You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Absolutely, and neither can we bat at less than two an over.

I completely agree, this morning has pretty much summed up our batsmen over the series. Not having the mental strength to pick the correct balls to attack.

I can't remember the last time England were this poor in a series. With bat, ball, in the field they have been out performed.

It's not all doom and gloom for England though, they have been up against the best test side in the world and have fallen short. There is no disgrace in that but they've not performed to their best. Far from it.

We played our final yesterday, got 170-6 in35 overs. Lost on the last ball of the game, scores tied but they lost fewer wickets. Gutted doesn't come close to how we felt. I dropped a bloke off the final ball, sharp chance close in but should have taken it. I still have the seam mark on my palm to remind me I'm shit.

We played our final yesterday, got 170-6 in35 overs. Lost on the last ball of the game, scores tied but they lost fewer wickets. Gutted doesn't come close to how we felt. I dropped a bloke off the final ball, sharp chance close in but should have taken it. I still have the seam mark on my palm to remind me I'm shit.

And the stick from team mates still ringing in your ears no doubt.

I completely agree, this morning has pretty much summed up our batsmen over the series. Not having the mental strength to pick the correct balls to attack.

I can't remember the last time England were this poor in a series. With bat, ball, in the field they have been out performed.

It's not all doom and gloom for England though, they have been up against the best test side in the world and have fallen short. There is no disgrace in that but they've not performed to their best. Far from it.

I believe it would have been the test series in Dubai.

We haven't played anyone this good for a long time.

I think the problems, unfortunately, will continue for a bit after this series. I posted about this a few weeks ago. The great thing about keeping the same side, which we've done for a couple of years now, is obviously the continuity, and the fact the team becomes just that. A team. But what eventually happens is what happened to Australia. Having to replace too many players at the same time. Pietersen gone, Strauss' place has to be under pressure, revolving door policy for the number six spot (although I'd love to see Bairstow get a decent crack). Suddenly the great batting line up is ripped apart.

The bowling I think is probably less of a problem. Finn and Anderson are top bowlers. Broad hasn't really changed, he still averages over 30 with the ball. He just doesn't strike me as someone thinking too deeply about his bowling. He's also bowling a lot slower for some reason, perhaps carrying a knock of some description. Swann's an interesting one, he's not had a series like this for a while. Against proper batsman, seeming very comfortable against him most of the time.

We still have the nucleus of a very good side, but this series should serve as a wake up call, and I can see slight transition over the next year or so as we integrate one or two new batsman, and I'd imagine one bowler.

We haven't played anyone this good for a long time.

I think the problems, unfortunately, will continue for a bit after this series. I posted about this a few weeks ago. The great thing about keeping the same side, which we've done for a couple of years now, is obviously the continuity, and the fact the team becomes just that. A team. But what eventually happens is what happened to Australia. Having to replace too many players at the same time. Pietersen gone, Strauss' place has to be under pressure, revolving door policy for the number six spot (although I'd love to see Bairstow get a decent crack). Suddenly the great batting line up is ripped apart.

The bowling I think is probably less of a problem. Finn and Anderson are top bowlers. Broad hasn't really changed, he still averages over 30 with the ball. He just doesn't strike me as someone thinking too deeply about his bowling. He's also bowling a lot slower for some reason, perhaps carrying a knock of some description. Swann's an interesting one, he's not had a series like this for a while. Against proper batsman, seeming very comfortable against him most of the time.

We still have the nucleus of a very good side, but this series should serve as a wake up call, and I can see slight transition over the next year or so as we integrate one or two new batsman, and I'd imagine one bowler.

We've not played anyone this good for a while as the Saffas are the best around by some distance mate.

We've been comfortably beaten but I wish we would have been at our best and if we'd still have lost then fair enough.

Kev can fuck off as far as I'm concerned as I share your fears about the side ageing together. However I reckon most will want to see out the back to back ashes series before retiring imho.