You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Random musical chat.

Carvalho Diablo

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

Ah sorry didn't see it. Yeah years ago i used to have that weather report album in the link above. I remember my mate gave it to me when we were both youths trying to learn instruments. My mate was a bass player and loved Jaco Pistourius (spelling). We used to watch the videos of him playing, looking like an apache Indian with his shirt off. Boss. I saw that post you put up a while back about a doc about his life. I still haven’t seen it yet, but it was sad how you said his life turned out considering the amount of talent he possessed.

Great documentary that one.

Jaco Pastorius was mentally ill but didn't really get the help he needed & ended up a complete mess. Beaten to death by a bouncer as well.

I tend to prefer the earlier Weather Report stuff, before Jaco joined up. Wayne Shorter ended up being a side man in his own group to an extent, with Joe Zawinul and Jaco taking over.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Climbing Higher Mountains 

1 minute ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Climbing Higher Mountains 

I posted her singing that song live with Mick Jagger appearing at the back of the church further up thread. I see if I can post it again.

• Upvote 1

American band. Only made a record after their mother was told in a dream they were headed for stardom in the music industry. No one in the band could play a musical instrument. The instruments they did 'play' were out of tune and the songs had no discernable chord structures, the lyrics were abstract musings about subjects such as flying saucers and their pets. It was their one and only album and graces many 'worst album ever made' charts.

20230403_084747.jpg

Both Frank Zappa and Kurt Cobain were apparently big fans of the record, which is possibly the least surprising thing about this little story.

Just shy of a quarter of a century old this record., released summer 1998. Their only number 1. I think the spice girls kept Design for life off the top spot.

"The future teaches you to be alone, the present to be afraid and cold"

Studio version 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

Just shy of a quarter of a century old this record., released summer 1998. Their only number 1. I think the spice girls kept Design for life off the top spot.

"The future teaches you to be alone, the present to be afraid and cold"

Studio version 

Masses against the Classes was the first new number 1 of the new millennium.

2 hours ago, manwiththestick said:

Masses against the Classes was the first new number 1 of the new millennium.

Aw thanks. Well I didn't know that. They played the Millennium Stadium that new year, which is just across the water from the pub my ex girlfriend owned. Everyone went to that gig bar me, I was on babysitting duties , the only time I've babysat in my life. All the Welsh musicians of that time used to pop into the pub quite regularly. Great times. 

Imo they were by far the best band out of all that 90s britpop type era. 

Fuck it let's av another one.