You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

35 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

He prints money with the Dodgers. He will wait for clubs to own their broadcasting rights for his roi.

The point is that we have been conditioned to believe that spending £500m on transfers is not sustainable and is only done by the sportswashers. 

Now we are seeing it done by a group that will only be allowing it if they think that it will be exceeded by roi. They are not a group of billionaire Jack Walker philanthropists who just want Chelsea to win, whatever the personal cost to them.

36 minutes ago, Harrison Booth said:

I'm not talking about the club, 20 games watching 1 player is absolutely fine to make a judgement on. I'm talking about us, none of us have seen enough of him to a make a decision one way or the other. Personally I think there is too much noise about Caicedo, if we were interested we would hear about it only after the clubs have agreed a fee.

Frankly if Jürgen is won over by a player then I will back them completely. If he thinks he is only worth £40m tops and tells them to walk away then no issue with that either. 

I just struggle to watch that current midfield, believe that Klopp doesn't see the issues (and has probably before we did) and that there are not 1 or 2 players available now that he wants to bring in to improve it. 

13 minutes ago, HBenn said:

The point is that we have been conditioned to believe that spending £500m on transfers is not sustainable and is only done by the sportswashers. 

Now we are seeing it done by a group that will only be allowing it if they think that it will be exceeded by roi. They are not a group of billionaire Jack Walker philanthropists who just want Chelsea to win, whatever the personal cost to them.

Not sure anyone ever has spent 500 mil in a window.

If by we you mean LFC fans - we have known from the beginning that the FSG model was to be a self sustaining entity - which is the polar opposite of a time based roi strategy. 

I have no idea what Boehly's goals in London are but I doubt they are confined to a football club.

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Not sure anyone ever has spent 500 mil in a window.

If by we you mean LFC fans - we have known from the beginning that the FSG model was to be a self sustaining entity - which is the polar opposite of a time based roi strategy. 

I have no idea what Boehly's goals in London are but I doubt they are confined to a football club.

I never said it was over 1 window but it does look like it could be over 1 calendar year. We would be told that only sportswashers could do that with the inference being we would be fucked if we did.

The justification that is usually used for the self sustainable model revolve around owners that care about the long term future of the club and so don't spend huge sums of money as it would be reckless for the long term viability of the club. 

These guys clearly think they can do it and bring in enough revenue to offset it. 

If we maintain our rigid self sustainable model in the short term, it may well be a lot worse for the long term future of the club. Drop out of the CL and the revenues etc that support the club reduce and so does its ability to get back in the top 4. 

5 minutes ago, HBenn said:

I never said it was over 1 window but it does look like it could be over 1 calendar year. We would be told that only sportswashers could do that with the inference being we would be fucked if we did.

The justification that is usually used for the self sustainable model revolve around owners that care about the long term future of the club and so don't spend huge sums of money as it would be reckless for the long term viability of the club. 

These guys clearly think they can do it and bring in enough revenue to offset it. 

We have just agreed that is not what they thinking. 

We can't do it - regardless of whether or not we would be fucked.

My guess is the largest annual would have to be Barca when they bought Coutinho. They are now broke.

8 minutes ago, Morning Glory said:

Joyce says we’re done in January now, even 24 hours before we are actually in January. Mind boggling.  Does anyone at the club have a fucking scooby what a mess our midfield is? Did tonight not enlighten them? FSG sure know how to rile a fan base. C&nts. 

We don’t have to be in January to have finished all our spending for January but it isn’t January. 

1 minute ago, an tha said:

Joyce knows fuck all

I would like to think it's the club sending a message to Brighton or whoever that they are not desperate for a midfielder so that prices are not ludicrous. Especially after tonight's walkathon from the midfield 3. 

However I hear Klopp's comments and FSG's past form for being extremely stupid and taking unbelievable risks to avoid spending money and think its very likely we are done. 

Ironically, the only thing that may change that is if we get injuries and the reality is, with us picking up 2-3 injuries a game, that is extremely likely to happen. However probably not before the last week of the window. Wonder who will be brought in this time.

If it is true, could well explain Ward going. What a shambles it would be. 

One potentially other important point is that Bellingham cited that ambition was one of the main aspects he was looking at. Will be hard to convince him we have any ambition if we really don't invest in midfield in Jan. 

I think some folks have got the don't spend any money line from certain stories that became gospel - ie net spend of 0 since Klopp has been here. Who cares?

Over the last 5 years we have a net of just under 300 mil - so @ 60 mil a year. Pretty much what every one was asking for 5 years ago.

Is that enough to compete with a couple oil states, a big dick swinger and United's cash machine? Probably not.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, HBenn said:

I would like to think it's the club sending a message to Brighton or whoever that they are not desperate for a midfielder so that prices are not ludicrous. Especially after tonight's walkathon from the midfield 3. 

However I hear Klopp's comments and FSG's past form for being extremely stupid and taking unbelievable risks to avoid spending money and think its very likely we are done. 

Ironically, the only thing that may change that is if we get injuries and the reality is, with us picking up 2-3 injuries a game, that is extremely likely to happen. However probably not before the last week of the window. Wonder who will be brought in this time.

If it is true, could well explain Ward going. What a shambles it would be. 

One potentially other important point is that Bellingham cited that ambition was one of the main aspects he was looking at. Will be hard to convince him we have any ambition if we really don't invest in midfield in Jan. 

I find it incomprehensible that we wouldn't be buying a midfielder in January.

Klopp and his staff are not daft, they can see and with a more expert eye what we can all see.

I fully expect us to sign a midfielder in Jan followed by at least one more in the summer.

IMHO anything less would be negligent.

• Upvote 1

Just now, an tha said:

Klopp and his staff are not daft, they can see and with a more expert eye what we can all see.

