You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Emre Can

WhiskeyJar

You take any 10 minute stretch of the game and compare his involvement to that of Wijnaldum and that's why I prefer him In the side. He's ALWAYS invovled.

A winner's mentality that most of our squad don't have, and the talent to boot. He just needs the consistency.

Wijnaldum is going back to his 'non eye catching but effective' role once again and I have no problem with this. I think that he was asked to play a bit deeper yesterday and I thought he did fine. Even Lucas did well enough,but maybe that can be chalked down to the 'quality' of the opposition?

BTW,how shit is that Robles in goal for the blueshite? Hilariously bad.

You take any 10 minute stretch of the game and compare his involvement to that of Wijnaldum and that's why I prefer him In the side. He's ALWAYS invovled.

I sort of agree with this, Can is involved in the game far more obviously. When he's good it's really obvious, just as obvious when he's bad. But Wijnaldum just runs and works and fills spaces and eventually starts really impacting the game.

Last 10 or 15 minutes yesterday he really started running things.

• Upvote 1

Or - mad idea - don't weaken our paper-thin squad, when we're hoping to play more matches next season.

Exactly. Why sell any of our current midfielders (except maybe Lucas)?. We're not exactly blessed with strength if depth so let's just try to keep hold of talented players and strengthen the squad.

Exactly. Why sell any of our current midfielders (except maybe Lucas)?. We're not exactly blessed with strength if depth so let's just try to keep hold of talented players and strengthen the squad.

I think Lucas will leave in the summer when his contract's up. Saw something about him agreeing a deal with Galatasary I think for next season.

Lucas gets a lot of stick from some and yes, he's had the odd poor game here and there but he doesnt complain publically.

Can was great yesterday, as he has been for the last month are so. Him and Lucas absolutely bossed the middle of the park, won everything in there. Right in the thick of it and drove the team forward on numerous occasions, and didn't lose his head when those cunts tried to injure him on multiple occasions.

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke

The lad has stepped up to the plate over the last 4 or 5 games. Had another good game today, well mostly second half. 

It's taken him 2/3 of a season to start looking like a footballer but he's off and running now. I don't think it's a coincidence either that he's playing his best football with Henderson out of the team. I don't think those two compliment each other well. 

It's taken him 2/3 of a season to start looking like a footballer but he's off and running now. I don't think it's a coincidence either that he's playing his best football with Henderson out of the team. I don't think those two compliment each other well.

Didn't it come out though that he's basically carried an injury most of the season. It would be explain his massive slump and why he was so slow on the ball.

He's been a revelation the past few months. If he can play at this level, consistently, he'll be an absolutely massive player for us.

People doubt his engine. I don't, I reckon his stamina and fitness are two of Can's biggest assets, just love seeing him get the ball and drive through the midfield and onto the opponents defence more and more as the game winds on.

• Upvote 2

People doubt his engine. I don't, I reckon his stamina and fitness are two of Can's biggest assets, just love seeing him get the ball and drive through the midfield and onto the opponents defence more and more as the game winds on.

It's a thing of beauty, alright. He does seem to get stronger as the game goes on. About 75/80 mins in today's game, he picked up the ball basically on the edge of our box and drove all the way through Stoke's midfield, to their box and layed it off to his right. Class.

Also gives the midfield some much needed steel and bollocks. Physically dominates teams on his own, at times.

It's not that they don't compliment each other, it's that Can is not an attacking midfielder. His body is not built for the demands of pressing and quick one touch football like Lallana, Gini, Coutinho and Firmino. He's built for the defensive midfield role, and that's where he excels.

Playing for a new contract. When he gets it will return to the new season overweight.

The first part is probably true. Not so sure about the second part but time will tell.

GettyImages-609173776.jpg

"No no, I said that unlike what other people are saying, I don't think you look a bit fat"

• Upvote 2

I think he's shite to be honest, i think the same of firminho, neither can be trusted to perform week in and week out so there's no point in having them in the team.

This is why I've go no enthusiasm for us at all, I'd rather have more limited players with some spirit and consistency than a bunch of moderately gifted also rans and never was.