if those pegs lacked the quality of those they’d come in for) and gradually found our groove. We still weren’t brilliant but we were no longer looking so impotent or disorganised.

April 2021 saw us travel to the Emirates, and Diogo was the key to the 3-0 result we came away with. He was brought on with the score still at 0-0, and only moments later bulleted a header into the net from a peach of a cross from Trent down the right. Mo raced onto a Hendo pass, rode the clumsy challenge of Arsenal’s Gabriel (who’d made a right mess of dealing with the situation even though he had a head start on the Egyptian) and casually passed the passed the ball right-footed into the net through the legs of Bernd Leno. Diogo grabbed his second of the night when we won the ball back in the Arsenal half. Mo found space on the right edge of the area and played a pass into Sadio in the middle. Sadio let the ball roll across him with the intent of turning his marker and shooting at goal. The ball got away from him but Diogo was on hand to race in and fire the loose ball into the net. Bobby hadn’t scored in this one but was excellent with his link-up play throughout, and Curtis had looked lively starting alongside the captain and Milly. We looked like a side that should be at least challenging for the league.

3rd April 2021 saw Godzilla vs. Kong atop the box office. Plenty of CGI, plenty of spectacle, and absolutely no interest from me. I bet those people who love watching Youtube clips of centipedes taking on wasps inside a glass tank to the sounds of lions roaring came inside their pants at the thought of two fictional icons going head to head. Bollocks to the logistics of how they end up doing so.

3rd April 2021 saw Egypt stage the Pharaoh’s Golden Parade where the mummified remains of 22 kings and queens of Ancient Egypt were moved from Cairo’s central Tahrir Square to the National Museum of Egyptian Civilisation in Fustat, near Old Cairo. The mummies were encased in nitrogen-filled cases and transported in funeral vehicles designed to look like the old boats that criss-crossed the Nile. A pretty spectacular way to celebrate the country’s rich history, even though the public were not allowed to line the parade route.

4C3DF330-F5F2-40FD-9F3B-F953C7D7F8DA.png

The Arsenal game is a chance for the team to start picking up points in the league and close the gap on the leaders. While it’s still early days, we are also sitting on half as many points as they have, so we need to get our skates on.

Jurgen’s probably got more to ponder with whom to start up front. Darwin needs rhythm and goals because his time here has been very stop-start. Bobby is looking more potent in front of goal than we’ve seen since around 2019, and both he and Diogo have a habit of doing well against Arsenal. Then again, so does Mo, and he will have been pleased to be back amongst the goals even if it was from the penalty spot in midweek. Lucho has looked our most dynamic forward this season. It’s midfield and at full back where Jurgen needs to decide whether to stay with the midweek 4-2-3-1 that saw Trent play more as an orthodox right back. Whatever the formation and set-up, not conceding the first goal and not being easy to pass through has to be a priority. I keep saying it, but we have the tools to get the job done. It’s all about the right attitude, focus and application to actually go ahead and do it. We know we can. Let’s show we can.

• Upvote 9

It is early Oct and we are in must win territory here.

A lot of people seem to write Arsenal off and treat them with some disdain - but fact is they are 11 pts ahead of us (albeit we have a game in hand) 14 pts ahead would be IMO not far off irreversible and that with the reasonable assumption we are not finishing ahead of the oil cheats would leave us looking at being in a fight for 2 places in top 4.

Man City next after this too.....

Two wins from the next two league games could really change our fortunes. We’re a better side than arsenal though they have improved as we can all see.

Shrewd investment on players such as Gabriel and Zinchenko have really helped them. I just hope we can show our quality and experience and prove to all that we aren’t finished and have several gears to move into.

A rude awakening for Arsenal is what we want to see.

I'm not massively confident about this; actually, I'm sort of resigned to a defeat. Then again, it always seems that when we're most clearly set up to lose, that's when everything clicks and we get a huge win. Something like that would be nice.

