You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Game of Thrones

Kevin D

Who do you want on the Iron Throne?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

The Wire and classic GOT are what happens when you let book writers take their time with world building, the last series is what happens when the TV kids get hold of it, like an 18 year old on the pull in Magaluf, they don't want the foreplay - just the payoff.

That being said, it was still better than most of the stuff that's ever been put out on telly. I can only imagine we've been spoiled, especially when you consider some of the abject shite which gets cooed about on British television these days.

2 hours ago, Mudface said:

Good. I rewatched the entire thing just before S8 came out, even slogged my way through the dross of S6 and 7, but then barely made it halfway through the last series. It really was that bad, and those two pricks running it, then deciding to finish it off quickly so they could do some Star Wars stuff, are completely responsible.

What makes it even more galling is they never even did the Star Wars stuff and they ending up jibbing that off as well. So they basically ruined it for nothing. Used to give them the benefit of the doubt given the quality of the early seasons, but after reading some of the aftermath, it was clear they were a pair of absolute chancers and should never have been anywhere near it to begin with. Treating it as an ''expensive film school' says it all.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danidiplacido/2019/10/28/game-of-thrones-showrunners-david-benioff-and-db-weiss-confirmed-the-worst-suspicions-of-the-fanbase/?sh=7f98ce93f37c

47 minutes ago, JagSquared said:

I do wonder how much GRRM is to blame too though, he was a consultant and he could / should have stepped in and given them more guidance especially when things started to go awry in season 6 but instead he seemingly let them do what they wanted and tarnished his legacy. I know he gave them a rough outline but surely they could have asked for more or did they believe in their own infallibility at that point and ignore him?

Big faults on both their sides really- he'd pretty much written himself into a corner with the books anyway (the last couple were insanely dull because he was constantly having to shift his characters from place to place), hence his difficulty in actually resolving things. I can't see Martin sanctioning something like that ridiculous wight hunt (which should have taken months), but equally the writers couldn't place everything on hold for series after series until everyone was in the right place.

36 minutes ago, Gooch said:

What makes it even more galling is they never even did the Star Wars stuff and they ending up jibbing that off as well. So they basically ruined it for nothing. Used to give them the benefit of the doubt given the quality of the early seasons, but after reading some of the aftermath, it was clear they were a pair of absolute chancers and should never have been anywhere near it to begin with. Treating it as an ''expensive film school' says it all.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danidiplacido/2019/10/28/game-of-thrones-showrunners-david-benioff-and-db-weiss-confirmed-the-worst-suspicions-of-the-fanbase/?sh=7f98ce93f37c

Hahaha, what a couple of bellends.

57 minutes ago, Gooch said:

I heard they were dumped by the big wigs at Star Wars after the reaction to the final season of GOT.

I’ve never read the books. Got the first one from the library a few years ago but found it pretty tough going so didn’t read too much of it. That said, I picked up the ‘Fire & Blood’ book for my missus a while back from a book shop. It’s written as if by a Maester from the Citadel about the 300 years of Targaryen rule leading up to Robert’s Rebellion. Been reading a bit of it for the last couple of nights and it’s actually really good. I think I’ll have to go back and try and read the rest of them again. 

• 3 months later...

I do genuinely find it hilarious how Martin can't be arsed finishing his books. That's exactly what I'd be like, bash one out to make a few million then spend the rest of my life breeding chickens and taking big shits.

"Hey when are you going to finish the sequel?" 

"I'll build a sequel up to your ass....drive a Lionel up in there." 

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

I do genuinely find it hilarious how Martin can't be arsed finishing his books. That's exactly what I'd be like, bash one out to make a few million then spend the rest of my life breeding chickens and taking big shits.

I genuinely I don't think he's knows how to finish them. Not that I can blame him.

Stephen King has made a career out of writing engaging stories that he can't quite write a satisfactory ending to, stories that are not even a fraction of the complexity that is the Song of Fire and Ice series.

I think Benioff and Weiss did such a poor job from season 6 onwards that Martin has had to re-write The Winds of Winter to deviate from it. His next book has to be as good as Fellowship of The Ring, otherwise, he's getting crucified. Who wants that albatross around their neck?

2 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Nice. 

61bc7c95-7378-4482-afdf-0fe8987e6e10_screenshot.jpg

1 hour ago, JagSquared said:

You would imagine they will have learned the lessons of the final couple of season of GOT. Imagine them fucking it up again. 

Are Benioff and Weiss involved again, or do you just mean HBO?

Either way, is there really any enthusiasm for anything GoT-related now after they the final series flatlined so badly?

1 hour ago, Mudface said:

Are Benioff and Weiss involved again, or do you just mean HBO?

Either way, is there really any enthusiasm for anything GoT-related now after they the final series flatlined so badly?

HBO in general I really hope they fleshed out the story and have committed to an ending that works.

1 minute ago, JagSquared said:

HBO in general I really hope they fleshed out the story and have committed to an ending that works.

Ah Ok, thanks. It might be difficult for them to fuck this up, as we know at least in broad terms how the stuff leading up to GoT goes.

4 hours ago, Section_31 said:

The world building in GOT is brilliant, even though I haven't read the books, just the scene where they sail through Old Valyria conjures up ideas of a million stories set in this world. 

590ce183b300b54a068b4573?width=750&forma

Got a bit of the silmarillion about it, the implied fallen noble world with few real ties (aragorn/daenerys) to the present, the idea probably more interesting than the actual stories.

Would read though, not too bothered by the other TV shows. 

• Upvote 1

Never thought I wouldn’t give two fucks about the prequels.  The show went completely up it’s own arse.

Didn’t help that it had a cult of followers telling you how great it still was to the bitter end.  Even when you had to duck with your tv settings to even make an episode watchable.