You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2020 Transfer Thread

Anubis

1 minute ago, redheart said:

£100m + and we can improve it

Why would you be so sure? Every signing is a risk and breaking up the squad for the sake of it will be a risk. I'm not saying it's not one we won't take, I think if the player wants to go and a club meets our valuation, they'll go, but I don't think we should be forcing the issue. There's every possibility any of the 3 might want to go this summer and not just for sporting reasons, but if they're all happy, we should sit tight and try to develop our own replacements quietly - hopefully minamino and elliot are the start of that process. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, magicrat said:

I think we should let Klopp make that call. I'm not for breaking up a winning team unless players have itchy feet

I think winning teams generally do evolve. But you're absolutely right, Klopp is in charge of that - no matter if we 'let him;' or not, we don't have a say, just an opinion on what should happen. Fortunately for us, Klopp seems to have an idea about what to do. 

1 hour ago, Jose Jones said:

We’re going to keep them all for the next few years and win absolutely fucking everything.

Sorry.

Haha.

I think long term, we have a choice to make. If we keep them close till the end of their contracts, assuming they are all still motivated to stay, we probably have a greater chance at winning trophies in the next few years, but we would then face a pretty big rebuild. And Klopp intimated that this is a reason he extended till 2024, to assure the next manager will have an easier time, so maybe that's what we want to do. 

Or, we can jump start on a rebuild next summer, sell one of them, replace him with a 100m+ player and then continue to gradually sell the other two on in the next few summers. This would only happen if we win the league, and even then if we do, I think we'd try to keep them all for one more season and try to win it again, and then think of the rebuild. 

• Upvote 1

I can see Salah wanting to leave at some point and it could even be this summer if/when we win the league. He just strikes me as someone who wants to reach the "pinnacle" of playing for Madrid or Barca. Sadio i'm less worried about for some reason but it's obviously hard to predict.

There's no doubt that we retain a strong interest in Mbappé, whether realistic or not, so that would be obviously be a fucking stellar replacement if we lose Mo or Sadio. Sancho is always talked about but i'm not sure if he's on the same level (need to see more of him in any case).

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Brownie said:

I can see Salah wanting to leave at some point and it could even be this summer if/when we win the league. He just strikes me as someone who wants to reach the "pinnacle" of playing for Madrid or Barca. Sadio i'm less worried about for some reason but it's obviously hard to predict.

There's no doubt that we retain a strong interest in Mbappé, whether realistic or not, so that would be obviously be a fucking stellar replacement if we lose Mo or Sadio. Sancho is always talked about but i'm not sure if he's on the same level (need to see more of him in any case).

There's a lot of doubt that we have any interest in mbappe since his wages and the knock on effect they would have, would bankrupt the club. 

Only way Mbappe is even remotely possible is if the ubs got a deal with Nike paying him a massive chunk a year as part of any kit deal. Nike would rather him be with us than Real. 

I've always seen it as a no go a d think most fans do. The whole Mbappe 20 thing just feels like a laugh with most fans

17 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Only way Mbappe is even remotely possible is if the ubs got a deal with Nike paying him a massive chunk a year as part of any kit deal. Nike would rather him be with us than Real. 

I've always seen it as a no go a d think most fans do. The whole Mbappe 20 thing just feels like a laugh with most fans

I think the Nike deal and the phenomenal success of the last couple of years give it a bit of foundation. Still, I wouldn’t be swapping him for any of our current front three. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, cloggypop said:

Venlo is shite though. It's got a great little record shop, an Irish pub and loads of wank coffee shops full of Germans. 

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

According to The Athletic, Liverpool are monitoring Emiliano Buendia progress ahead of a potential summer swoop, with Buendia’s teammate Jamal Lewis also said to be on the Reds’ radar.

Wasn't there a tenuous link with Jamal Lewis in the summer window as back up at left back? Perhaps we are actually looking at him as back up. 

6 minutes ago, Mcfaggen said:

giphy.gif

Wasn't there a tenuous link with Jamal Lewis in the summer window as back up at left back? Perhaps we are actually looking at him as back up. 

If Norwich get relegated, this could be part of the carcass strip.