You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New thread for the new year. Kicked off on Friday night with the first of many controversial decisions after a pretty good fight between Usmanee and Barthelemy:

From about one hour and seven minutes:

[YOUTUBE]w7lGo1SShj8[/YOUTUBE]

As for fights, Mayweather will be back May 4th but won't confirm his opponent, Froch and Kessler are still involved in protracted negotiations and Pacquiao-Marquez V is on the horizon for April, I think, which is around the time that Khan is due back in the ring.

As far as signed fights are concerned, the first major card of the year is January 19th with Salido-Garcia to determine who the best featherweight in the world is and Golovkin-Rosado in what is going to be a gun fight. Matthysse is back in the ring the week after.

In February we have Garcia-Judah and Martinez-Frampton on the 9th, with Rees-Broner the week after that, then it's Peterson's return against Holt, before Brook fights Alexander in Detroit and David Price takes on Tony Thompson.

Looks like it's going to be a solid opening to the new year, but it will have to go along way to match some of the great fights of 2012. March has a rematch of one such fight in Crolla-Matthews which I plan on going to and Rios-Alvarado meant to be meeting again around the same time.

Mayweather is fighting Guerrerro isn't he, expect another shutout. Hopefully he'll fight Alvarez but I doubt it.

Rumour of Donaire v Rigondeaux which would be ace.

2012 was a damn good year, the promoters finally got it into their heads that big fights have to happen to make money, they can thank UFC for that even though I'm not a fan of it.

The last time I left before Bellew fought, Ovil Mckenzie put him on his arse twice. I won't make that mistake again.

To be fair, when he fought Cleverly there was a decent atmosphere in there, if you cover your ears for the ring walk it's not too bad.

I thought he just shaded the Cleverly fight, in fairness.

BBC Sport - Ricky Burns's January WBO lightweight title defence delayed

Ricky Burns's proposed defence of his WBO world lightweight title will not take place this month, his manager Alex Morrison has confirmed.

The 29-year-old from Coatbridge was due to enter the ring in Glasgow on 26 January against an unnamed opponent.

"He's just having a wee rest before his next fight, which should be at the end of February or beginning of March," Morrison told BBC Scotland.

"We hope it will be in Glasgow so that Ricky's fans can see him in action."

Burns endured a frustrating time in December when opponent Jose Ocampo pulled out of their fight in London just days before the bout.

Ocampo was a late replacement for the original challenger, Liam Walsh, who had been injured in a car accident.

Morrison hopes to confirm details of Burns's third defence of his lightweight title, and his seventh world title defence in total, later this week.

"We want to make sure that we get the right opponent for Ricky," his Glasgow-based manager continued.

"He was very disappointed after his planned title defence last month was cancelled."

Burns' preparations for his next bout will begin this weekend when he travels to Norway to spar, where one of his partners will be the man he defeated in his first world super-featherweight title defence, Andreas Evensen

Kieran Farrell forced to retire from boxing with brain damage | Sky Sports

"Manchester lightweight Kieran Farrell has had to retire from the sport due to brain damage.

Farrell, 22, was taken to hospital in December after collapsing at the end of his first professional defeat against Anthony Crolla.

The problem was initially reported as exhaustion, but he has now confirmed on his Twitter account that the damage was more serious.

"Dr Hewitt confirmed my worst fears today. I will never box again, the next punch to my head could be fatal & the BBBofC (British Boxing Board of Control) wouldn't licence me," he wrote.

"I asked if I had a 4year long break would I be able to box? He told me I have long term brain damage, once its damaged it won't mend.

"I was expecting the worst but it's worse when it's told to you, I'm heart broke."

Farrell ends his career with 14 wins, three by knock-out, and just that one defeat to Crolla in a fight for the BBBofC English lightweight title."

Tony Bellew, Isaac Chilemba set for light heavyweight eliminator - ESPN

Light heavyweight contenders Tony Bellew and Isaac Chilemba will square off in a world title eliminator to determine the mandatory challenger for champion Chad Dawson, Matchroom Sport promoter Eddie Hearn announced Wednesday.

The fight is scheduled for March 30 at the Echo Arena in Liverpool, England, Bellew's hometown. It will headline a Sky Sports-televised card in the United Kingdom.

"I cannot wait for this show -- it's going to be a great night of boxing in Liverpool," Hearn said. "It's a crucial night for Tony, with a win securing a well-earned second world title shot, and he has great momentum coming into the fight after performing well in 2012. Isaac is a tough customer, though, and Tony will have to be at his best to get the win."

