You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rise of the far right in Europe.

Sugar Ape

I would imagine the economic sectors in any country at any time really liked each other and shared in common values and goals.

I would agree those sectors did not really like each other too much.

Yep.

I'm a realist, Howie, as you are.

I'm not complaining about the realities of my species.

Just avoiding being called a Nazi cunt once in a while makes my day.

We need to teach Empire in schools. Brexit, our warped national identity and our ridiculous notion of global significance are all rooted in the fact that most people don’t know we just fucking bullied and stole and murdered our way to ruling a third of the planet in Victoria’s day. Even now we cling to that shit: OBE, MBE, etc.

Until this country is honest about its past, we’ll be forever tied to the bullshit rhetoric that these right wing cunts thrive on.

Issue is the politicians and media would never ever want a truthful version of empire taught

Surely it's common knowledge that we stole, raped & pillaged our way to the Empire, the problem is that some people think it was ok because it was us & we're somehow better.

I agree that more of it should be taught in school though.

• Upvote 1

Surely it's common knowledge that we stole, raped & pillaged our way to the Empire, the problem is that some people think it was ok because it was us & we're somehow better.

Agreed. I used to get into debates with my history teacher in school about all sorts. He lived it to be fair and agreed for the most part but the curriculum is fucked. It's just lies. I got an A star in history. God bless the rebels
  • Upvote 1

As did the French, Portuguese, Germans, Romans, Spanish, Mongols, Russians etc etc

While we've no doubt been guilty of all sorts of cuntery, it does often feel like 'open season' from other countries when it comes to sticking the boot in in the first place. 

Always makes me laugh when the Spanish go on about Gibraltar or the Argentines about the Falklands, bemoaning the evils of colonialism, when half the south american continent is called Martinez. 

The Spanish had everyone by the balls back in the day and the Royal Navy was born out of trying to defend Britain's sea lines against their belligerent Catholic skulduggery. Along with the French they tried to invade us not once but twice. 

After that, it's not hard to see why you might want to build a sizeable Navy and acquire resources by fair means or foul when all you've got to go on is a small Island and fuck all in the way of resources.  

Even the Dutch were in on it and nobody ever gives them shit. 

The Russians recently bemoaning Britain's colonial past was the absolute nadir in terms of lack of historical self-awareness. 

• Upvote 3

Just seen an advert on Facebook for a Tesco money transfer service. Three pictures. One of an Indian looking family. One of a far eastern family. And then one of a Muslim family, woman in the headscarf etc.

50 odd comments. Pretty much all of them were bigoted bile.

Have we ever been this openly racist, xenophobic and bigoted as a country? It's an absolute joke.

• Upvote 1

Just seen an advert on Facebook for a Tesco money transfer service. Three pictures. One of an Indian looking family. One of a far eastern family. And then one of a Muslim family, woman in the headscarf etc.

Have we ever been this openly racist, xenophobic and bigoted as a country? It's an absolute joke.

The ability to express themselves publicly is a big draw for the bile producers. I'd say that UK is probably one of the least racist, xenophobic and bigoted countries in Europe now, all things considered and the Brexit spike notwithstanding.

• Upvote 1

Yes, you have.

During the two World Wars, for example, your citizens were instructed to hate fellow civilians not a few hours away by plane.

You know, Huns, Turks, and further afield, Japs etc...

It was just as serious then, but the veil of war and Churchill's subsequent "Iron Curtain" made it all respectable and acceptable, and "fair".

The ability to express themselves publicly is a big draw for the bile producers. I'd say that UK is probably one of the least racist, xenophobic and bigoted countries in Europe now, all things considered and the Brexit spike notwithstanding.

Would agree with that. 

The BNP and UKIP have been effectively destroyed, the younger generation are the most liberal generation I'd say we've ever had. Black, white, straight, gay, they're not arsed. 

• Upvote 1

Indeed. 

Certainly nowhere near as in days of yore.

Yes, you have.

During the two World Wars, for example, your citizens were instructed to hate fellow civilians not a few hours away by plane.

You know, Huns, Turks, and further afield, Japs etc...

It was just as serious then, but the veil of war and Churchill's subsequent "Iron Curtain" made it all respectable and acceptable, and "fair".

Fancy hating the enemy in a war. Mental.

It definitely seemed to step up a gear almost exactly 2 years ago.

The Referendum result gave the twats a feeling that their time had come; and they haven't looked back since.

We need to teach Empire in schools. Brexit, our warped national identity and our ridiculous notion of global significance are all rooted in the fact that most people don’t know we just fucking bullied and stole and murdered our way to ruling a third of the planet in Victoria’s day. Even now we cling to that shit: OBE, MBE, etc.

Until this country is honest about its past, we’ll be forever tied to the bullshit rhetoric that these right wing cunts thrive on.

The idea that we should counter a one-sided narrative by instead teaching the opposite one-sided narrative is an interesting notion. But I suppose nobody does shades of grey any more.

The idea that we should counter a one-sided narrative by instead teaching the opposite one-sided narrative is an interesting notion. But I suppose nobody does shades of grey any more.

He didn't actually call for a one-sided narrative.  He called for honesty.

You're doing your thing again, aren't you: pretending that the other person has made a black & white argument and then sneering at them for not being as sophisticated and nuanced as you.

He didn't actually call for a one-sided narrative.  He called for honesty.

You're doing your thing again, aren't you: pretending that the other person has made a black & white argument and then sneering at them for not being as sophisticated and nuanced as you.

But it's not honest, which is my point. The British Empire wasn't all love and light, but nor was it all raping and pillaging. Each of those stances is equally ridiculous, and, yes, I will sneer at anyone who holds either of those laughable, risibly wrong beliefs.

I think Paul's assertion that "we just fucking bullied and stole and murdered our way to ruling a third of the planet" indicates he thinks very little of the former should be taught.

Britain did some reprehensible shit, it also did some pretty excellent things. There's a reason we still have a Commonwealth, it's because our former colonies don't fucking despise us. Compare that to how the Algerians feel about the French. NP will be able to tell you about the Belgians.

The legacy of the British Empire is an extremely complex one, and it certainly cannot be summed up with superficial condemnation.