You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ketosis

How long were you on it? Was it definitely caused by the keto?

My issue is getting worse.

Took in 1128 calories yesterday with 158g protein and had a back and biceps day in the gym (didn't count calories burned).

Weighed myself this morning, and I'm 197lbs!

So despite eating around 1000 calories less than maintenance, staying in ketosis, and doing a session in the gym, I GAINED 2.2LBS!

Come on ta fuck like.

I've been down at the 180 mark not that long ago, but did the bollox over the few months around Christmas time and put everything back on again. I was doing pretty much the same then but without counting calories. I was in ketosis, and keeping my protein up with carbs down. That's all I monitored.

So I don't know what more I can do.

I'm in Ketosis.

I've reduced my calories.

I'm exercising more.

AND I'M CUNTING PUTTING ON WEIGHT!

Not eating enough and your metabolism is adapting, as with any unsustainable extreme diet.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Here's a hypothetical question for the learned.

Average maintenance calories for a man is ~2500 per day.

If you could put up with any hunger pains, and take multivitamins and fibre supplements to keep things moving internally, what could you expect to happen (besides puking!) if you skulled a 110g glass of extra virgin olive oil in the morning and evening?

That would equate to ~ 2000 calories per day, which is 3500 calorie per week below maintenance. That shouldn't lead to plateauing?

Also, seeing as keto is about high fat intake, would this not be going full keto?

Just letting the mind ramble in the office!

You'd die of malnutrition, surely. Why Specifically a heart attack cardie?

It was a joke....well kind of a joke becaue obviously you couldn't do it for a long time but if you did and malnutrition and other issues didn't get you a heart attack eventually would.

I like keto and when it worked for about 2/3 months I was in the best shape of my life. Strong and lean.

I found it not to be sustainable though. I mean, pizza? What's the fucking point in being alive without pizza, really?

Still, great for getting targets in the medium term IMO. I'll be back to it to shift stubborn fat in future no doubt.

• Upvote 1

I like keto and when it worked for about 2/3 months I was in the best shape of my life. Strong and lean.

I found it not to be sustainable though. I mean, pizza? What's the fucking point in being alive without pizza, really?

Still, great for getting targets in the medium term IMO. I'll be back to it to shift stubborn fat in future no doubt.

That's where "Carb Nite" comes in. Cheat day once a week for sanity.

• 4 months later...

Back on this again since Wednesday.

Wednesday was 75% fat, yesterday was 78%. Been taking MCT oil to bump up fat intake. Trace ketones showing this morning on the Ketostix, and the scales is down 4lbs with no exercise. Hoping to drop at least a stone over the next 5 weeks.

Lidl Pork Belly Strips are awesome!

Just read something there that might be of interest to people.

Turns out, us in Ireland/UK/Europe, already have the fibre subtracted from the total carbs on the nutritional information labels on the back of foodstuffs. So the carbs figure quoted is already the nett carbs.

Unless there are polyols, which are sugar alcohols used for sweetening. These are non-digestible carbs, so they can be substracted from the carb figure.

So if you were calculating nett carbs along along, and aiming for 40-50g nett carbs per day for ketosis, chances are you were missing your target.

A week in and exactly 8lbs down.

According to MyFitnessPal, my daily average has been:

Calories: 2186

Fat: 70%

Protein: 24%

Carbs: 6%

I was aiming for 75:25:5, so I'm happy enough. Main thing is keeping the carbs low. There's been no exercise with that.

I've been having bulletproof coffee in the mornings. I've never drank coffee before, so I've no frame of reference. This consists of:

2 teaspoons coffee

15ml MCT oil

30g unsalted butter.

Also purchased one of these bad boys from Argos to help blend things.http://www.argos.co.uk/product/9059289

According to MFP, that coffee has 600 calories made of 100% fat (69g). Considering I'm aiming for 140g fat per day, that's a good start.

Well on target to be down a stone before the start of December. Hopefully I'll be closer to 1.5.

I know nobody gives a shit, but fuck ye.

• Upvote 3

I have diabetes, was injecting insulin four times a day and had circulation issues with my legs. I switched to a ketogenic diet, lost 6 stones and now regulate my diabetes without any medication. It's rough at first but you end up with a much more consistent level of energy through the day. I test my blood sugar four times a day as well as test the ketosis levels. It's very noticeable that your blood sugar just flat lines, no peaks or troughs.

• Upvote 4

A week in and exactly 8lbs down.

According to MyFitnessPal, my daily average has been:

Calories: 2186

Fat: 70%

Protein: 24%

Carbs: 6%

I was aiming for 75:25:5, so I'm happy enough. Main thing is keeping the carbs low. There's been no exercise with that.

Not to be a pedant but that's 105%. What you have acheived are perfect macros.

EDIT: Going to do the keto thing again in jan/feb, and allow myself a guilt free holiday period.

Not to be a pedant but that's 105%. What you have acheived are perfect macros.

