You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Pidge

Former Brazil striker Ronaldo is poised to announce his retirement from football on Monday.

The 34-year-old three-times World Player of the Year has a contract with Corinthians until the end of 2011 but is bringing his retirement forward following the team's shock early elimination from the Libertadores Cup.

Ronaldo scored goals for fun during his time in Europe having playing for the likes of PSV, Barcelona, Inter Milan, Real Madrid and AC Milan before returning for Brazil.

He told the Estado de Sao Paulo newspaper's website his regular injury problems were one of his main reasons for quitting now.

"I can't take it any more," Ronaldo said. "I wanted to carry on, but I can't. I plan a move (in a game) but I can't execute as I wish. The time is up."

[YOUTUBE]-wG_JM0vpoU[/YOUTUBE]

NEKyl2yakOE

One of the very best. Dragged it out too long to be honest, that last injury at Milan was the end.

Do we know what happened there or have I just been living in a bubble?

Absolutely amazing player, shame about the injuries but still fantastic.

98: What hit Ronaldo before the final? - World Cup Wonderland - FourFourTwo

98: What hit Ronaldo before the final?

Saturday 05 June 2010 16:53

Nobody really knows what happened with Ronaldo before the 1998 World Cup final. But that hasn’t stopped the wild speculation, from conspiracy theorists to shock-jocks, politicians and team-mates…

Edmundo’s sponsor allegations

Edmundo, who was on the team sheet before Ronaldo’s return to the line-up, claimed to have witnessed his fellow striker’s ‘fit’ after a cry for help from Roberto Carlos. After this, he claims, Ronaldo took a nap before being whisked off to hospital for tests.

Benched, ‘The Animal’ later suggested that Nike influenced Ronaldo’s return to the team. “Nike’s people were there 24 hours a day, as if they were member of the technical staff. It’s a huge power. That’s all I can say.”

The mystery medic

Some players claim that team doctor Lidio Toledo started weeping when he arrived at Ronaldo’s room. Toledo denies this, claiming Ronaldo was conscious when he reached him, but breathing heavily and with saliva around this mouth.

The player was then allegedly sent to hospital for neurological tests, which everyone thought would rule him out of playing. The tests came back normal and Toledo, another medic, coach Mario Zagallo and a determined Ronaldo decided the between them that he was fit enough to play.

The nervous breakdown theory

One of Brazil’s main newspapers claimed that Ronaldo had a nervous breakdown during the cup. Folha de S Paulo wrote that Ronaldo was displaying signs of depression a week before the final, smashing a bike against a wall. On the eve of the game, Ronnie had a “nervous crisis”. Toledo entered the room and left crying, but Ronaldo wasn’t medicated because of the risk of doping.

They claim that technical co-ordinator Zico opposed fielding Ronaldo, and that the silent departure of the team from the hotel (as opposed to the usual samba party), and absence of a warm-up, indicated a player feud. One group, allegedly led by Dunga, backed Ronaldo’s presence, while another, said to be led by Leonardo, opposed it.

"Football, eh?"

The FIFA conspiracy

Now for the really barmy theories: an e-mail allegedly written by a source at TV Globo states that Brazil “sold” the World Cup to FIFA for a cash fee of $23million.

The idea was to let France win to please new FIFA present Sepp Blatter, and help the French people forget their social problems. FIFA then promised Brazil that the Selecao would have its path “softened” to win the 2002 World Cup in Korea and Japan, and that Brazil would host a World Cup in the next decade. Hang on a minute...

The fateful injection

A few years after the fiasco, motor-mouthed pundit Jorge Kajuru put forward another theory: Ronaldo had freaked out after having an allergic reaction to an injection to his knee from doctor Toledo. People who believed Kajuru at the time wouldn’t admit it: after all, the crackpot pundit regularly rants on TV about people “taking it up the *rse”. Crikey.

The sex scandal

According to rock-solid sources (street corner whispers, pub hearsay, etc) Ronaldo’s breakdown was prompted by an affair between his then girlfriend at the time, Susana Werner – now the wife of Selecao keeper Julio Cesar – and a Brazilian TV journalist.

The Nike ultimatum

In 2000, a Parliamentary Inquiry Commission was set up to investigate the contract between the Brazilian FA and Nike. One of the initial areas of investigation was to be the influence of the Oregon giant on Ronaldo’s final appearance. But the whole matter was fudged. One politician blandly asked Ronaldo who was responsible for marking Zidane. “Will it really help?” replied the striker. The commission closed without finding any answers.

Top player, but for me, it all went south after the World Cup final fiasco.

He's had lots of brilliant moments after that. But the injuries in the following seasons did somewhat hamper his career. But still he managed to come back and perform on the highest level both in the World Cup of 2002 and the following season for Real Madrid. Actually, if you look at his goalscoring records since 1998 he's been above (or even much better) a goal every other game at every club he's played for. Astonishing numbers considering he's been written off for a long time already.

Best striker to grace this earth (in my opinion) and will always be my favorite player ever.

Yes messi is amazing - but hes small, quick, nimble.

Ronaldo was so good because despite his big frame and powerful attributes, he would make a fool out of players with his amazing technical ability.

