You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Emre Can

WhiskeyJar

Can could be some player once he stops thinking he already is. Said it before now.

I really think this has something to do with it.

He has all the tools, the athleticism, the technique, the vision, but somehow the application is missing.  I do predict he'll put it together at some point - he is still quite young, after all, but he's not half the player he should be right now.

I was really hoping that with Henderson/Lallana/Wijnaldum emerging and him being dropped that it would kick him into gear mentally, but reading between the lines it seems like he's just put it down to his injury and that's it.  Hopefully he takes the approach Coutinho did when he came in and just gets his head down and puts in the work, and the success on the pitch will come.

• Upvote 1

Couldn't possibly be any less suited to playing as the deepest midfielder. 

Doesn't read the game very well, sloppy in possession, acceleration of an articulated lorry, frequently makes the wrong decision...

He played in a deeper role almost all of last season, albeit usually with a partner in a 4-2-3-1, and he was pretty decent. This performance says nothing about his suitability for that position but it says everything about his lack of professionalism. He looked fat and leggy despite the fact he hasn't played all that many games this season.

He's young and could figure it out but it looks like he's done a really poor job of getting ready for the season after the Euros this summer because he's looked largely terrible or unfit every time we've used him. 

Thought he was arguably our best player yesterday(not saying much of course) but I dont get the hate. He does have a tendency to start slowly and grow into a game and also has an eye for a goal. I do think he is a good player but still needs to improve a bit to guarantee a first team place regularly. A great talent for his age though,hard to believe he is still so young.

• Upvote 1

He looked more fatigued than just about everybody else on the pitch yesterday and made countless stupid mistakes.

A frustrating player, but relatively young and with some clear qualities.

A bigger problem for me is that Jurgen didn't believe that a fresh Lucas or Stewart would do a better job. Somebody like Sahin or Dahoud would have been great in that role yesterday.

Thought he was arguably our best player yesterday(not saying much of course) but I dont get the hate. He does have a tendency to start slowly and grow into a game and also has an eye for a goal. I do think he is a good player but still needs to improve a bit to guarantee a first team place regularly. A great talent for his age though,hard to believe he is still so young.

really?  I thought he gave the ball away a lot, switched off, and showed a lack of positional discipline right through the game.  

And I'm fairly sure he's not a great talent for his age.  Most PL teams have better.  The occasional flash in the pan moment doesn't cut the mustard.  We might as well have kept hold of Shelvey if we're content with that. 

really? I thought he gave the ball away a lot, switched off, and showed a lack of positional discipline right through the game.

And I'm fairly sure he's not a great talent for his age. Most PL teams have better. The occasional flash in the pan moment doesn't cut the mustard. We might as well have kept hold of Shelvey if we're content with that.

Its all about opinions. I thought we missed Henderson enormously.

Its all about opinions. I thought we missed Henderson enormously.

we shouldn't have done, because I don't rate him much either.  We just don't have anyone with legs and intelligence to sit at the base of midfield.  Can was all over the place yesterday, and not in a good way.  

we shouldn't have done, because I don't rate him much either.  We just don't have anyone with legs and intelligence to sit at the base of midfield.  Can was all over the place yesterday, and not in a good way.  

So true.

I know Klopp has had to fix the team in stages (much smarter than trying to bring in 8 new players his first summer) but it's still frustrating that we're probably going to miss out on the title because of this.  Add a dominant midfielder and a bit of depth up front and we're basically set.

Well, I guess you're never completely done tinkering, but that would leave us with much smaller nits to pick after those two problems were handled (maybe a top CB to partner Matip, or a backup LB, those sorts of things).

I'm not too concerned about the CB situation - even if Sakho goes this month, we seem to be ok there - we're not going to be able to bring anyone in markedly better than what we have already.  I'd like to see Moreno replaced with someone a little (actually quite a lot) smarter and with at least some ability with both feet.   I'd like to see us with a top class midfielder who can lead the team, set the pace of the game, and dictate the play.  

really? I thought he gave the ball away a lot, switched off, and showed a lack of positional discipline right through the game.

And I'm fairly sure he's not a great talent for his age. Most PL teams have better. The occasional flash in the pan moment doesn't cut the mustard. We might as well have kept hold of Shelvey if we're content with that.

You can tie that description to either Wijnaldum or Firmino in yesterday's game but people have already made their minds up.

They were all crap.

They were all absolutely knackered and without even vaguely familiar positional replacements on the bench.

Four wins and a draw from Boro, Everton, Stoke, Manchester City and Sunderland is a very good haul with what was effectively a squad of 12 or 13 players. We need to stop defining everything we do by Chelsea's current form.

• Upvote 2

You can tie that description to either Wijnaldum or Firmino in yesterday's game but people have already made their minds up.

you Can, but I'd be surprised if Can turns into the type of player that we can depend on to boss the midfield.  I thought those you mentioned were pretty dire too, and I harbour similar reservations there, though they have been more involved in our season than Can.

• Upvote 1

They were all absolutely knackered and without even vaguely familiar positional replacements on the bench.

Four wins and a draw from Boro, Everton, Stoke, Manchester City and Sunderland is a very good haul with what was effectively a squad of 12 or 13 players. We need to stop defining everything we do by Chelsea's current form.

Sensible post.

Each and every single one of us here would have jumped at the start of the season for the chance to be in the position we are in now.