Quantcast
The New Leader of the Labour Party - Page 48 - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Numero Veinticinco

The New Leader of the Labour Party

Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

 

I think ethnicity goes a bit deeper than a few cultural elements. In the case of the ethnic Jew, you are talking about a large tribe of people who are biologically related to each other. Are Spanish Catholics and Irish Catholics a single biological unit? I think not.

 

 

Complete codswallop. But you're comparing apples and oranges. Catholicism is an ideology, just like Toryism is an ideology. If we can have a dig at Tories, then we can have a dig at religious groups.


If you replace Catholic with Shia Muslim, "so you don't expect any better", it would be a bit inappropriate, no?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SasaS said:

If you replace Catholic with Shia Muslim, "so you don't expect any better", it would be a bit inappropriate, no?

 

I don't know much about Shia Islam, certainly not enough to know whether you can make valid generalisations about their beliefs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

 

If you want to make valid criticisms or elementary observations of Jewish religious groups, don't let me stop you. There is a massive gulf between that and invocation of racist tropes, although as you can see there are some here who wouldn't understand nuance if you carved the word NUANCE into a baseball bat and smashed them around the head with it.

So you are saying the difference between race & religion is subtle? You know where you can shove that bat don't you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

 

I don't know much about Shia Islam, certainly not enough to know whether you can make valid generalisations about their beliefs.

Thats not what he asked 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

 

If you want to make valid criticisms or elementary observations of Jewish religious groups, don't let me stop you. There is a massive gulf between that and invocation of racist tropes, although as you can see there are some here who wouldn't understand nuance if you carved the word NUANCE into a baseball bat and smashed them around the head with it.

May I recommend 'ƎƆИAUИ'. EDIT: Wait... ИUAИƆƎ

 

I dunno. Try both.

 

EDIT 2: Honestly, I've no idea if that even makes sense now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Thats not what he asked 

 

I made a valid observation about Catholic beliefs, but I don't know enough about Shia Islam to know if I could make a similar observation about their beliefs. So I don't know what your problem is. 

 

2 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

May I recommend 'ƎƆИAUИ'?

 

This must be Russian for NUANCE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

 

I made a valid observation about Catholic beliefs, but I don't know enough about Shia Islam to know if I could make a similar observation about their beliefs. So I don't know what your problem is. 

 

 

This must be Russian for NUANCE.

A valid observation? Wow.  Elaborate. 

 

You didn't answer his question. He didn't ask for an opinion on Shia Islam. He asked if you saying what you said but replacing Catholic with Shia Islam would be seen as inappropriate. I can see why you have tried to swerve it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Both.

 

As a non-practicing Christian certainly there are "ethnic" elements in my life that would be equal to any Jewish "ethnic" elements in a non practicing Jews life right?

 

I mean I love Easter -- do all that stuff - who doesn't color Easter eggs?

Christmas is a great time too - we cook the Seven Fishes and sing carols.


The Florida branch of The Boston Celtics!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Anubis said:


The Florida branch of The Boston Celtics!

Splitters!!!! 

 

 

I love the Boston Celtics 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

 

She's a Catholic, so you don't really expect any better, but I'm sure she'll come in for just as much criticism on here as Tim Farron did for his non-homophobic views...

I don’t see what’s wrong with this. Catholic’s are massively against abortion. I mean, the pope wanks on about it almost as often as he wanks off kids.  And that’s pretty often. 
 

older readers will remember catholic aid agencies threatening to stop all aid to Yugoslavia if the women held in rape camps were offered abortions. Then covering up the systematic rape of children and enslavement of women.  Cunts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"He has never worked a day in his life"

 

"He is an Orthodox Jew so you don't really expect any better"

 

If that conversation happened on this forum SD would go fucking ballistic. 

 

As I have said, I actually agree with the sentiment. The Catholic stance on many things especially abortion is disgraceful. Thats not the issue here though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Roman Catholicism must be the baddest form of religion ever. Hopefully one day people will be as proud to announce that they are Catholics as they would be to admit to having Gary Glitter records or having met Jimmy Saville.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, A Red said:

Roman Catholicism must be the baddest form of religion ever. Hopefully one day people will be as proud to announce that they are Catholics as they would be to admit to having Gary Glitter records or having met Jimmy Saville.

Yet Protestants have probably murdered and pillaged more people than any religion in the world. 

 

Michelle was talking about you when she told her band camp story about where she stuck her flute wasn't she mate 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Yet Protestants have probably murdered and pillaged more people than any religion in the world. 

 

Michelle was talking about you when she told her band camp story about where she stuck her flute wasn't she mate 

I dont know where you get those ideas from, oh yeah, what aboutery.

 

You want a united Ireland, if the Roman Catholic church had fucked off you'd have had it years ago.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, moof said:

So it’s suddenly become acceptable to smear people based on their religion? This is a fun new development. Great times. 

Smearing the roman catholic church not roman catholics

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, A Red said:

I dont know where you get those ideas from, oh yeah, what aboutery.

 

You want a united Ireland, if the Roman Catholic church had fucked off you'd have had it years ago.

 

 

Well lets start with the crusades, we can also talk about the holocaust. I could go on and on and on. But yeah "what aboutery" 

 

I can't stand the Roman Catholic church. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

"He has never worked a day in his life"

 

"He is an Orthodox Jew so you don't really expect any better"

 

If that conversation happened on this forum SD would go fucking ballistic. 

 

Erm, no. That's demonstrably untrue. Exhibit A:
 

On 17/11/2019 at 18:16, Strontium Dog™ said:

Ultra-Orthodox Jews are religious zealots, so yes, they are nutters who think there is one rule for them and another for everyone else.

 

Ideology, belief, opinions, politics etc - these are all valid targets for criticism.

 

Heritage, race, ethnicity etc - these are off-limits.

 

This really is devastatingly simple.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Yet Protestants have probably murdered and pillaged more people than any religion in the world. 

 

Michelle was talking about you when she told her band camp story about where she stuck her flute wasn't she mate 

I don’t think that’s right.  They’ve only been around a few hundred years, others have a few centuries head start. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

I don’t think that’s right.  They’ve only been around a few hundred years, others have a few centuries head start. 

I said probably. No-one can know exactly anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Well lets start with the crusades, we can also talk about the holocaust. I could go on and on and on. But yeah "what aboutery" 

 

I can't stand the Roman Catholic church. 

The crusades were organised by the Roman Catholic church and Hitler was a roman catholic, go on, go on and on.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×