You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2011 Transfer Window Speculation Thread

StevieH

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't heard anyone say that. Like him but Lucas has had a better season.

Wasn't Meireles fault he wasn't at his best though, some old fool was playing him at right midfield.

I like him in centre midfield.

I agree he is good in cm but I would not be calling him a success, to me he is a good prem cm but i dont see any outstanding qualities like xabis passing or maschs defensive work for example.

He is also 27 or 28 so he is not going to improve very much, I think we over payed for him from what Ive seen, even porto fans at the time couldnt believe how much they got and while he is roys best signing I can only consider him decent and would have preferred the money to be spent on other positions.

As for roy with transfers his short record here has shown he can not be allowed any more input in to that area if he is to stay.

That Roy quote about working out the best place to play Mereiles suggest to me that he wasn't a Roy signing. After all, you don't just sign a player if you don't know where his best position is or have an idea of how he's going to fit into the side.

I wonder who is feeding what to the media.

One minute you have players that you could imagine Roy wanting Swp,Bentley etc,players not good enough for teams in the top 5,then you get the younger players mentioned that you would imagine Commolli looking at.

Be interesting to see what happens

Liverpool are set to clinch a deal for highly-rated Swedish striker Kristoffer Peterson.

Sportsmail revealed the 16-year-old had a three-week trial at Anfield earlier in the year and is on the verge of completing his dream move from Savedalens IF.

Liverpool last night also signed Millwall’s 16-year-old goalkeeper Yousef Mercin.

He said in April: 'I am no longer just toying with the dream. It feels like the club really want to give me a chance.'

Read more: Liverpool finally set to sign Swedish hot shot Kristoffer Peterson months after trial | Mail Online

From Mirror

Everton boss David Moyes is ready for a Merseyside tussle with Liverpool over Wolves winger Matt Jarvis.

Moyes is lining up a surprise £4million swoop for Jarvis if he loses his battle to keep Tottenham target Steve Pienaar.

Jarvis, 24, is on the fringe of the England squad – and Moyes has had him watched regularly by Goodison scouts.

Liverpool chief Roy Hodgson is also a confirmed admirer of Jarvis, who signed a bumper new contract at Molineux earlier this season.

Wolves will demand big money for a player they signed for £600,000 from Gillingham three years ago.

Birmingham are bracing themselves for a bitter battle to retain highly-rated centre-back Scott Dann.

The England hopeful, 23, is in fine form – and Liverpool lead the bigger clubs eyeing him.

Brum want him to sign a new deal but Dann intends to consider his options if anyone tables a firm bid.

That Roy quote about working out the best place to play Mereiles suggest to me that he wasn't a Roy signing. After all, you don't just sign a player if you don't know where his best position is or have an idea of how he's going to fit into the side.

Agreed. There was a fair bit of press when we signed him about how Porto were looking to get rid as he only had a year left on his contract and had basically offered him to every club in Europe. I think he was a Macia/Purslow one.

Jay Spearing is set to be signed by Liverpool on a long-term contract as new Liverpool recruitment supremo Damien Comolli steps up his youth policy.

Comolli, 38, arrived at Anfield last month as director of football strategy following the club’s takeover by New England Sports Ventures.

He has been busy scouting for new players as well as tying down the future of the club’s brightest prospects.

Already since Comolli arrived, youngsters Daniel Pacheco and Martin Kelly have committed themselves to Liverpool until 2014.

Spanish forward Pacheco, 19, has signed a two-year contract extension and full-back Kelly, 20, has signed a three-year extension.

And now Mirrorsport understands Liverpool officials are close to getting midfielder Spearing, 22, to pen a new contract too.

Spearing, who has made 14 appearances for the club, still has 18 months to run on his deal at Anfield.

But Comolli wants the club’s brightest prospects nailed down to Liverpool.

And negotiations with Spearing have started about giving the starlet a new three-and-a-half-year deal.

Comolli gained a reputation during his spell as director of football at Tottenham from 2005-2008 for investing in youth.

He helped bring the likes of Gareth Bale, Luka Modric and Dimitar Berbatov to Tottenham.

The Frenchman was dismissed when the club struggled under Juande Ramos.

But many of his signings like Bale and Modric have since come good for the White Hart Lane outfit under Harry Redknapp, who has steered them into the Champions League

Will he ever be a first team player?

Jay Spearing is set to be signed by Liverpool on a long-term contract as new Liverpool recruitment supremo Damien Comolli steps up his youth policy.

Comolli, 38, arrived at Anfield last month as director of football strategy following the club’s takeover by New England Sports Ventures.

He has been busy scouting for new players as well as tying down the future of the club’s brightest prospects.

Already since Comolli arrived, youngsters Daniel Pacheco and Martin Kelly have committed themselves to Liverpool until 2014.

Spanish forward Pacheco, 19, has signed a two-year contract extension and full-back Kelly, 20, has signed a three-year extension.

And now Mirrorsport understands Liverpool officials are close to getting midfielder Spearing, 22, to pen a new contract too.

Spearing, who has made 14 appearances for the club, still has 18 months to run on his deal at Anfield.

But Comolli wants the club’s brightest prospects nailed down to Liverpool.

And negotiations with Spearing have started about giving the starlet a new three-and-a-half-year deal.

Comolli gained a reputation during his spell as director of football at Tottenham from 2005-2008 for investing in youth.

He helped bring the likes of Gareth Bale, Luka Modric and Dimitar Berbatov to Tottenham.

The Frenchman was dismissed when the club struggled under Juande Ramos.

But many of his signings like Bale and Modric have since come good for the White Hart Lane outfit under Harry Redknapp, who has steered them into the Champions League

Will he ever be a first team player?

If ever there was a clear indication that Roy and the clubs position were at polar ends of the universe this is it

Liverpool have raided Millwall to sign teenage goalkeeper Yusuf Mersin for an undisclosed fee.

The 15-year-old has caught the eye of the Liverpoolspacer.gif scouts and they have moved to bring him to Anfield.

Millwallspacer.gif chief executive Andy Ambler has admitted the offer from Liverpool was too good to turn down and that a number of other Premier League clubs were chasing Mersin before he made the switch to Anfield.

"This has been going on a long time and we have turned down lots of offers from Premier League clubs," Ambler told the South London Press.

"But we would find it very hard to compete with the financial clout of the top-six clubs. Liverpool have chipped away and have a lot of money to spend on rebuilding their youth team.

"The money will be reinvested in the youth set-up - and we would always try to get the best deal for the club in these circumstances."

Mersin becomes the second Lionsspacer.gif youngster to join the Reds in recent years following David Amoo'sspacer.gif switch back in 2007.

Sky Sports | Football News | League 1 | Millwall | Reds land Lions keeper