You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Steve Clarke sacked by West Brom!

Guest San Don

I've been on that Bus for a while mate. I thought it was taking me to the coast for a nice, relaxing retirement, but it keeps breaking down and choking me with fumes.

Come and sit next to me here and watch the in flight film. It's called "what teenage lesbi friends Amy and Molly did with the Zucchini". It's only just started and they haven't gone out into the vegetable patch yet.

Eventually the Bus just drops you off where you started from once the film ends. It's like Franz Kafka only with Chlorophyl and bad acting.

Football is nowhere near as important to me as it once was, a result of no longer going the match. It's not the same watching it on the telly and internet. I used to be really pissed off when we lost, nowadays I shrug off a defeat with ease.

I've been on that Bus for a while mate. I thought it was taking me to the coast for a nice, relaxing retirement, but it keeps breaking down and choking me with fumes.

Come and sit next to me here and watch the in flight film. It's called "what teenage lesbi friends Amy and Molly did with the Zucchini". It's only just started and they haven't gone out into the vegetable patch yet.

Eventually the Bus just drops you off where you started from once the film ends. It's like Franz Kafka only with Chlorophyl and bad acting.

Fuck sake, I've missed the whole film now. Thankfully we're stopping at the pub in about half an hour.

Football is nowhere near as important to me as it once was, a result of no longer going the match. It's not the same watching it on the telly and internet. I used to be really pissed off when we lost, nowadays I shrug off a defeat with ease.

You're like a fucking zen master on here, Tony. Seriously, I envy you.

Without a tragic hero, it's just bad Kafka.

Over the year he was on a downward spiral. Baggies pressed the eject button before it was too late. With the money involved in staying up , not surprised decisions like these are made.

I agree. Owners are probably looking at what happened to Southampton and realise what can be achieved by making these decisions. 

I'm sure West Ham are thinking long and hard about Fat Sam's position. 

• 11 months later...

Would love him back. We need him

Not sure about that, I don't think we were especially brilliant defensively when he was here. If we were it was probably more down to having Carragher around who even now would be better than anyone we've got.

Anyway, I was thinking about West Brom the other day as I saw an interview with Clarke and since they sacked him, how have they actually moved forward? They're no better off.

You get cases like at Palace who brought in Pulis and their fortunes changed. But West Brom, Sunderland, Fulham and countless clubs below the Premier League, all have changed managers in the past 18 months or so and none could say they're really that much better off. There's a lot to be said for stability and a lot of these clubs need to be a lot more realistic with their expectations.

If you need a coach to coach and a director of football to buy the players, it begs the question of what you employ a manager for.

Good chief exec, good manager, good players, job done.

What a concept !!! A pity we don't subscribe to your theory, and seem to be trying something completely different.

FSG didn't sack Clarke - they wanted him to stay. He resigned. We had a great defensive record under Clarke, and could do a lot worse than have him in charge. In fact we are doing a lot worse.

No we didn't, nor did West Ham or West Brom when he went it alone, Benitez is the only manager that can lay claim to having a great defensive record here in the PL era.

It's a complete and utter myth that Steve Clarke is this defensive mastermind, why do so many Liverpool fans buy into it?

No we didn't, nor did West Ham or West Brom when he went it alone, Benitez is the only manager that can lay claim to having a great defensive record here in the PL era.

In one.

Clarke's impact on our defence was marginal and at a time when we were far far less attacking. In Clarke's full season with us we scored 47 and conceded 40, in the two seasons following with Rogers in charge we scored 71 and conceded 43 then scored 101 and conceded 50.

Not sure about those who see Clarke as some sort of defensive messiah who'll swoop in and save us but I wouldn't have swapped those 10 goals conceded for the  54 extra scored, or the 24 extra for that matter.

• Upvote 1

In one.

Clarke's impact on our defence was marginal and at a time when we were far far less attacking. In Clarke's full season with us we scored 47 and conceded 40, in the two seasons following with Rogers in charge we scored 71 and conceded 43 then scored 101 and conceded 50.

Not sure about those who see Clarke as some sort of defensive messiah who'll swoop in and save us but I wouldn't have swapped those 10 goals conceded for the  54 extra scored, or the 24 extra for that matter.

To be fair we did have Jay Spearing and Charlie Adam in midfield when we conceded a lot of those goals after Lucas got crocked. Or Gerrard in the holding role with Lucas injured and we've seen what that does for the goals against column. Plus it was the time where Reina wouldn't save a shot.

Clarke's job is to organise a defence and he does it well as coach. Who were widely regarded as our best two players in 11/12? Skrtel and Agger. Skrtel won our player of the year award and Agger probably would have if he didn't keep getting injured. Even Johnson was pretty good that season.

Even as manager, when Clarke had that good season at West Brom in 2012/13 they conceded 57 goals, finishing 8th, but with a negative goal difference.

Scored a lot, conceded a lot, and drew the second fewest amount of games, all suggesting that they were anything but defensively well drilled and solid.

I know, 'Larwo' at Newcastle is pretty much the only example I can think of off hand. Yet people talk about it all the time on here like it's a thing that works.One instruction off the defensive coach, then another off the gaffer who knows how to attack. I think the two things are linked quite closely, getting contrasting view points isn't going to end up pretty.

If people mean 'advice giver', like how to defend corners, then it makes a little sense, but surely he can just ring him up. eg 'hey Brendan, that first header you all go for on the 10 yard line , it's a trap, you always lose it and get pulled out of position..'

Even as manager, when Clarke had that good season at West Brom in 2012/13 they conceded 57 goals, finishing 8th, but with a negative goal difference.

Scored a lot, conceded a lot, and drew the second fewest amount of games, all suggesting that they were anything but defensively well drilled and solid.

It's West Brom, they've always had Championship defenders. 

'A defensive coach' isn't the answer by the way. We just need better coaches than Marsh, Pascoe and Achterberg. Marsh and Pascoe are in no way as good a coaches as Sammy Lee and Steve Clarke who we had a couple of years ago. Steve Clarke is good enough to manage in the Premier League. Sammy Lee is good enough to be assistant manager at Southampton. Neither are necessarily the answer for us but the control freak prefers his yes men anyway.

All the experts on here fucking hell

We nee to do something because right now our defending is bad aids and the last time i can remember us being anything near solid at the back was when Clarke was here. So put that up your arses without lube and sit on it

What difference will a coach like Clarke make?

Rogers pushes the full backs right up the pitch and plays without a good defensive midfielder in front. We have been lightweight in midfield for a few years now its no surprise we can't defend