You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

BT Sport.... Fucking rip off.

Fugitive

I dont work for bt but I am finding it difficult to see what the problem is people are having. I can understand people being pissex at having to pay for 2 subscriptions but that has been going on since setanta. Now bt are offering free footy which will save youthd money your espn subscription costs and you only have to change your broadband to them. Even if you dont want to do that you can stay with sky pay the same price there abouts and get much better quality football.

Not if you have 3 fucking sky boxes in your house and they all get used for sport. Plus paying £15 just to get activated... Robbing cunts.

Full breakdown here. Just makes me more confused. You have to pay £199 for BT Vision? I thought it was just a glorified freeview. That doesnt sound very free to me.

Rate confused.

BT Sport: what you will pay | Money | guardian.co.uk

BT has announced that its broadband customers will get free access to its three sports channels from 1 August.

What sport will be available?

BT is offering three channels – BT Sport 1, BT Sport 2 and ESPN – which will show a range of sport from football to women's tennis. The broadcaster has the rights to show 38 Premier League football matches and exclusive rights to show live games from rugby's Aviva Premiership. There will also be some FA Cup games and Scottish Premier League games.

If you're a football fan you will probably want to run BT Sports alongside your existing Sky Sports package, if you have one. If you are a rugby fan you might just want BT Sports.

How much will I have to pay?

If you are a new customer the monthly cost of taking broadband from BT is £10 on copper broadband or £15 on superfast fibre broadband with capped usage, or £16 a month for unlimited usage. On top of that you will also face a line rental charge of £15.45. To get the sports offer you have to commit to a 12-month contract. Anyone who signs up before 1 August when the channels go live will get free HD channels for a year; those who sign up afterwards will need to pay £3 a month.

When you join you will need to pay £6.95 P&P for the hub. That will be enough to let you watch the channels online. If you want to watch via your TV you will need to get BT TV. This costs £199 upfront with no contract, or £49 if you sign up for a TV package. The cheapest package is £5 a month and you need to sign up for a year. Signing up for BT Infinity, the package delivered through the fibre optic network, means an additional upfront "activation cost" of £30, while the alternative – watching through the TV aerial – will require you to buy a card for £10. Upfront costs can add up to more than £80.

I'm already with BT for broadband and TV, will I get the channels automatically?

No. You will need to commit to a 12-month broadband contract to get it, so you have to actively opt in to receive them. If, for example, you have two months left on an existing contract it can just be extended to 12 months; if you are two months into an 18-month contract you don't need to make any extra commitments.

I'm with BT for broadband but have a Freeview box. What will I pay?

You can watch the sports channels on your iPad or PC for free through an app. If you want to watch on your TV you will need a set-top box. This costs £199 upfront with no contract, or £49 if you sign up for a TV package. The cheapest is £5 a month and you need to sign up for a year. There are also upfront activation costs (see above).

I'm with BT for broadband but have a Sky box. What will I pay?

You can watch BT Sports through your Sky box for free. You just need to call and request it, giving the details of your set-top box.

I'm with Sky for broadband, phone and TV. What would I pay to get the BT channels?

It depends what you want to do. BT and Sky have done a deal to show each others channels, so you could stay with Sky and add the BT Sports package to your existing deal. This will cost £12 a month, or £15 if you want HD channels.

If you decide to switch entirely you won't need to pay for a new phone line, but you will need to pay for a new BT set-top box and pay all the activation costs detailed earlier. The cost of your line rental will also increase from £14.50 a month with Sky to £15.45 a month with BT, as will the cost of broadband, from £7.50 with Sky to £16 with BT.

However, BT is offering free broadband for six months, and as such over the first year it claims that the full phone, broadband and TV package will cost £134.65 a year less. After that you will pay £76.50 a month to get a full package including Sky and BT's sports channels from Sky, and £73.95 a month to get it from BT.

A third option is to keep your Sky TV package and box and to move your phone and broadband. For that your only upfront cost will be £6.95 P&P for the hub.

