You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The dreams we had as children compilation of Noel doing acoustic Oasis songs is fucking sublime, if he's gone down that route or when he does it'll be superb.

I reckon this might be a bit like Wellers early solo stuff, finding his feet.

Either way, i'll buy it, i'll love it and i'll be going to see him hopefully

The dreams we had as children compilation of Noel doing acoustic Oasis songs is fucking sublime, if he's gone down that route or when he does it'll be superb.

Amen!

Guest ian garro

Is. Right.

Of course, it's not really fashionable to like him these days though, is it ?

I wonder what it will sound like? Oh ye its Noel Gallagher we're talking about so it will be either acoustic songs you've heard a million times before or cranked up Marshall layed mess both of which you've heard a million times before. Will it contain anythin remotely different to waht he's done before? Probably not... Will it be creatively different than anything hes done before? Nope. It will be the same as all the other soppy shite accompanied by a few of his 'dry humoured' interviews we're everybody goes "he's dead funny and clever Noel isn't he" while he jibes ant his brother and calls him a loser. Its hard to see someone who's music you grew up with and respect as an artist let you down year after year by making zero creative progress or attempting in any way to evolve as a creative individual.

I wonder what it will sound like? Oh ye its Noel Gallagher we're talking about so it will be either acoustic songs you've heard a million times before or cranked up Marshall layed mess both of which you've heard a million times before. Will it contain anythin remotely different to waht he's done before? Probably not... Will it be creatively different than anything hes done before? Nope. It will be the same as all the other soppy shite accompanied by a few of his 'dry humoured' interviews we're everybody goes "he's dead funny and clever Noel isn't he" while he jibes ant his brother and calls him a loser. Its hard to see someone who's music you grew up with and respect as an artist let you down year after year by making zero creative progress or attempting in any way to evolve as a creative individual.

He is what he is, in fairness he said many years ago words to the effect of but very close to "If you're looking for Sgt Peppers, it isn't in here mate"

It will sound exactly the same as everything else he's done.

I'm more than inclined to agree mate, but with a minor reservation : the best thing Gallagher's ever written (imo) wasn't even for Oasis, it was for Ian Brown - "Keep What Ya Got".

Love that song, even though Brown allegedly and deliberately "De-Oasisised" it in the studio.

Hope Noel surprises everyone though.

Hang on a second there fella. Are you for real ?

Im willing to bet right here right now that a few of those tunes due out in October will be removed from what you or I might perceive as the 'oasis' sound or the 'Noel' sound that youv'e got going round yer head.

Did he or did he not write tunes that removed himself from that sound anyway ? I think you'll find he did mate.

And anyway, Why did he need to diversify (the sound) in the oasis years ?

It worked didnt it ? People loved them and still do and always will.

Wasn't it George Martin who said he was the best songwriter of a generation ?

I think thats enough to make anyone think 'dont fix, what aint broken'.

You know what yer getting with Noel, no frills, no bullshit, no pretension, it is what it is.

Lets hear one of your tunes mate.

I think Ginny's got a point. You listen to songs like 'Columbia' or 'Slide Away' now and realise 16/17 years later that they've never come close to repeating that kind of brilliance and it's a frustrating thing. The moment 'Morning Glory' went platinum it all became just as much about the business as it was the music for someone like Noel Gallagher, understandably in some regards. He's kept that fan base by hardly daring to stray from the Oasis 'formula' over the years, and i don't think he's particularly secure in his own talents either. You can see the temptation to diversify has been there with his collaborations with The Chemical Brothers and UNKLE, for example but creatively i think he lost himself somewhat back 1997.

Now, it's interesting because the High Flying Birds stuff will obviously be geared towards the Oasis fan base whereas the work with Amorphous Androgynous allows him to move away from that tried formula and hopefully he'll surprise us with something just a bit special.

I hate musical snobbery, of which there is plenty in this thread. "Oasis never developed and did anything different!" Oh fuck off! They provided anthems for a generation, they were the soundtrack of many people's lives. Even their so-called shit albums are very good when compared to the music that their peers were releasing at the same time. I'm sure someone will come on and list a few bands that nobody has ever fucking heard of and will marvel at how musically diverse and intelligent their music was, but I really couldn't give a shit.

I may actually even pay to download this album & I will definitely be in the market for tickets to see him. You know what, I think my mum will buy it too, I also think my nephew will probably buy it. That's the potential appeal of Noel & while that might not be the coolest thing in the playground, it's definitely a measure of popularity.

Good luck to Noel!

• Upvote 1

Creativeness or change is not always the best direction. As an example I would defend U2 with anyone but they change musically styles for almost every album including Country to Electro Pop but although the albums are good they should have stayed with the Unforgettable Fire 'style'. In the same way Noel Gallagher knows his strengths and he still has a massive market for the "cranked up Marshall layed mess" you describe. I wouldn't change him - its what makes him great.

I hate musical snobbery, of which there is plenty in this thread. "Oasis never developed and did anything different!" Oh fuck off! They provided anthems for a generation, they were the soundtrack of many people's lives. Even their so-called shit albums are very good when compared to the music that their peers were releasing at the same time. I'm sure someone will come on and list a few bands that nobody has ever fucking heard of and will marvel at how musically diverse and intelligent their music was, but I really couldn't give a shit.

I may actually even pay to download this album & I will definitely be in the market for tickets to see him. You know what, I think my mum will buy it too, I also think my nephew will probably buy it. That's the potential appeal of Noel & while that might not be the coolest thing in the playground, it's definitely a measure of popularity.

Good luck to Noel!

I fucking love musical snobbery. It's what separates us from apes. Although they would probably like Oasis.

I've never liked them. I've never owned an Oasis record. Oh, he can write a decent plagiarised tune, and Liam has an excellent Lennon-style rock n roll voice, but if I want The Beatles, I can listen to The Beatles.

I've always been good at this kind of thing. I have a talent for knowing straight away what music and talent is transient and what will always be great.

It's the reason I don't have any shit records in my collection that I'm embarrassed about years later*, or have to pretend was a "guilty pleasure".

They're all brilliant.

*although I did dispose of a few frighteningly average "shoegazing" records about 10 years ago, but "Ride" were great. Honest.

Good luck to Noel!

It's not snobbery it's just a different opinion.

This is why I love the GF, you can always learn something new. Like this thread for example. I've learnt if you have a different opinion, you're a snob, and if you don't want to listen to something, you don't have to! Fantastic stuff

This is why I love the GF, you can always learn something new. Like this thread for example. I've learnt if you have a different opinion, you're a snob, and if you don't want to listen to something, you don't have to! Fantastic stuff

Get out of our Noel loving thread. Snob!