I fully expect us to sign a midfielder in Jan followed by at least one more in the summer.

I don't disagree with you but unfortunately Joyce said the same in the summer and we ended up not signing anyone, as incredulous as it was then. 

It could be a negotiating ploy, it could have been one in the summer. I just wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you. These guys have proven they will do anything they can to avoid spending. Bloody hell they didn't want to buy a centre half when we virtually had none, why would they buy when we have 12 midfielders? Even if we all know they are a mixture of injury prone, past it or slow (or all 3). 

1 minute ago, HBenn said:

I don't disagree with you but unfortunately Joyce said the same in the summer and we ended up not signing anyone, as incredulous as it was then. 

It could be a negotiating ploy, it could have been one in the summer. I just wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you. These guys have proven they will do anything they can to avoid spending. Bloody hell they didn't want to buy a centre half when we virtually had none, why would they buy when we have 12 midfielders? Even if we all know they are a mixture of injury prone, past it or slow (or all 3). 

Aye....some stuff there it is hard to argue with.

If we do nothing in Jan there is going to need to be some serious turnover in the Summer then.

My own view is without midfield improvements we are really touch and go for Top 4 and lets say we miss out  - what happens to the transfer budget for next season then?.....Not to mention being less attractive to players because they want European Cup footy.

It is some gamble not starting the desperately needed and overdue rebuild now.

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I could see a move for a lesser midfielder now and waiting. By lesser I mean 30-35 mil.

If Kone really is what is advertised - a more skillful Bissouma - that exactly fits what we need short term.

picard makes it so - Imgflip

I would be ok with that. From what I have seen of him he looks like someone with great potential and he would go a long way to addressing our issues. 

I just wonder even then if it would be enough. 

The midfield looks knackered and we have barely started our marathon run of games. Best case scenario they are not match fit, worst case by the end of the month we will be playing Bobby Clark and Bajcetic each week. 

I really expected that the owners would invest to mitigate risk of not missing CL. Hopefully they will and it's a negotiation ploy but I think I am just going to assume they won't for my own sanity. 

6 minutes ago, an tha said:

Aye....some stuff there it is hard to argue with.

If we do nothing in Jan there is going to need to be some serious turnover in the Summer then.

My own view is without midfield improvements we are really touch and go for Top 4 and lets say we miss out  - what happens to the transfer budget for next season then?.....Not to mention being less attractive to players because they want European Cup footy.

It is some gamble not starting the desperately needed and overdue rebuild now.

Best case if we don't invest is because the owners have sold and don't want to put any more money in that they cannot recover. 

Jurgen has said that he doesn't want players in that are bothered about 1 season out of the CL but that sounds quite a tough sell to me. Say we are in for Bellingham and Real are too. Bellingham says he is looking for ambition, how can he look at us and be convinced we are am ambitious while saying no to playing in a midfield the polar opposite to ours? That is before you get onto the likes of Utd, Newcastle and Arsenal being more attractive than us.

If the owners are not prepared to invest now and we miss CL then they will just turn around in the summer and say "sorry, cannot afford it now". They will have already lost the additional value being in the CL is worth to their asset value so what incentive will they have to invest? The fans will probably be delirious when they say Jürgen's job is safe inspite of us not getting CL. 

Hopefully someway, somehow we can still find a way to navigate the fixtures, build momentum and get top 4.

14 minutes ago, HBenn said:

Best case if we don't invest is because the owners have sold and don't want to put any more money in that they cannot recover. 

Jurgen has said that he doesn't want players in that are bothered about 1 season out of the CL but that sounds quite a tough sell to me. Say we are in for Bellingham and Real are too. Bellingham says he is looking for ambition, how can he look at us and be convinced we are am ambitious while saying no to playing in a midfield the polar opposite to ours? That is before you get onto the likes of Utd, Newcastle and Arsenal being more attractive than us.

If the owners are not prepared to invest now and we miss CL then they will just turn around in the summer and say "sorry, cannot afford it now". They will have already lost the additional value being in the CL is worth to their asset value so what incentive will they have to invest? The fans will probably be delirious when they say Jürgen's job is safe inspite of us not getting CL. 

Hopefully someway, somehow we can still find a way to navigate the fixtures, build momentum and get top 4.

The club is very much at a crossroads IMO.

Some very big decisions to come in the very near future that see us either maintain a seat at the top table or see us slide back to mediocrity.

4 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Missing the CL for a year does not affect that in the least. See United.

We only know what Utd want to sell it for, not what bidders are saying. 

Personally I don't see how a buyer wouldn't look at it and expect to pay less. 

If we are out and say Newcastle, Arsenal, Man City and Chelsea are in then it's already harder to get players here instead of there so the risk goes up. We also don't know how the sponsorship agreements are impacted. It could be majorly impacted. 

Let's say your right though. What incentive would they have to invest in the summer if CL qualification has very little impact and a sale is on the horizon? 

1 hour ago, an tha said:

I would like to see a midfielder brought in January and Bellingham before next season. Not sure I trust FSG to do that.

6 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

I think some folks have got the don't spend any money line from certain stories that became gospel - ie net spend of 0 since Klopp has been here. Who cares?

Over the last 5 years we have a net of just under 300 mil - so @ 60 mil a year. Pretty much what every one was asking for 5 years ago.

Is that enough to compete with a couple oil states, a big dick swinger and United's cash machine? Probably not.

That will be massively skewed by £200m in the last year on 3 forwards.

That is great but it's the 3 summers and buying 1-2 long term first team players where the problem is. 

The investment has been pushed down the road over and over again and based on Jürgen's comments we now cannot afford to invest in the 2-3 players we need all at once. 

2 summers ago we could have attracted any player we wanted. They may well not be able to say that in the summer. 

Hopefully it will.