You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Team of the decade.

Code

Team of the decade and % of votes in the poll in the Echo.

Reina - 95,1%

Finnan - 46,8%

Carra - 87,1%

Hyypia - 98,1%

Riise - 88,9%

Kuyt- 69,8% , shudders

Gerrard - 88,3%

Alonso - 85,7%

Garcia - 71,5%

Torres - 95,1%

Owen - 53,1%

Liverpool FC team of the decade voted for by ECHO readers - News - Liverpool FC - Liverpool Echo

This might also add a bit to the debate about what team was the better of the one left behind from GH or Rafa.

There are 6 players GH left behind in that team and from those Rafa brought in he has already sold two of them and only three are left.

Cant disagree much with that team though, but personally I would have used Gerrard on the right and Hamann together with Alonso.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cant disagree much with that team though, but personally I would have used Gerrard on the right and Hamann together with Alonso.

Same here. There was a thread along these lines a few weeks back, and I picked Gerrard on the right with Hamann and Alonso in the middle. I also picked Benayoun on the left ahead of Garcia because although Garcia was the better matchwinner, Benayoun to my mind was more consistent. I picked the same back 5 and front 2. I know people on this forum don't care much for Owen, but he was integral to our success earlier in the decade.

Team of the decade and % of votes in the poll in the Echo.

Reina - 95,1%

Finnan - 46,8%

Carra - 87,1%

Hyypia - 98,1%

Riise - 88,9%

Kuyt- 69,8% , shudders

Gerrard - 88,3%

Alonso - 85,7%

Garcia - 71,5%

Torres - 95,1%

Owen - 53,1%

Liverpool FC team of the decade voted for by ECHO readers - News - Liverpool FC - Liverpool Echo

This might also add a bit to the debate about what team was the better of the one left behind from GH or Rafa.

There are 6 players GH left behind in that team and from those Rafa brought in he has already sold two of them and only three are left.

Did not Benitez make Carragher into a CB and put Gerrard on the right?

Edited by Spartacus
sp

If were we talking from a single-season point of view, Babbel was by far the best right-back this decade. Simply outstanding. The only reason I discounted him in the first XI was because it was only one season. It is certainly not his fault, and he did extremely well to even return to playing after such a debilitating illness. Why have so many of our key performers suffered cruel illnesses or injuries just when they were bang in form?

Owen, Gerrard and Carragher were homegrown weren't they though. Fucking bob monkhouse could have been manager and would have given them a chance. What I mean to say is Houllier didn't sign them. They may have been part of his team but its not as if they were his signings.

Not to take anything away from Gerard. He was a damned good manager and put us back on the map. But I get the impression this thread is another attempt at stating Houllier left a better team than Rafa which isn't as clear cut as some might want to make it seem.

Owen, Gerrard and Carragher were homegrown weren't they though. Fucking bob monkhouse could have been manager and would have given them a chance. What I mean to say is Houllier didn't sign them. They may have been part of his team but its not as if they were his signings.

Not to take anything away from Gerard. He was a damned good manager and put us back on the map. But I get the impression this thread is another attempt at stating Houllier left a better team than Rafa which isn't as clear cut as some might want to make it seem.

It's not, I just think many underestimate the job he did because his post heart attack work was poor. As for Gerrard, please don't underestimate the way in which Gerrard was brought through, he may well have been a natural but I've seen them fail to live up to potential and it does take some care.

Ten of those players also played at least two seasons under Benitez and many of them exhibited their finest form under his management. I'm sure that didn't influence any of the voters, though.

I can't even be bothered to insult you.

It's not, I just think many underestimate the job he did because his post heart attack work was poor. As for Gerrard, please don't underestimate the way in which Gerrard was brought through, he may well have been a natural but I've seen them fail to live up to potential and it does take some care.

Your not wrong. Houllier has to take credit for the way he brought Gerrard, Owen and Carragher through.

And to be honest I have to disagree. I don't think many underestimate the job he done. I'd hazard a guess most sane supporters realise he did a damn good job for us but like Rafa he ran his course. He couldn't take us that one step further and actually looked like he was slipping backwards and thus he was replaced.

But I just find the whole Houllier left a better team than Rafa debate to be tedious beyond belief from both sides. The anti Rafa posters try to make out like Houlliers team was a million times better and the Rafapologists try to make out like his team was far superior to Houllier. I think its indicative of the split in the fanbase that nobody can just reasonably sit down and say both we're good squads with a few faults thrown in too.

But I know people will go "But but we're mid table now and Rafa was never mid table with Houlliers squad"

To counter that argument I give you, Roy Hodgson.

--------------------------reina-------------

Johnson/Arby-----Carra----Sami---------Riise

Gerrard-------Xabi------Mascherano-----Benayoun

----------Torres-----Owen(cunt)---------

Putting Johnson in because I believe he is the most talented rightback we have had in last 10 years and I believe he would be the perfect outlet for Xabi and Masch

Think my team would be...

Reina

Finnan/Arbeloa-Carra-Hyppia-Risse

Hamman-Alonso

Kuyt-Gerrard-Benny

Torres

Owen doesn't get in cause he is a Judas cunt.

I've negged you because I fucking hate it when someone states that this is their team, and then promptly names 12 players because they can't make a bloody decision. If you are giving a team then you make your mind up and give 11 players.

I've also negged elnino9LFC1892 for the same reason.

As Shanks once said "'If you can't make decisions in life, you're a bloody menace."

I've negged you because I fucking hate it when someone states that this is their team, and then promptly names 12 players because they can't make a bloody decision. If you are giving a team then you make your mind up and give 11 players.

I've also negged elnino9LFC1892 for the same reason.

:lol: :lol:

Naming teams on forums SRS BIZNESS.