The last few years have been saddening and I still remember watching him play in the 98 world cup brilliantly (until the final). His injuries are unfortunate for the footballing world, nevermind Ronaldo himself.

Favourite ever player. No-one even comes close. Absolutely gutted when I think how much better he could've been. This man was pulling off skills over a decade ago that the likes of Messi, Ronaldinho are doing now. Phenomenal player and easily the greatest striker I have ever seen. For me he would have surpassed Maradonna and Pele if it weren't for his injuries. I know people bang on about Messi but there's just something different about Ronaldo.

Best striker to grace this earth (in my opinion) and will always be my favorite player ever.

Yes messi is amazing - but hes small, quick, nimble.

Ronaldo was so good because despite his big frame and powerful attributes, he would make a fool out of players with his amazing technical ability.

The last few years have been saddening and I still remember watching him play in the 98 world cup brilliantly (until the final). His injuries are unfortunate for the footballing world, nevermind Ronaldo himself.

If Van Basten played another 5 years Ronaldo wouldn't have come close.

Ronaldo is some fucking player mind.

EDIT: I'm talking about strikers, not forwards.

If Van Basten played another 5 years Ronaldo wouldn't have come close.

Ronaldo is some fucking player mind.

EDIT: I'm talking about strikers, not forwards.

Ronaldo was better than Van Basten in my opinion. That's not to say that Van Basten wasn't amazing, because he was, it's just that Ronaldo was even more amazing. He was faster, stronger, more skilful, arguably a better finisher and able to win a game all by himself. Van Basten was a technically superb striker though and still a sublime finisher.

His goal against celta vigo(?) for Barca is phenomenal. Loved Sir Bobs celebration too, hands on head and in awe.

Feel apart of my childhood has been taken away from me now. I grew up watching him play for inter when football italia was on channel 4 on saturday mornings, just before i went to football training. Tried to copy the 3-4 step overs he mastered, but always ended up looking a right prick.

Best striker i have ever seen.

I wish he had retired at the end of last year, because he has just been sad to watch this year.

Was lucky enough to watch him live a few times in 2009 and 2010 and his brain was still miles ahead of everyone else's he played with, even if his body was not quite up to it anymore.

He has been getting terrible abuse from everybody in Brasil because of his decline over the last couple of years, which is just pathetic if you think everything he went through during his career. He has won everything there is to win (except the CL) and all depspite three knee injuries.

Ironically, the likes of Ronaldinho and Robinho are getting the royal treatment here, yet they are not fit to lace Ronaldo's boots, looking back over their respective careers, though at least Robinho still has a bit of time on his side.

Great, great player and, despite his image, totally dedicated.

Ronaldo was better than Van Basten in my opinion. That's not to say that Van Basten wasn't amazing, because he was, it's just that Ronaldo was even more amazing. He was faster, stronger, more skilful, arguably a better finisher and able to win a game all by himself. Van Basten was a technically superb striker though and still a sublime finisher.

I disagree.

But that's what this place is for. I can see why the majority of people would 'plump' for Ronaldo, hence why I stated if Van Basten had played another 5 years.

Ronaldo was a scarily gifted footballer, but if I'm picking a team I go for Van Basten.

At his best he was the best striker of the last 20 years, no question. At 70-80%, he was still amongst the world's best strikers. A real shame that a succession of injuries and some dubious off-field activities have meant he never achieved in the game what his abilities suggested he could.

I wish he had retired at the end of last year, because he has just been sad to watch this year.

Was lucky enough to watch him live a few times in 2009 and 2010 and his brain was still miles ahead of everyone else's he played with, even if his body was not quite up to it anymore.

He has been getting terrible abuse from everybody in Brasil because of his decline over the last couple of years, which is just pathetic if you think everything he went through during his career. He has won everything there is to win (except the CL) and all depspite three knee injuries.

Ironically, the likes of Ronaldinho and Robinho are getting the royal treatment here, yet they are not fit to lace Ronaldo's boots, looking back over their respective careers, though at least Robinho still has a bit of time on his side.

Great, great player and, despite his image, totally dedicated.

Whilst I don't agree with this I can understand it. Ronaldo was a lazy trainer, partied most nights and even in his PSV days was slightly overweight.

On the other hand as others (including Best) have said he wasn't a bad player despite that.

I disagree.

But that's what this place is for. I can see why the majority of people would 'plump' for Ronaldo, hence why I stated if Van Basten had played another 5 years.

Ronaldo was a scarily gifted footballer, but if I'm picking a team I go for Van Basten.

I was trying to compare them like for like. Van Basten was what, 27-28 when he stopped playing? For Ronaldo, that would be just after he signed for Real Madrid. Ronaldo had two years out with a serious injury when he was at Inter, but before then, he was unplayable.

Absolutely no doubt though that they're two of the all time greatest strikers.

I was trying to compare them like for like. Van Basten was what, 27-28 when he stopped playing? For Ronaldo, that would be just after he signed for Real Madrid. Ronaldo had two years out with a serious injury when he was at Inter, but before then, he was unplayable.

Absolutely no doubt though that they're two of the all time greatest strikers.

Ronaldo was unplayable, I am not for one second trying to play down his achievements, I just think Van Basten was the better of the two and would have proven it given time.