You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Manchester United (h) Sat 14 Oct 12.30pm - Esse Quam Videri

Gym Beglin

Manuel Neuer?

Do you know where you are? This is the David De Gea Adoration thread.

Apparently some think I have said, or more accurately, written, that the Spanish guy is a bad goalkeeper. Of course I never wrote that. I merely opined that he is one of many goalies in our game that is as capable of fucking up as he is performing well. 

My original post was about his 'wonder' save from Matip yesterday. The one he made with his foot from a shot that was hit at him in area where he should be getting some part of his anatomy to the ball anyway. Some even opined that Mignolet couldn't have made such a save, an opinion that is absolute bullshit. Stick a foot out, the ball hits it and you're Gordon Banks. Make a two handed save from an approaching striker who, up till yesterday, was scoring freely and  that is not even worthy of comment.

I'm not at all sure that I have seen an absolutely stand out keeper who could truly be called 'the best in the world' since perhaps Casillas or the other cunt who played for United, Schmeichel. Again, though, such labels are part of the inflated language of football and I hesitate to use them.

Neuer is as good a shout as any, but I've seen him make some terrible fuck ups too.

Anyway, that's my opinion. It's the only one that matters to me.

The best thing about it, is that he manages to cushion the ball straight to Jones for the clearance. Knowing the speed of the shot and the reactions it took to pull off any kind of save, that's remarkable.

That's why he's the best, because he's not just thinking about the save itself, but what happens afterwards.

De Gea is brilliant, it was a great save. But to suggest he not only saved it but thought of actually cushioning a pass to Jones is one of the most bizarre statements I've ever read on here. He saved it, it could have gone anywhere, it fell to Jones standing a yard away.

Do you know where you are? This is the David De Gea Adoration thread.

Apparently some think I have said, or more accurately, written, that the Spanish guy is a bad goalkeeper. Of course I never wrote that. I merely opined that he is one of many goalies in our game that is as capable of fucking up as he is performing well. 

My original post was about his 'wonder' save from Matip yesterday. The one he made with his foot from a shot that was hit at him in area where he should be getting some part of his anatomy to the ball anyway. Some even opined that Mignolet couldn't have made such a save, an opinion that is absolute bullshit. Stick a foot out, the ball hits it and you're Gordon Banks. Make a two handed save from an approaching striker who, up till yesterday, was scoring freely and  that is not even worthy of comment.

I'm not at all sure that I have seen an absolutely stand out keeper who could truly be called 'the best in the world' since perhaps Casillas or the other cunt who played for United, Schmeichel. Again, though, such labels are part of the inflated language of football and I hesitate to use them.

Neuer is as good a shout as any, but I've seen him make some terrible fuck ups too.

Anyway, that's my opinion. It's the only one that matters to me.

I agree pretty much word for word, especially about the save yesterday.  I've seen saves like that in six-a-side Power League.  Stick a foot out is right.

Gary Neville went nuts about it and now it's better than the Banks save. 

If I was able to pick one keeper for us it would be Neuer based on what I've seen, what he's won and the general accolades he gets for his performances and all round game.  He seems like the ultimate when it comes to 1 v 1s and being a sweeper keeper.  

I agree pretty much word for word, especially about the save yesterday. I've seen saves like that in six-a-side Power League. Stick a foot out is right.

Gary Neville went nuts about it and now it's better than the Banks save.

If I was able to pick one keeper for us it would be Neuer based on what I've seen, what he's won and the general accolades he gets for his performances and all round game. He seems like the ultimate when it comes to 1 v 1s and being a sweeper keeper.

That's a fair assessment mate.

We would have trouble signing Cartman to play in nets.

Posters talking of Oblak - sheesh he plays in one of the top teams in the world.

Splitting hairs between De Gea and Neuer is bluelusional.

Both would retire before playing for us.

I know it's fantasy, that was the point of "if I could choose anyone". 

I don't think Oblak is out of reach, though.  Aim high.

I do not believe there is any player in Atletico's core team that would come to LFC - we would not pay enough to cover the drop in quality.

We signed Torres and the Mancs were after Griezmann.  It's possible to nab their players with good timing. 

Anyway, here's an opinion ranking Neuer as number one and De Gea at three, with future Liverpool boy Jan Oblak in between them in second spot.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2716942-ranking-the-best-goalkeepers-in-world-football

I didn't watch the game on Sky so I didn't hear Neville banging on about the save, and maybe if I had have done, I'd play it down as I hate him.

At the time I was cursing Matip as I thought it was a lousy shot straight at the keeper.  It wasn't.  It was actually curling away from him.

When you watch that gif posted by Shooter, you can see that the save is anything but routine as some have suggested.  It makes no sense that the foot he's about to spring from is so quickly adjusted to be elevated to save the ball.  A top save from a top keeper.

I wouldn't use it as a reason to have a pop at our own keeper, and he still looks like a scraggy stoner skaghead and I still hate him.

• Upvote 5

Think I've probably heard enough of De Gea now.

It's entirely our own fault we have a couple of jokers for keepers . We have had years to bring in a top player . Delusional talk about buying anyone from Athletico doesn't solve anything. Frankly the club has not been prepared to pay the price and the manager has been wrong to persevere with his young German recruit he took a punt on. Fuck knows how many points will have been squandered before they have to do what they should have done years ago and pay through the nose for a proper goalkeeper

• Downvote 1

I didn't watch the game on Sky so I didn't hear Neville banging on about the save, and maybe if I had have done, I'd play it down as I hate him.

At the time I was cursing Matip as I thought it was a lousy shot straight at the keeper.  It wasn't.  It was actually curling away from him.

When you watch that gif posted by Shooter, you can see that the save is anything but routine as some have suggested.  It makes no sense that the foot he's about to spring from is so quickly adjusted to be elevated to save the ball.  A top save from a top keeper.

I wouldn't use it as a reason to have a pop at our own keeper, and he still looks like a scraggy stoner skaghead and I still hate him.

I like Gary Neville but I think he has a tendency to get very carried away at certain points (no doubt egged on by his employers) and I see that save as one such occasion.  It was good but not great.

If that had gone in I would bet my left testicle that Neville would analyse it to the point where he would call it a "blunder".  "Why did he go with his feet?"  etc.