You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

On recent viewing (last Aussie summer) I beg to differ.

Hilfenhaus was, in my opinion, our best bowler.

Besides, Pattinson/Cummins and Hilfenhaus can play together, can't they?

I thought Hilf was a new bowler last season, albeit against those idlers India, and he had clearly gained a yard-and-a-half in pace.

He's not out-and-out fast, and that's why he complements the selection of an "express" bowler rather than contradicts it.

And further to that, it's just a "feeling" I have about him in England next year, I'll admit.

Mind you, we could be having a Vic/Tas crossed-purpose disagreement here perhaps. :whistle:

You could be right Hilfenhaus was a lot better last summer. I just think those three younger bowlers have a lot of potential so you should play them.

Anyway I don't really care, I'm English. Pick the crap ones!

You could be right Hilfenhaus was a lot better last summer. I just think those three younger bowlers have a lot of potential so you should play them.

Anyway I don't really care, I'm English. Pick the crap ones!

Ah, I see now your plan now, Jose.

And don't worry, going by some of the bizzare decisions from our Selectors... since they haven't had the luxury of arguably the best-ever fast/medium bowler, the best-ever wicket-keeper/batsman and the best spinner of all time at their disposal... they will probably oblige you!

Guest Pistonbroke

Watched the highlights last night and honestly thought we might pull it off at one point. massive efforts by Prior, Bairstow, Swann and Broad, but the new ball was always going to be a major problem. Better team won the series and are now number 1 in the World. We are still a decent team and i fully expect us to challenge for number one spot for the foreseeable.

Just watching this Surrey v Glamorgan game, the one in tribute to Maynard, and it was great to see Simon Jones bowling like he used to in his prime before injuries. Bowled Pietersen with a beauty, a massive shame that injuries hampered his carrier as he was brilliant in the Ashes 05 series and had the ability to be a brilliant front line bowler.

Just watching this Surrey v Glamorgan game, the one in tribute to Maynard, and it was great to see Simon Jones bowling like he used to in his prime before injuries. Bowled Pietersen with a beauty, a massive shame that injuries hampered his carrier as he was brilliant in the Ashes 05 series and had the ability to be a brilliant front line bowler.

He was outstanding that series, the reverse swing he got scared the shit out of the aussies.

I don't think he can. Although, obviously, its a mute point because they fucking hate the cunt.

He'll just become a journeyman for the IPL, SPL (Sri Lanka), Aussie Big Bash, all that sort of shite.

On Kieswetter, I just don't get it. Prior is a better batsman and keeper. So is Buttler.

I don't think he can. Although, obviously, its a mute point because they fucking hate the cunt.

He'll just become a journeyman for the IPL, SPL (Sri Lanka), Aussie Big Bash, all that sort of shite.

On Kieswetter, I just don't get it. Prior is a better batsman and keeper. So is Buttler.

Can definitely see that happening with KP. If what is alleged to have occurred really did, then he needs to man up and admit what he did was wrong. Stuff like that can be cancerous if left to fester in the dressing room.

Having said that, an onboard KP would still strengthen England's team, so if it can be sorted before next year's Ashes, it would be to England's benefit. I'd think he has to be the one making the first move from this current situation though.

As for Prior, maybe it's just a longevity thing? It definitely makes sense to monitor keepers as much as anyone nowadays with the amount of cricket being played. Their workloads can be brutal.

Not happy:

Haddin not finished: Clarke

Matthew Wade is young, ready and has shown he has the temperament for international cricket. Despite the fact he has only represnted Australia a grand total of 30 times, he's already played the short forms of the game in 3 countries with varying conditions in Australia, the Caribbean (ok not a country, but you get me) and England. He's only 3 Tests to date were in the West Indies earlier this year, where he had some tough, grinding innings mixed in with one brilliant explosion of a century that turned the game for Australia.

Having the captain openly admit stuff like this can only hinder the blossoming of this fine, young talent and whilst I understand the reason for Haddin returning home from the West Indies was for personal reasons, sympathy shouldn't get him back into the team, as his place was already being questioned and his performances over the last 12 months could be described as 'average'. Which, unfortunately, about sums up Australia's standing in world cricket as I type.

Guest Pistonbroke

Think most of us would agree with that. Kieswetter gets in because he has a better strike rate, but no point having a better S/R if you are out cheaply most of the time.

Guest Pistonbroke

1st ODI against SA about to start...SA win the toss and decide to bowl, going to be a stop/start day and rain has already delayed the start. Either a no result on the cards with more rain forecast or a D/L job...Bopara gets a gig ahead of Bairstow...fucking hell.

1st ODI against SA about to start...SA win the toss and decide to bowl, going to be a stop/start day and rain has already delayed the start. Either a no result on the cards with more rain forecast or a D/L job...Bopara gets a gig ahead of Bairstow...fucking hell.

After Bairstow's performance in the last test, explain that one to me

Guest Pistonbroke
After Bairstow's performance in the last test, explain that one to me

They are going for consistency because Bopara had a decent one day series against the Aussies, but since then he has played three innings and has not scored above 8 or summit and has personal problems at home.

Guest Pistonbroke

Teams:

England: Cook ©, Bell, Trott, Bopara, Morgan, Kieswetter (W), Bresnan, Woakes, Swann, Anderson, Finn

South Africa: Smith, Amla, Elgar, de Villiers (C/W), Duminy, Du Plessis, McLaren, Parnell, Peterson, M Morkel, Tsotsobe

They are going for consistency because Bopara had a decent one day series against the Aussies, but since then he has played three innings and has not scored above 8 or summit and has personal problems at home.

My question was a bit rhetorical really; clearly they have gone for experience but its a bit 'wing and a prayer' stuff in the face of his recent form when it could be argued there is little to lose and maybe a lot to gain by rewarding Bairstow... but given your 'fucking hell' comment I dont suppose you would disagree with me either