Bellew (19-1, 12 KOs), 30, is aiming for his second shot at a 175-pound world title. He has won three fights in a row since suffering his lone defeat, a debatable majority decision to Nathan Cleverly for a version of the light heavyweight world title in October 2011.

Since the loss, Bellew stopped Danny McIntosh in the fifth round of a British light heavyweight title defense, stopped onetime contender Edison Miranda in the ninth round and scored a near-shutout decision win against Roberto Feliciano Bolonti in November despite having to fight through a terrible cut.

"It's a massive night and a really tough opponent for the right to fight for the big one," Bellew said. "Isaac is a top-class opponent. He beat Miranda at late notice and has only one defeat on his record from five years ago, so he'll be well up for this and he's in good form.

"But I'm on the edge of a world title fight, and I've worked too hard to give it away now. It's a great card ... for the Liverpool fans, and I am sure they will turn out in force on March 30."

Since a draw with super middleweight contender Thomas Oosthuizen in November 2010, Chilemba (20-1-1, 9 KOs), 25, of South Africa, has won five bouts in a row. In his most notable victory in the stretch, Chilemba won a 10-round decision against Miranda on ESPN2's "Friday Night Fights" 11 months ago.

"We think that Isaac matches up well with Bellew and this is a tremendous opportunity for Isaac," promoter Lou DiBella said. "It's a title elimination bout, so you take the fight. You roll the dice, and if you have to go to England and fight in the other guy's hometown for the opportunity, you go to England and fight in the other guy's hometown. Isaac has been waiting for this opportunity.

"He's a top-tier 175-pounder, and so is Bellew. People saw Bellew's fight with Cleverly. It was a great fight. They saw what he did against Miranda. They saw what Isaac did against Miranda. It's gonna be a good fight."

Also on the card, Liverpool's Derry Mathews (32-8-1, 17 KOs) and Manchester's Anthony Crolla (25-4, 9 KOs) will meet for the vacant Commonwealth lightweight title. The fight is a rematch of an action-packed match from April, when Matthews scored a sixth-round knockout

Tony Bellew, Isaac Chilemba set for light heavyweight eliminator - ESPN

Light heavyweight contenders Tony Bellew and Isaac Chilemba will square off in a world title eliminator to determine the mandatory challenger for champion Chad Dawson, Matchroom Sport promoter Eddie Hearn announced Wednesday.

The fight is scheduled for March 30 at the Echo Arena in Liverpool, England, Bellew's hometown. It will headline a Sky Sports-televised card in the United Kingdom.

"I cannot wait for this show -- it's going to be a great night of boxing in Liverpool," Hearn said. "It's a crucial night for Tony, with a win securing a well-earned second world title shot, and he has great momentum coming into the fight after performing well in 2012. Isaac is a tough customer, though, and Tony will have to be at his best to get the win."

Bellew (19-1, 12 KOs), 30, is aiming for his second shot at a 175-pound world title. He has won three fights in a row since suffering his lone defeat, a debatable majority decision to Nathan Cleverly for a version of the light heavyweight world title in October 2011.

Since the loss, Bellew stopped Danny McIntosh in the fifth round of a British light heavyweight title defense, stopped onetime contender Edison Miranda in the ninth round and scored a near-shutout decision win against Roberto Feliciano Bolonti in November despite having to fight through a terrible cut.

"It's a massive night and a really tough opponent for the right to fight for the big one," Bellew said. "Isaac is a top-class opponent. He beat Miranda at late notice and has only one defeat on his record from five years ago, so he'll be well up for this and he's in good form.

"But I'm on the edge of a world title fight, and I've worked too hard to give it away now. It's a great card ... for the Liverpool fans, and I am sure they will turn out in force on March 30."

Since a draw with super middleweight contender Thomas Oosthuizen in November 2010, Chilemba (20-1-1, 9 KOs), 25, of South Africa, has won five bouts in a row. In his most notable victory in the stretch, Chilemba won a 10-round decision against Miranda on ESPN2's "Friday Night Fights" 11 months ago.

"We think that Isaac matches up well with Bellew and this is a tremendous opportunity for Isaac," promoter Lou DiBella said. "It's a title elimination bout, so you take the fight. You roll the dice, and if you have to go to England and fight in the other guy's hometown for the opportunity, you go to England and fight in the other guy's hometown. Isaac has been waiting for this opportunity.

"He's a top-tier 175-pounder, and so is Bellew. People saw Bellew's fight with Cleverly. It was a great fight. They saw what he did against Miranda. They saw what Isaac did against Miranda. It's gonna be a good fight."

