You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Inequality

AngryOfTuebrook

15 minutes ago, Strontium said:

How many companies with 2,000 employees are paying their CEO £3.8m?

The average FTSE 100 company pays a CEO salary of £3.91m (2022, most recent figures) and those 100 companies between them employ just under 4.9m people, which is an average of almost 49,000.

Super.

Pay an extra £100 a month to lowest paid 2,000.

25 minutes ago, Strontium said:

How many companies with 2,000 employees are paying their CEO £3.8m?

The average FTSE 100 company pays a CEO salary of £3.91m (2022, most recent figures) and those 100 companies between them employ just under 4.9m people, which is an average of almost 49,000.

whats the average salary of those companies?

2 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

whats the average salary of those companies?

Not a clue. It wasn't really relevant to my point.

Worth noting though that some of those employees will be overseas, which more than likely includes a hefty chunk of the 2,000 lowest paid.

10 minutes ago, Strontium said:

Worth noting though that some of those employees will be overseas, which more than likely includes a hefty chunk of the 2,000 lowest paid.

Also worth noting that the numbers there are just illustrative of the fact that there's still enough money for a more efficient and equitable distribution of salaries, even if you allow for the CEOs to be greedy Capitalist pigs paying themselves, say, 30-40 times the median wage.

109 times is beyond greedy: it's obscene.

15 minutes ago, Strontium said:

surely if the ceo of a company is getting paid something like 100 times the salary of your average joe punch clock,that was the entire point of the argument?

I thought the point was that docking the CEO £2.4m and dividing it between 49,000 people wouldn't make an iota of difference to those people.

But you'd have to ask someone who thinks it's wrong that someone gets paid the same for running a multi-billion pound company as Konstantinos Tsimikas does for kicking a ball around.

20 minutes ago, Strontium said:

I thought the point was that docking the CEO £2.4m and dividing it between 49,000 people wouldn't make an iota of difference to those people.

But you'd have to ask someone who thinks it's wrong that someone gets paid the same for running a multi-billion pound company as Konstantinos Tsimikas does for kicking a ball around.

You thought wrong.

The fact that footballers are also overpaid is beyond doubt and completely irrelevant.  Tsimikas doesn't (directly, at least) get paid off the back of other people's labour the way a CEO does. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, AngryOfTuebrook said:

You thought wrong.

The fact that footballers are also overpaid is beyond doubt and completely irrelevant.  Tsimikas doesn't (directly, at least) get paid off the back of other people's labour the way a CEO does. 

I think the issue here is you don't see what CEOs bring to the table that would make them worth as much as an average top flight sportsman. You don't think they're worth it, but the people who write their cheques do. In situations like this I would tend to defer to the people in possession of better information.

1 hour ago, Strontium said:

I think the issue here is you don't see what CEOs bring to the table that would make them worth as much as an average top flight sportsman. You don't think they're worth it, but the people who write their cheques do. In situations like this I would tend to defer to the people in possession of better information.

Cobblers.  I'm happy not to dumbly "defer" to whatever rich and powerful people claim about situations of obvious injustice.  I'd rather ask questions and find facts 

As I understand, CEO pay is often determined by remuneration committees which largely consist of other senior executives; rich cunts scratch each others' backs and line each others' pockets.

Or maybe I'm wrong and the quality of CEOs, relative to their workforce, has just improved massively in the last few years. If you've got any evidence of that, I'd love to hear it.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Cobblers.  I'm happy not to dumbly "defer" to whatever rich and powerful people claim about situations of obvious injustice.  I'd rather ask questions and find facts 

As I understand, CEO pay is often determined by remuneration committees which largely consist of other senior executives; rich cunts scratch each others' backs and line each others' pockets.

Or maybe I'm wrong and the quality of CEOs, relative to their workforce, has just improved massively in the last few years. If you've got any evidence of that, I'd love to hear it.

Who is Tony Danker? CBI boss sacked over misconduct claims | The Independent

45 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I'd rather ask questions and find facts 

45 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Welcome to AOT's TED talk.

3 hours ago, Strontium said:

I would benefit enormously from an extra 100 quid a week into my household,even between three of us. 

14 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

British gas profits gone from 72 million to 750 million. Is that true? People are scared to turn their heating on and this is the level of profiteering. If it is true its got to be near the time we start building guillotines.

Train leasing companies profits trebled, too.  Those CEOs are really earning their crust.

(Actually, in fairness to those CEOs, their only job is to generate profit; providing a decent public service is neither here nor there.)

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2024/feb/18/profits-of-uks-private-train-leasing-firms-treble-in-a-year

Just read that Tom Felton who played Draco Malfoy in the Harry Potter films made about 20 million quid yet his screen time across the entirety of the whole series of films is only 32 minutes. I mean I've no issue with it, people earning big money without doing anyone else bad is fair enough but jeez the notion that wealth is born of hard work when just as often it's luck, right time, right place with a slice of the right attitude. 

20 million for playing pretend when you were a kid.

There would have been a lot more than 32 minutes of rehearsal of course, though it still represents a massive return for limited investment of time and energy.

But then the reason the actors earned so much money on those movies is not because of an overwhelming input of effort on their part, but because the work they did made an enormous amount of money for their employer.

I think there is definitely a tendency to get stuck in old labour theories of value, the idea that the value of work is somehow proportional to the amount of work put in by the individual. The reality is more prosaic, work is simply worth whatever someone will pay you for it.

• Upvote 1