You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

BT Sport.... Fucking rip off.

Fugitive

But back in 2005 the EU got involved and ruled that no one broadcaster could hold all the rights' date=' they were bundled into packages. Before that Sky had all the games and you paid one price. Now, to watch the same number of games you have to pay two or more subscriptions to whoever bids for the packages.

How am I better off as the consumer?[/quote']

That was the point I was trying to make but obviously not very well. Now though with bt offering football free as part of their set up you at least get more football for the price of a sky sports subscription. You just need to get your broadband of bt to get the benrfit.

That is the way I see it anyway.

I pay £11.99 a month for ESPN on freeview through the aerial' I didn't want to get tied down to a contract or pay through the nose for sky so I opted for top-up tv.

Does anyone know if the same deal will be available to me next season. BT instead of ESPN for the same price?

Cheers.

I pay £11.99 a month for ESPN on freeview through the aerial' I didn't want to get tied down to a contract or pay through the nose for sky so I opted for top-up tv.

Does anyone know if the same deal will be available to me next season. BT instead of ESPN for the same price?

Cheers.

Bt will be available through the arial with freeview with a you view box or something like that but it will cost £13

Looks like there will be a lot more streaming or watching in pubs in future for me. I'm with Virgin Media and have had their XL package from the start so got Setanta and then ESPN included, but I'm not going to pay for any additional subscription for BT's package.

Looks like there will be a lot more streaming or watching in pubs in future for me. I'm with Virgin Media and have had their XL package from the start so got Setanta and then ESPN included' date=' but I'm not going to pay for any additional subscription for BT's package.[/quote']

It will be included with virgin media I haven't heard anything to suggest it won't.

I've been looking into this all night and it could be pretty sweet.

My understanding is, if you simply take out their broadband (and phone line rental) you get to watch the sport channel for free, either on a sky box, bt vision box or streamed online.

If you want to 'buy' the channel as a sky customer, without taking out their broadband, then its an additional cost to your sky subscription. This is obviously the catch as they want more broadband customers.

Im paying about £24 a month to Sky for utterly wank Broadband and phone. BT Infinity and phone works out at about £30 a month, so a slight rise, but can handle that.

I was looking into switching broadband suppliers anyway so this has come at the right time and caught my attention.

I take out everything with sky and get royally bummed each month (tv, sports, movies, internet, phone). This has got me thinking of ditching sky completely, as BT Vision tv seems to be free?

Does anyone have BT Vision as their main TV service at home? I've looked into but just dont get it. Is it just freeview with a recorder?

The main deal breaker for me is, do you get the kids channels? Can you get disney channel, peppa fucking pig and that annoying Mr Tumble bbc channel etc?

Simply, is BT vision any good?

I've come to realise, sport aside, I watch sod all on actual tele thats not available on freeview.

Ditching Sky tv could save a sweet £70 odd quid a month, and in real terms thats like a Hugo Boss Orange garment extra each month, in my wardrobe, to wear, nice, thank you please. That appeals.

It will be included with virgin media I haven't heard anything to suggest it won't.

Sugar Ape posted this earlier in the thread:

Right no there's no word on whether Virgin Media subscribers will be able to access the BT Sport channels but it's looking unlikely. Virgin Media sports fans who previously enjoyed the ESPN and Setanta channels back in the day will likely be pretty miffed, to put it mildly.

So, looking pretty shit for those of us on Virgin.

The whole "monopoly" thing is such a fuck-up though. Instead of breaking Sky's monopoly, they just created a second, additional monopoly! Now Sky have a monopoly on some games and BT a monopoly on others. Meanwhile consumers get fucked in the arse because they have to pay two fees.

The proper way to break the monopoly would be to have several providers supplying the SAME games to viewers. Then consumers could pick and choose which provider to watch their games on, and there would be genuine competition and choice.

They won the exclusive rights to MotoGP as well ....the fuckers.

They won the exclusive rights to MotoGP as well ....the fuckers.

Dorna are fucking up the Motogp rights big style I think.

Eurosport may have its faults but its coverage of Motogp, wsb and bsb has always been brilliant. Best option to provide the coverage in my opinion, good of the sport should be be of more concern than simply the highest bidder.