I'm with Virgin Media for everything. What would I pay to get BT Sports?

Unfortunately at the moment you can't add BT Sports to your Virgin Media TV package, so you need to switch provider entirely if you want the deal. You will need a new phone line, which means an upfront charge of £30, and your line rental will go up from £14.99 a month to £15.45 (although you can reduce that to £10.75 if you pay for a whole year in advance).

BT claims its total monthly cost of a TV, phone and broadband package including Sky Sports is £55.45, while with Virgin Media it is £66.74. If you wanted a package with TV, broadband and phone and just BT's sports channels, not Sky's, it would cost £35.45 a month at BT.

Is this just a one-year deal or will I have to pay next season?

BT says it has no plans to charge for sports next season, but the free HD offer will end after a year. After that, customers who want to continue with HD will pay £3 a month. The company has Premier League football rights for three years and the rugby rights for four years.

Should I be worried about switching provider?

We have had lots of complaints from readers who have tried to get BT phone lines fixed or installed in recent months, so you would be right to have reservations. However, BT says it has taken on new call centre staff and engineers to cope with the demand it expects, but if you want to make sure you get the channels in time for the start of the football season you would be wise not to leave it until the last minute.

Cheers mates.

Just a couple of follow up questions if I may...

Why do you pay £12.50 for BT Vision? Soz if I'm being spasticated, but dont get it? When I went on their site last night it didnt mention anything about monthly costs for it.

You said you have kids. Do you get BBC kids and disney on Vision?

Just for TV, I pay Sky easily £70 a month. I think the only thing I will actually miss from the sports package is the tennis US Open, the rest I can deal without. I mostly end up watching that other sport, that can not be mentioned on here, at work anyhow. I could easily cope with WIZIWIG on a super wank fest Sunday when Im not working. I might even venture into the world of Netflix to spice things up. And while Im at it, I might go ubber crazy and check out Quidco. Thanks for the heads up on that. Never used it before. I feel so down. Choice - this is what the Tories wanted for us all...

Ultimately, Ive just decided I want to fuck Sky off.

Answer to q1 is they have 3different tv packages looks like the top one is now £15 a month.

I get CBeebies as that is a freeview channel but not the Disney channel, but there is also a lot on the on demand stuff for them as well. I'm not sure how good it would be for older children(10 and up)

I have just looked at my download speeds I can get for my area and it averages 59mps.

The user interface takes some getting used to, all in all you get what you pay for. Sky has better channels and more of them. BT isn't Sky so is a major plus in my book.

What channels apart from sport do you watch on sky as that was a big factor in me switching as well, as the wife hogs the tv till 9 most night watching soaps, and when she isn't watching that its docudramas on terrestrial.

The only channel I miss is sky Atlantic.

Guest San Don

Its all here.

If you already have BT broadband, you can get it free on sky by simply registering or download the app and watch on pc \ tv.

Note if you do have BT broadband, registering for the sports channels via sky platform effectively starts a new 12 month contract with BT. At the end of the free 12 months, I pressume you either have to start paying a fee for it to continue via sky or cancel the subsription.

What's not clear is if you have sky multiroom, is whether all boxes will get the BT Sports channels as you have to record your viewing card number. Normally, I'd expect all multiroom boxes to get the additional channels but as this specifically states viewing card and not cards, I think only one box will get it.

I attempted to see what the registration process was earlier but, the site was comgested so couldnt find out.

I've got BT Broadband/ Sky Multi room. Rang BT and they said that they can only supply to one Sky card number' date=' Multi room will not work unless the other boxes have the same card number, and they aren't sure if it WILL work then anyway...................[/quote']

Think this will be down to sky stopping bt from pissing on their parade.

I fucking told you all this in the opening post. You fuckers need to start listening when I speak.

I hope the rip-off cunts go bust like OnDigital did and every BT fucker ends up on the dole.

Still dont see what your rant at bt specifically was though as they will still give it to you free but only in one room. As for the channel well it will have much better football than espn, and you CAN still get it all free if you only want to watch on 1 tv.

