You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should we be playing Gerrard in the Holding Midfield position?

WhiskeyJar

Steven Gerrard as Defensive Midfield  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Should we be playing Gerrard in the Holding Midfield position?

Guest Numero Veinticinco

He was immense in that role yesterday, especially defensively.

With both Allen and Henso on the pitch, there's plenty of work going on in front of him. Allows him to do his thing.

• Upvote 1

With both Allen and Henso on the pitch, there's plenty of work going on in front of him. Allows him to do his thing.

I agree.

If we get Champs League football next season, then we need a few more players who can play the role Henderson and Allen did.  I can't see them being able to play with that intensity every three days.  Those roles need a lot of energy and players need to be fresh.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I agree.

If we get Champs League football next season, then we need a few more players who can play the role Henderson and Allen did.  I can't see them being able to play with that intensity every three days.  Those roles need a lot of energy and players need to be fresh.

Spot on. I think the manager and the club will recognise the need for a deeper squad with more quality. I'm loving this season so much, it's the first time in ages I'm not already fully looking at next season already. A lot of that is down to Gerrard's brilliant ball delivery and cool head from pens, as well as other stuff.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Penalties or not, 10 league goals from the skipper now this term.

Just to be sure, I didn't mean that as a way to slag the contribution. Fuck me, he has been as cool as ice when taking them. Turns out that it's a bit part of how well we're doing. Those pens are bloody important.

Just to be sure, I didn't mean that as a way to slag the contribution. Fuck me, he has been as cool as ice when taking them. Turns out that it's a bit part of how well we're doing. Those pens are bloody important.

In The Times today they quoted that we had been awarded 10 penalties (scored 8) this season in the league, which is twice as many as any other team. I guess this is down to the number of players we have running into the box - but a decent penalty taker like Stevie is vital if you are going to capitalise on those chances. 

Guest Numero Veinticinco

In The Times today they quoted that we had been awarded 10 penalties (scored 8) this season in the league, which is twice as many as any other team. I guess this is down to the number of players we have running into the box - but a decent penalty taker like Stevie is vital if you are going to capitalise on those chances.

Absolutely. Rodgers commented on it after the game, saying the same was true at Swansea, and it's because of the aggressive running in the box. Having Stevie is a major weapon. Same is true from freekicks with Luis just outside the box, or Stevie from wide areas.

He needs to either tread carefully or kick Cattermole, as we'll definitely need him for the City game.

Really? We played without him at their place & everyone was saying we're better without him. Wouldn't worry me in the slightest going into the Citeh game without him. In fact, if he's gonna miss a game, I hope it's this one.

We did well without him, but those games were earlier in the season when wobbles were allowed and we could write off defeats. The City and Chelsea games are in the run-in and could define whether we get a proper crack at the title rather than pipping Arsenal to third.

The pressure will be on us, and at times like that there's no player with as proven a track record for rising to the occassion as Gerrard. Systems and age take a back seat in the crunch games where he's concerned, and I say that as someone still not entirely convinced of his new role.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I am depressed at the thought of Lucas playing in that role for us again. It could be a Premiership-losing move.

If he has both Allen and Henderson in there with him? We certainly coped okay with it at Spurs.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

My thinking is that if we're to 'lose' Gerrard, I'd sooner chose the matches. Save him against the likes of Sunderland and make sure he's not carded for the games against City.