Rallying chased the money and fucked it up big style and hasn't even got coverage of the world championship in some countries at all now.

I'm done with sky/virgin when the contract w SS in December.I barely watch f****ll anymore and will catch games in the net.I get my NFL through the season pass except the playoffs when I can subscribe to sky go for a 2 months and get the NCAA football online.

The only way I would consider staying would be a package that includes ESPN America for free like it is now.

Guest davelfc

I have just under three months left of having to have sky, I took a new hd box off them and it tied me in to an extra 12 months. I've already decided to bin it, I rarely watch it anymore and if I can find a decent stream on my ATV2 then I prefer that to the droning pricks on espn or sky.

They've turned a sport I used to love into a soap opera.

Secrets do not often remain so in football – witness the last few days – but until Richard Scudamore, the Premier League's chief executive, opened the sealed bids aimed at securing rights to sport's most expensive entity nobody, not even Scudamore himself, had an inkling of the arrival of a new player.

BT's interest in the Premier League came out of left field but its successful bid, all £738m of it, for 38 matches introduced the biggest threat to Sky's two decades of dominance. Both sides deny it, but this is a broadcasting war and at its heart is a battle of the bands.

The business of selling broadband provides the bottom line for BT and sporting inducement has become a key part in that. Sky, stressing its long-term commitment across sports, responded to BT's launch with a pointed statement: "For us, sport isn't a marketing gimmick to promote another product."

But at Sky's west London base it is squeaky-bottom time, as someone once said, about what is developing at BT's new studios in the capital's east. BT, with its deep pockets, will last longer than Setanta and ESPN, both seen off with a degree of comfort. This is, as one industry source put it, a "game changer".

Who has got what

"We are where Sky were 20 years ago," said Jake Humphrey, who will front BT's coverage. "They began with 40 games."

It is a somewhat disingenuous stance. Yes, Sky remain in pole position with the Premier League, having paid £2.28bn for the privilege. They have 116 games and more first picks – BT have 18, Sky 20.

But in the past Sky have had all first picks; it means a significant number of the season's pivotal games will be live on BT.

BT paid £152m to secure Premiership rugby from next season. It will also show domestic football from Italy, Germany, Brazil, France and the United States, as well as the Scottish Premier League and the Europa League, and it has taken on ESPN's final year of the FA Cup. Sky counters with the Football League, Spanish football and the heavyweight of the Champions League.

BT, with two sports channels to fill, announced the rights to MotoGP to go alongside those of the women's tennis tour. BT will also show Women's Super League games live. Across all sport, Sky still has a strong portfolio, particularly in cricket, tennis and golf, although it stands to lose the Heineken Cup.

Who they have got

Sky's latest recruit, Jamie Carragher, adds to an already impressive stable. The line-up BT revealed of Steve McManaman, Owen Hargreaves, David James and Michael Owen does not stand comparison to Carragher, Gary Neville and Graeme Souness. James is the most interesting, a thoughtful and potentially spiky presence – he criticised Neville's dual role as a TV pundit and an England coach, describing it as a "conflict of interest".

Head-to-head

The promises in the Olympic Park, where BT will be based, were of "changing the face of sports broadcasting". Which makes it difficult to see where Tim Lovejoy presenting a Saturday morning show fits in.

BT's match presentation will be different. A studio audience will be involved, as will a section of a pitch for pundits to demonstrate their analysis. It is an innovative and interesting move, one that James is particularly keen on. BT's other strength is Humphrey himself, an adept and easy-mannered broadcaster (ditto Clare Balding, who will present a chat show).

In contrast, Sky will maintain its policy of not having a particular frontman – arguing that it's the pundits who are key.

What they want

On Tuesday the FA put the rights for England home friendlies and the FA Cup out to tender. That is a target for BT – one ITV and the BBC will fight for. BT has already shown it is prepared to spend and will continue to do so come the next Premier League contract, which will be bid for in 2015.

The aim then will be for more games and BT will pay for them. Sky will fight tooth and nail to hold what it has.

