You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest San Don
Use it for Suarez' ban, if nothing else.

Absolutely pathetic if they are dismissing it out of hand

Wont count for the ban and he's likely to be away with Uruguay isnt he? Personally, I think its good for the club. There's no gaurantee we'd get this spot plus we'd have to play a shit load of games to qualify for the proper stages of the comp.

Just my opinion but I think the club has done the right thing here

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just like the rumours of the Alex Pearce transfer...I'm just "meh" on this. It wouldn't really bother me either way.

I'd prefer if we took the chance if we get it but I'm not going to go bananas if we turn it down.

Theres plenty of other stuff thats driven me to rage lately so much that i'm all raged out.

Guest San Don

Years ago, the club had the chance to enter the InterToto Cup (remember that?) as a route into the then UEFA Cup when we didnt qualify through the leage and cups.

The club decided against it. Dont remember howls of protest from fans saying we should persue any avenue to get into the UEFA Cup which, was a far more prestigious competition back then.

Fuck off FSG and fuck off Rodgers, neither are fit for this club.

No ambition, no understanding and no ability.

What happened that fair play league you had we were 8th?

Owners only care about CL football

who gives a shit?

It would be embarrassing if we got into europe because we didnt have a lot of yellow cards

Rodgers is right, we didnt earn it so we dont play in it, its simple

Fuck off.If the rules allow us to compete in a competition, let's enter and try and win it

If it does get offered of course we should take the opportunity, its taking the piss out of all of us if it gets rejected, for all the crap you hear about the EL its still a good comp to be in and a trophy that would be all good to win.

Who really gives a shit how we get into it? that pride stuff about how we qualify for it is a load of shite.

Truly shocking.

Owners only care about CL football

They don't. If they did, they'd hire a better CEO and a better manager. In fact, with the new TV rights deals they don't give a shit about the team's performance as long as the boat stays afloat.

Years ago, the club had the chance to enter the InterToto Cup (remember that?) as a route into the then UEFA Cup when we didnt qualify through the leage and cups.

The club decided against it. Dont remember howls of protest from fans saying we should persue any avenue to get into the UEFA Cup which, was a far more prestigious competition back then.

but with InterToto's case, you'd have to play a whole tournament and win it, just to then participate in the UEFA Cup. In this case they'd just offer us a place in the Europa.

Guest San Don
but with InterToto's case, you'd have to play a whole tournament and win it, just to then participate in the UEFA Cup. In this case they'd just offer us a place in the Europa.

No. This fair play thing means you go in the very early qualifyers for the Europa League IF england moves up a place in the current rankings (as I understand it) so, you end up playing as many games to get to the EL group stages.

Guest ShoePiss

No reason why those early rounds can't be treated as preseason friendlies, it's hardly better competition.

4 UEFA cups would be a great record to add to the collection.

As far as I could read on the direct quotes attributed to Rodgers he said that he would rather qualify on merit by league position than by fair play. He also mentioned that it was unlikely due to the Premier League being in 4th place for the 3 fair play spots.

All the guff around the direct quotes belong to the journalist.

Guest ShoePiss
As far as I could read on the direct quotes attributed to Rodgers he said that he would rather qualify on merit by league position than by fair play. He also mentioned that it was unlikely due to the Premier League being in 4th place for the 3 fair play spots.

All the guff around the direct quotes belong to the journalist.

Qualifying via fair play is on merit, it's a valid qualification path just as league position/winning a cup are.

Regardless if we like it or not, the pre season tour goes a long way towards projecting ourselves globally, in a commercial way. It adds weight behind the club when negotiating new sponsorship deals.

Lets be realistic, without the strength of the club as a brand, we'd be even more in the shit on the pitch. A lot of clubs don't have it, lets not dismiss it all because of a potentially feeble entry, into a competition that hardly any of our fans give a shit about.

Regardless if we like it or not, the pre season tour goes a long way towards projecting ourselves globally, in a commercial way. It adds weight behind the club when negotiating new sponsorship deals.

Lets be realistic, without the strength of the club as a brand, we'd be even more in the shit on the pitch. A lot of clubs don't have it, lets not dismiss it all because of a potentially feeble entry, into a competition that hardly any of our fans give a shit about.

Really what are you talking about? So playing in the Europa League, an actual competition does not contribute to the "brand" but a couple of friendlies with best XI teams in far east do?

For me this decision reflects the lack of ambition and the laughing stock Liverpool has turned into.

Really what are you talking about? So playing in the Europa League' date=' an actual competition does not contribute to the "brand" but a couple of friendlies with best XI teams in far east do?

For me [b']this decision[/b] reflects the lack of ambition and the laughing stock Liverpool has turned into.

What decision?!

Just as an observation, United were hauling their arses out here when they were relative nobodies and we were winning the League every year.

The global thing seems to have worked OK for them.

Mind you, if Liverpool's priority were EL via fair play, that would be fine too.

Its not going to happen anyway so lets just get the rest of this season out of the way first aye? Before an LFC civil war breaks out. The Europa from the first round to final would consist of at least an extra 20 odd games- hardly an advantage to a club pushing for top four spot. Dont get me wrong, I want us to win trophies, but getting back into the champions league HAS to be a priotity this season.

daft comments by Rodgers. If asked for his views on the subject he would have been better off to just say we'll cross that bridge if and when we come to it.

I understand his POV and the clubs wish to go on tour (which has admitted benefits) but the comments just come off poor for a club struggling to win something and out of Europe for the first time in a while.

There is no better way to sell the club globally then competing and winning, neither of which we've done.