Just get these beat, Reds.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I'm not massively confident about this; actually, I'm sort of resigned to a defeat. Then again, it always seems that when we're most clearly set up to lose, that's when everything clicks and we get a huge win. Something like that would be nice.

Just get these beat, Reds.

That’s true, I fear a 5-0 loss myself but we tend to pull it out the bag when the heat is really on. That was the old us though. This new formation is the way forward, but our forward players will need to drop deep to help out.

• Upvote 1

They look strong based on results but when you look at them they still have Ramsdale, White and Xhaka in there. Arsenal have long been the side you would choose to play when you badly needed a result. Sunday will show if that's still the case, Jota with the match ball under his arm will say it is.

I think our defence is too ropey for this at the moment. Those last five minutes against Rangers showed the formation isn't the problem, the defenders are. Trent & Van Dijk have been absolutely wretched all season & I don't think that'll change anytime soon.

Our only hope here is scoring more than they do because they will almost certainly score one or two at least. I'd start Nunez but I think Klopp will go with Firmino.

12 hours ago, Creator Supreme said:

Much as he's a know nothing cunt, I think Chris Sutton is spot on with his prediction on  the BBC website, 4-1 to the arse!

Loved him as a player for Celtic but he's an arse of a pundit. 

This will be tough, a lot tougher against them than I can remember in a good while. Unless we can start Skrtel then I reckon we will nick a draw. 

As much as I've banged the Nunez drum, I'm not sure he will start this. I'd got with Diaz, Jota and Mo. Midfield of Thiago, Fab and Henderson. 

1 hour ago, No2 said:

They look strong based on results but when you look at them they still have Ramsdale, White and Xhaka in there. Arsenal have long been the side you would choose to play when you badly needed a result. Sunday will show if that's still the case, Jota with the match ball under his arm will say it is.

They also lost to United,like we did. I dont think a good team should be losing to this United team. We were injury hit and out of form while Arsenal were supposed to be flying at the time. 

They are a good unit. No doubt about that. To win at Emirates we need to be at our top level or close to it. Didn`t watch their game Yesterday but I guess it was an easy win with a few rested players. Martinelli and Saka needs to be kept real quiet, quite an ask for our fullbacks given their form this season. Not looking forward to this game. It`ll be a worldwind from them in the first 15-20 mins.

I didn’t have a good feeling about this but it’s veering on disrespectful how many people are acting as if Arsenal are going to annihilate us this weekend. 

I have a sneaky feeling* this weekend is the emergence of Darwin. Nunez hat trick would be so fucking perfect to shut these insufferable cunts up.

*boundless hope and optimism

• Upvote 3

If we keep the same formation and team as Tuesday night then feeling pretty confident ahead of this one.

Our problem to-date seems to have been caused by a lack of intensity and some of our midfielders being asked to cover loads of space. 

The team on Tuesday night were compact with the 4 at the back and the two holding and so the likes of Thiago, Hendo, Virgil and Trent were asked to operate (and protect) much smaller areas. However we still offered a threat going forward due to the pace and intensity of Diogo, Darwin and Diaz and perhaps to a slightly lesser extent Mo. I thought we actually had a lovely balance. 

Ok, Rangers aren't Arsenal but they only had a sniff when Bobby, Fab and Milly came on and that was probably a result of them not having much intensity, coming on late in the game and generally not being in the best of form. 

Yes we scored two from set pieces but, on the basis that they only had one training session, the interchanging of the forwards was really promising and with a whole week on the training ground that could really be something. 

Arsenal didnt look all that clever at the back Vs Spurs and I could see the interchanging of our front 4 and the speed and intelligent running of Nunez giving them an absolute nightmare. 

Maybe if they have read the hype and  are super confident they will really come on to us. If we are focused from the 1st min like we were Vs Rangers then them doing that could really help us and see us win well. 

Come on You Red Men!!!