Also on the card, Liverpool's Derry Mathews (32-8-1, 17 KOs) and Manchester's Anthony Crolla (25-4, 9 KOs) will meet for the vacant Commonwealth lightweight title. The fight is a rematch of an action-packed match from April, when Matthews scored a sixth-round knockout

Tom Stalker has decided to go pro with Eddie Hearn , with a fight in the next few weeks & he will also be on the Bellew undercard.

I predict a boring points decision for Bellew. And I also predict this "final elinator" is followed by a "final-final elininator" aginst someone else.

Ha.

I do doubt that Bellew is going to get the WBC champion in the ring this year. Dawson has Jean-Pascal in late March and the winner of that is meant to fight the winner of Cloud-Hopkins which is March 9th. If Dawson and Hopkins win, then they'll go in different directions as nobody wants to see that fight again; Hopkins will probably retire or fight Cleverly, while Dawson would most likely fight the winner of Campillo-Kovalev as a number of people, myself included, think Campillo is arguablt the second best fighter in the division, anyway.

That's leaving out what happens if Andre Ward, Bute or Kessler decide to move up in weight. At best, he's not getting a title shot for 18 months, not at the lineal version anyway.

Are you going to Detroit for the Brook fight?

Totally agree, aside from the likely scenarios you mention, when Golden Boy propose Bellew to Dawson, I imagine he's just going to say "who?".

Bellew absolutely needs a spectacular KO in this fight to put himself in the frame and create a buzz. Otherwise he could probably do with dropping the "bomber" tag.

No mate, not going to Detroit, I was considering it when New York was mooted as I want to get over there eventually anyway. Detroit not so much. Call me a cynic but even at this stage I can forsee a fight cancellation by Alexander for some twisted ear or something!

Did you look into it?

Got tickets for both the Price Thompson and Bellew cards though, the latter purely for the Matthews Crolla fight.

Tom Stalker has decided to go pro with Eddie Hearn , with a fight in the next few weeks & he will also be on the Bellew undercard.

Stalker's debut will be on the upcoming International Heavyweight Prizefighter show & the cherry on the top of the cake ?

Step forward one Audley Harrison.

I can see Fraudley winning that and setting up a mouth watering clash with big bad John McDermott. It's the fight that the British public have been crying out for.

Do any of you boxing heads fancy joining the prediction league this year?

http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/forum/gf-general-forum/110605-tlw-boxing-prediction-league-2013-a.html

Credit where it is due, well done to Warren. This looks very interesting.

Ricky Burns will take on IBF champion Miguel Vazquez in a unification fight | Sky Sports

Ricky Burns will take on talented Mexican Miguel Vazquez in a mouth-watering lightweight unification fight at Wembley Arena on March 16.

'Rickster' recently missed out on a fight with WBC champion Adrien Broner, because the proposed February date came too soon after a long camp for his December fight that was eventually scrapped.

However, promoter Frank Warren has pulled a rabbit out of the hat by matching IBF champion Vazquez (33-3) with his WBO title holder.

The light-punching Vazquez picked up the strap in 2010 and will be making his fifth defence, two of which came within six weeks of each other at the end of last year.

Scotland's Burns made two defences of his belt in 2012, scoring an impressive stoppage victory over Kevin Mitchell in September.

Vazquez campaigned at light-welterweight for much of his early career, suffering two early losses to then up-and-coming countryman Saul Alvarez.

The only other defeat on his impressive CV came against the still-unbeaten WBO light-welterweight Timothy Bradley.

On a cracking show, Nathan Cleverly makes a mandatory defence of his WBO light-heavyweight title against Robin Krasniqi while George Groves fights Mohamed Ali Ndiaye for the European super-middleweight strap.

The bill also marks the return of heavyweight Dereck Chisora, who is hoping to have his licence back by then.

Chisora was last seen getting knocked out by David Haye last year in a fight sanctioned by the Luxembourg board, as the Londoner was banned by the BBBofC following his unseemly scrap with Haye at a Munich press conference following his loss to Vitali Klitschko.

Liam Walsh, who was Burns' original opponent in December, will defend his Commonwealth super-featherweight title against Canadian Logan McGuinness after recovering from injuries sustained in a car crash."

Burns vs Vazquez

Chisora vs TBA.

Cleverly vs Krasniqi

Groves vs NDiaye

Conquest vs Dawson II

Liam Walsh vs Logan McGuinness