Still dont see what your rant at bt specifically was though as they will still give it to you free but only in one room. As for the channel well it will have much better football than espn, and you CAN still get it all free if you only want to watch on 1 tv.

Not if you don't have BT fucking Internet, are in a contract with SKY and have 3 fucking boxes which are all used for Sport. It's taking the piss.

If multiroom was included, I'd probably take the hit but the fact it's not is a joke and they can go and fuck themselves.

Not if you don't have BT fucking Internet' date=' are in a contract with SKY and have 3 fucking boxes which are all used for Sport. It's taking the piss.

If multiroom was included, I'd probably take the hit but the fact it's not is a joke and they can go and fuck themselves.[/quote']

The quality of the footy is much better though and it only costs 1 quid extra.

Not if you don't have BT fucking Internet' date=' are in a contract with SKY and have 3 fucking boxes which are all used for Sport. It's taking the piss.

If multiroom was included, I'd probably take the hit but the fact it's not is a joke and they can go and fuck themselves.[/quote']

Multi room is available if you subscribe to the channel normally though.

Nope' date=' it's not. They confirmed this when I spoke to them and its also written down here.

Will BT Sport have multi-room? | Help | BT.com Help

When I rang them I asked if you got multiroom if you kept sky bb etc and you paid the subscrption they said that you do get multiroom then. The only way you don't get multiroom is if you get it free by getting it through bt bb.

I fucking told you all this in the opening post. You fuckers need to start listening when I speak.

I hope the rip-off cunts go bust like OnDigital did and every BT fucker ends up on the dole.

I do apologise but you are correct it is not available at all on sky multiroom unless you pay separately.

Virgin Media has millions of customers. For all of them it's going to cost more, if you can even get it at all through Virgin which is not looking likely.

At the minute I get ESPN free on the boxes in my living room and bedroom, in HD as well. That's all the prem games they have, Bundesliga, Serie A, FA cups games etc... Free.

So if it's available on Virgin I'm going to have to pay for it because I've got a contract with them so I can't get broadband through BT and even if I did once you stop getting broadband through virgin they put the price of the other things like your phone and TV package up with them.

If you think it's worth me paying £15 a month more to get a handful of extra prem games then you're mad.

I'm not giving them a fucking penny and I'll go and watch our games in the pub or just stream them through XBMC. I'm going to cancel Sky Sports through virgin as well when I can unless they somehow manage to pull BT sport out of the hat for free like I have now with ESPN.

Seems like a massive risk BT are taking with all this to me and my opinion is they are going to lose a lot more than they gain through all this. I fucking hope so anyway.

And then this guy has the balls to come out and say something like this..

"UK Sports fans have had a rough deal for too long," said BT chief executive Ian Livingston. "Many have been priced out of the market but we will change this by giving away BT Sport for free with our broadband. Sports fans are the winners today."

And then this guy has the balls to come out and say something like this..

Fucking hate BT lately. You are right, they have some fucking balls.

That feel when I stream every premiership match I want to see using their delicious broadband, but they have blocked a number of my favourite torrent sites. I now have to use a proxy in order to acquire the torrent file and digital backups of things I have obviously bought already*adjusts collar*.

I'm not hugely knowledgeable on digital rights but how come I can pay $8 a month to watch any and every MLB game online, but buying all the sly sports channels legit is like £25 a month? Gotta love the modern game.

Fucking hate BT lately. You are right' date=' they have some fucking balls.

That feel when I stream every premiership match I want to see using their delicious broadband, but they have blocked a number of my favourite torrent sites. I now have to use a proxy in order to acquire the torrent file and digital backups of things I have obviously bought already*adjusts collar*.

I'm not hugely knowledgeable on digital rights but how come I can pay $8 a month to watch any and every MLB game online, but buying all the sly sports channels legit is like £25 a month? Gotta love the modern game.[/quote']

Dont think it costs $8 a month in the USA think it may cost more.