You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Happy to let Gomez make his mistakes at LFC?

neilpoole2005

Pretty well by all accounts. He's now the world's fourth best player, one behind Ronaldo and just ahead of Maguire. I think.

Lol. I didn’t think calling Neymar as arguably the best player in the in the world at the moment would be that controversial. He has been playing very well for a long time now. He’s currently the most expensive player of all time. He’s having a better season than Ronaldo and Messi. If the season finishes now, and they make a the assessment based on this season only, then he’d win Balon D’Or. At their best of course Messi and Ronaldo were better than Neymar, but not so far this season, is what I’m saying.

Gomez really surprised me yesterday, it's the first time I've seen him not look like a rookie.  He was composed, concentrated and took everything in his stride.  He looked like he'd been playing at that level for years not the little time he has.

It's amazing what a difference playing alongside merely mediocre goalkeepers and defenders can do for you.

Gomez really surprised me yesterday, it's the first time I've seen him not look like a rookie.  He was composed, concentrated and took everything in his stride.  He looked like he'd been playing at that level for years not the little time he has.

It's amazing what a difference playing alongside merely mediocre goalkeepers and defenders can do for you.

Mignolet and Karius would make the best defenders seem average . Lovren however doesn't have any excuse

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just move this chap to centre back already. He's abysmal going forward and quite strong defensively and Lovren is Lovren, win win.

Worse case scenario, he's as bad as Lovren and we still need two centre backs that we needed yesterday.

Why move him when he’s doing so well? He kept the £40m man Gylfi in his pocket with ease.

Why move him when he’s doing so well? He kept the £40m man Gylfi in his pocket with ease.

Good teams have full backs that can do something with the ball when teams double up on your dangerous wingers, today's set failed miserably.   You can expect that from a centre back playing full back tbf.

Good teams have full backs that can do something with the ball when teams double up on your dangerous wingers, today's set failed miserably. You can expect that from a centre back playing full back tbf.

Not always. Carra at LB for us under Ged wasn’t the best going forward. Abidal in the all-conquering Barca team was also average on the ball. He’ll move back to the bench whenever Clyne’s fit again anyway.

LIke ive said beore, if Clyne was fully fit he'd be playing at CB already. Don't think Klopp wants to play 2 young players in TAA and Gomez together right next to each other at the back just now.

Gomez will be starting CB next season alongside Van Dijk most likely.

It's the perfect opportunity to play TAA next to Gomez because the alternative is shite. Standards and expectations of our defenders aren't exactly high.

• Upvote 2

Gomez has been steadily improving all season. Attacking is not his strength, but imo still better than Clyne going forward. Expect him to be a CB long term, be exciting to follow his development. Far from ready to be a first choice CB yet tho, mainly because he’s too weak in the air.

So we still need at least one new CB, but maybe not two if Gomez keeps progressing.

Good teams have full backs that can do something with the ball when teams double up on your dangerous wingers, today's set failed miserably.   You can expect that from a centre back playing full back tbf.

I am assuming you meant to say you can't expect that from a CB (with respect to shutting down Gylfi) - more often than not CB's are exposed by wingers when playing on that flank. Also the truth is he is not any worse going forward than any of our other fullbacks - and is a 20 CB by trade. Put in at least a couple of very good first time balls, especially the one that Mane almost got to. He had a great game and was a presence all over the field. I would have him as the best defender on our books at this point and well above average on the ball.