What they cost

Nothing was BT's headline announcement. That's a nothing provided you are one of the provider's five million broadband customers. BT broadband costs around £15 a month. Those who already have Sky will be able to get BT's channels through their Sky boxes at a cost of £12 to £15 a month, as well as an initial £15 fee.

After Sky has been forced to spend so much on Premier League rights, there has been speculation that the broadcaster may have to raise prices – the sports package costs around £21 a month – although that is unlikely for the time being, given BT's initial pricing, notably its claim to offer packages to pubs that are 80 per cent cheaper than Sky's.

BT vs Sky: A fight not to be missed - Premier League - Football - The Independent

I dont work for bt but I am finding it difficult to see what the problem is people are having. I can understand people being pissex at having to pay for 2 subscriptions but that has been going on since setanta. Now bt are offering free footy which will save youthd money your espn subscription costs and you only have to change your broadband to them. Even if you dont want to do that you can stay with sky pay the same price there abouts and get much better quality football.

• Downvote 1

I've been looking into this all night and it could be pretty sweet.

My understanding is, if you simply take out their broadband (and phone line rental) you get to watch the sport channel for free, either on a sky box, bt vision box or streamed online.

If you want to 'buy' the channel as a sky customer, without taking out their broadband, then its an additional cost to your sky subscription. This is obviously the catch as they want more broadband customers.

Im paying about £24 a month to Sky for utterly wank Broadband and phone. BT Infinity and phone works out at about £30 a month, so a slight rise, but can handle that.

I was looking into switching broadband suppliers anyway so this has come at the right time and caught my attention.

I take out everything with sky and get royally bummed each month (tv, sports, movies, internet, phone). This has got me thinking of ditching sky completely, as BT Vision tv seems to be free?

Does anyone have BT Vision as their main TV service at home? I've looked into but just dont get it. Is it just freeview with a recorder?

The main deal breaker for me is, do you get the kids channels? Can you get disney channel, peppa fucking pig and that annoying Mr Tumble bbc channel etc?

Simply, is BT vision any good?

I've come to realise, sport aside, I watch sod all on actual tele thats not available on freeview.

Ditching Sky tv could save a sweet £70 odd quid a month, and in real terms thats like a Hugo Boss Orange garment extra each month, in my wardrobe, to wear, nice, thank you please. That appeals.

I have BT Vision, i ditched SKY as i was fed up of handing my money over to them each month.

Essentially it is a freeview service with a recorder( it can only handle 2 recordings at a time- same as SKY). it has a good catchup service, and the on demand service is not bad either.

It has a Box Office section for films(you will pay extra for this).

It's not a massive saving you will make. i pay :-

£14 Phone Rental

£26 Broadband

£12.50 BT Vision

Then for any calls on top!

overall i don't regret leaving SKY as since i have 2 young kids it's hard to watch the football at home anyway, so i now have to go to the pub to watch it. and as we aren't on that often i actually save money.

when i signed up i used quidco and got £100 cash back which made it more attractive, i have just had a look and they are only offering £10 off at the moment but they are offering up to 40% off of broadband.

I have BT Vision, i ditched SKY as i was fed up of handing my money over to them each month.

Essentially it is a freeview service with a recorder( it can only handle 2 recordings at a time- same as SKY). it has a good catchup service, and the on demand service is not bad either.

£12.50 BT Vision

Cheers mates.

Just a couple of follow up questions if I may...

Why do you pay £12.50 for BT Vision? Soz if I'm being spasticated, but dont get it? When I went on their site last night it didnt mention anything about monthly costs for it.

You said you have kids. Do you get BBC kids and disney on Vision?

Just for TV, I pay Sky easily £70 a month. I think the only thing I will actually miss from the sports package is the tennis US Open, the rest I can deal without. I mostly end up watching that other sport, that can not be mentioned on here, at work anyhow. I could easily cope with WIZIWIG on a super wank fest Sunday when Im not working. I might even venture into the world of Netflix to spice things up. And while Im at it, I might go ubber crazy and check out Quidco. Thanks for the heads up on that. Never used it before. I feel so down. Choice - this is what the Tories wanted for us all...

Ultimately, Ive just decided I want to fuck Sky off.