EDIT: Going to do the keto thing again in jan/feb, and allow myself a guilt free holiday period.

Yeah, realised it after I couldn't edit.

Was aiming for 70:25:5.

Weighed in at 205.8lbs yesterday morning. So that was down 9.2lbs over 11 days. Decided to have a Carb Nite last night, so ate very little all day to compensate. Didn't want to be eating 75% fat all day and throw a load of carbs on top of it!

Anyways, yesterday evening had a batter burger supper from the chippy, followed by some Haagen Dazs, followed by some Giant Buttons...all spread out over about 3 hours.

Woke up this morning, jumped on the scales, and I was at 208.8lbs! Up exactly 3lbs overnight! Fuck you carbs!

Back on the wagon again today. Eating mostly protein until this evening in the hope of exhausting the carbs during the day before throwing fat in on top. Have the kid's birthday party Sunday, and there'll be a few pints at that. So hardcore until then, and hopefully get down around the 200lbs mark.

Fat cunt.

• 2 months later...

Starting keto again today to shift the holiday luggage I'm still carrying around. Feeling pretty good about it so far as I forgot how good scrambled eggs were. And cooking everything in butter and cream. Even found some low carb tortilla wraps for making keto friendly pizzas. Obviously not as good as the real stuff but it'll be decent I'd say.

I'd love to do Ketosis, I've done low carb diet plenty of times but my problem is that I don't really like many foods, I had salmonella when I was about 10 and it ruined my, used to eat eggs all the time and I can't even look at them now. Don't really like veg either so I'm really limited on what I'd eat, so I only end up doing it for about a month and get sick of the same food.

Not being funny but i've never got i dont like...

How do people put all veg in one bracket. Fuck there are so many different ways to serve them up that completely change the way the foods tastes,before you even look at marinading something. Look at cauliflower for a start,not the most flavour packed veg but slice the head int 1/4 inch slices and roast it with a bit of butter/Coconut oil and some pepper,break up the florets and add a curry sauce,cut off th storks and blitz it in the blender as a alt to rice or cous cous,raw with humuos,steamed with lemon and butter and thats just one.

I need to keep my carbs down but could never do ketosis as a T1-diabetic. 

I dont think any diet is a great idea long term, IMO long term you are always far better just eating the cleanest diet you can(or can afford). I say afford as if your bringing up a big family on a tight budget and limited time means some cheaper packaged things are going to be needed. SHit i grew up eating plenty of oven shit and tins depending on money but we always got veg thrown are way(even if it was me raiding the local allotments one year). Ive recently stopped with the meat again and most diary products simply because of the amount of shite that gets fed to the animals that ends up in us,it also seems to be by far the best way of controlling my blood sugars.

Just eat the best fresh foods you can and leave out the unnatural shite as much as possible

If you dont like the taste of certain foods just disguise them in a good sauce.

My weight is heading the right way. Down 1lb or so a week. Eating no shitty carbs, just brown rice, wholemeal pitta bread etc. Training really heavy just on compounds lifts and cycling everywhere close by instead of driving. No effort involved at all just lifestyle changes. Piss easy.

Not being funny but i've never got i dont like...

How do people put all veg in one bracket. Fuck there are so many different ways to serve them up that completely change the way the foods tastes,before you even look at marinading something. Look at cauliflower for a start,not the most flavour packed veg but slice the head int 1/4 inch slices and roast it with a bit of butter/Coconut oil and some pepper,break up the florets and add a curry sauce,cut off th storks and blitz it in the blender as a alt to rice or cous cous,raw with humuos,steamed with lemon and butter and thats just one.

I need to keep my carbs down but could never do ketosis as a T1-diabetic.

I dont think any diet is a great idea long term, IMO long term you are always far better just eating the cleanest diet you can(or can afford). I say afford as if your bringing up a big family on a tight budget and limited time means some cheaper packaged things are going to be needed. SHit i grew up eating plenty of oven shit and tins depending on money but we always got veg thrown are way(even if it was me raiding the local allotments one year). Ive recently stopped with the meat again and most diary products simply because of the amount of shite that gets fed to the animals that ends up in us,it also seems to be by far the best way of controlling my blood sugars.

Just eat the best fresh foods you can and leave out the unnatural shite as much as possible

If you dont like the taste of certain foods just disguise them in a good sauce.

It's generally the texture with the veg mate. I don't know, I'm just really fussy when it comes to food, my mum reckons it all come from when I had salmonella, because before that I always ate fruit and veg and I loved eggs. Since then like I said I just can't eat it, maybe it's a psychological thing that I somehow need to change because I'd be way better off doing it. For the last few weeks I've been putting loads of veg in my blender and basically just downing it, the problem is it doesn't fill me up at all.

I don't particularly need to lose weight, I'm 14st 4 and I'm 6"1 I just need a healthier diet, I go to the gym 3 times a week and play 6 aside twice a week and a proper game on a Saturday so I'm pretty active also.