You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Brits to be proud of

Section_31

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hugh FW, Rick Stein and Floyd have all got masses of room on my book shelves. I've learned a hell of a lot from them and eaten bloody well (too bloody well) because of these three. They don't just cook, they innovate, educate and inspire. Fuck Heston and his stupid theatrical liquid nitrogen puddings, these guys are where it's at.

hugh-350x277.jpg

keith-floyd-807953343.jpg

1287712656.jpg

So, cheer me up, tell me who the good and the great are in this country these days, in your opinion. Preferably not old school types, I mean relatively new people who should provide an antidote to this new generation of pointless scum.

Come on, people, stick to the task in hand.

There are plenty of great people of Stephen Fry's generation or John Peel's state of aliveness, but we're looking for people who match two simple criteria:

1. British

2. Young (or, at least, someone who has made an impact in recent years)

In all the fields of arts, sciences, politics, sport, etc. are we really struggling so badly that we have to start exhuming Stan Laurel?

Come on, people, stick to the task in hand.

There are plenty of great people of Stephen Fry's generation or John Peel's state of aliveness, but we're looking for people who match two simple criteria:

1. British

2. Young (or, at least, someone who has made an impact in recent years)

In all the fields of arts, sciences, politics, sport, etc. are we really struggling so badly that we have to start exhuming Stan Laurel?

It would seem so! Maybe this proves the point.

He's not especially recent but at least he's the last decade - I'm gonna go for Paul Abbott, writer of Shameless (even though the show itself is not up my street, his creativity and drive in light of a difficult life is inspirational).

Paul Abbott is the seventh of eight children. When he was nine his mother left home to pursue a relationship with another man (with a child around Abbott’s own age); his father, who Abbott describes as having been "bone idle", departed two years later. His mother had supported the family from three jobs. Abbott and his siblings were in the care of their pregnant sixteen year-old sister, quite illicitly; had the arrangement come to the attention of social services they would have been placed in care.

Two years later he failed in an attempt to commit suicide and was sectioned into an adult mental hospital for a short while, later becoming a voluntary patient. On his release, he was taken into foster care and placed with a much more settled working class family than his own, where having both adults in steady employment was a new experience for Abbott, as was their television and car. At the same time he began attending a local Sixth Form College and started attending meetings of the Burnley Writers' Circle after seeing their advert in the local public library

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQgELJmZZKD6E9cQPbO6jQYyHkviSHIMw2Cke-vMDoIaDuFrOJe

I can't say I'm that fond of him as a comedian, but he's become very successful despite having an addiction problem. He also wrote a couple of articles recently regarding Amy Winehouse and the Riots, which broke from the norm and offered a different insight. I think he's quite talented.