You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Where we need to improve

33 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

We need to be braver in not playing him as well which will play into him being sharper for longer.

I know the Afcon played into it last season but their were times when he'd have benefitted from not playing (perhaps not even being on the bench) although I accept the lack of direct replacement makes all of that difficult.

Salah does seem to tail off a little in seasons. I don't have stats on this , it's just how it feels. He's got December off this year though, so I think this could be his best season ever. 

2 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Salah does seem to tail off a little in seasons. I don't have stats on this , it's just how it feels. He's got December off this year though, so I think this could be his best season ever. 

Since we signed him in 2017-2018 

2017/2018 - Second highest number of appearances with 52 (Firmino top with 54)

2018/2019 - Highest number of appearances with 52

2019/2020 - Fifth highest number of appearances with 48 (Firmino top with 52)

2020/2021 - Joint highest number of appearances with 51 (Shared with Gini)

2021/2022 - Fourth highest number of appearances with 51 (Henderson top with 57)*

*mid-season Afcon year

So he's averaged 50.8 games a season over the past 5 years excluding internationals, goal scoring wise I can't find something that let's you look at a glance so would have to dig into it to sum it up but my assumption would be the same as this season and the goals tail off (not necessarily to the same degree).

Part of it will be his reluctance to come off the pitch in pursuit of individual goals but when we're 3-0 up in the 60th minute get him off the pitch instead of having him chase down goalkeepers in the 94th minute of a game that's well won like we did with Suarez.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Since we signed him in 2017-2018 

2017/2018 - Second highest number of appearances with 52 (Firmino top with 54)

2018/2019 - Highest number of appearances with 52

2019/2020 - Fifth highest number of appearances with 48 (Firmino top with 52)

2020/2021 - Joint highest number of appearances with 51 (Shared with Gini)

2021/2022 - Fourth highest number of appearances with 51 (Henderson top with 57)*

*mid-season Afcon year

So he's averaged 50.8 games a season over the past 5 years excluding internationals, goal scoring wise I can't find something that let's you look at a glance so would have to dig into it to sum it up but my assumption would be the same as this season and the goals tail off (not necessarily to the same degree).

Part of it will be his reluctance to come off the pitch in pursuit of individual goals but when we're 3-0 up in the 60th minute get him off the pitch instead of having him chase down goalkeepers in the 94th minute of a game that's well won like we did with Suarez.

In terms of his performances, I used to wonder if he tailed off once he got to the point of the season where it was getting closer to personal or team prizes. But it was only this season when he got back from afcon that I thought it was when he gets tired, his 1st touch and that little movement and push off he does when recieving the ball when facing goal is just a little off. I don't think it looks obvious, but the margins are so small, it's just enough to change him from world beater to just an absolutely top premier League forward. 

And again, it might be my mind, but he's scored a bunch of those wonder goals where he dribbles past half a team in the box and slots it, but again in my memory they seem to be first half of the season. That might be my memory, I don't have anything to back it up, it's just how it feels. 

If it is a thing, it would be great if we can find a way to keep him sharper into the tail of the season. It might not be for this season because of the WC, but I'd be prepared to give him 2 weeks off around the 1/4 final of the fa cup. As you mention, managing his minutes through the season might be the answer. 

9 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

That's how Ferguson did it.

The way football is these days, those players like Salah, Henderson, vvd who pretty much play every game if they're available, i would find a way to get them out for 2 weeks. Not just rest 1 game, but a clear 14 days without games and at least 7 days of holiday. 

Although we did massively manage Henderson's minutes per game last season and it seemed to at least keep him fit (I thought his form was poor from about Christmas to Easter). Perhaps that's how we will do it with more players, although I'm not certain it improved Henderson's performance levels. 

Yeah I guess Klopp's concern would be players losing rhythm, we seem (again no numbers to back it up) to be really disjointed after a prolonged break but if you're only doing that for certain players then it's probably easier than trying to get a whole team up to speed.

• Upvote 1

If this thread is specific to recruitment there is probably plenty of theories on tactics and strategy on the same subject. In games where we're struggling the same patterns of play keep on coming out, ultimately culminating in Hendo slow crossing/floating in from 45 yards out giving defenders plenty of time or even the keeper to fist one out (oo-err).